Temperature gauge

Detigers42

2015 Verano leather group
I'll do my best to explain my issue. My 2015 Verano temperature gauge had been sporadic for several months. The needle normally is at the midway mark but then it starts to fluctuate between the midway mark and the extreme end to the left of center (what would be the engine temperature when the car is just started) Ultimately what happens is that I get an error message saying the the AC is turning off in order to not overheat. When I called to make an appointment I was told to check the antifreeze. The only place I can see to check the antifreeze is the reservoir which is fine. I can't see how I can access the radiator to check the antifreeze. Any suggestions? Sorry for my lack of knowledge in my description.

MelsRegal

Staff member
Regal GS 2017
Did you check the coolant level in the reservoir when the engine was completely cold?
Who did you call, the service department of a GM dealer?
Why wouldn't they give you an appointment to bring in the car?

Detigers42

2015 Verano leather group
Hi. Yes, I have checked the coolant level in the reservoir when the engine was cold and it seemed fine. I'll check again this evening when I leave for work.

I did speak with the service department originally and they were willing to see up all subtest but do to Covid, they were trying to suggest customers try to self service their vehicles if it was a simpler problem. My next step is to call them again and make an appointment but was just wondering if anything else could cause that such as a faulty thermostat etc? Anyway, thanks for your reply.

Did you check the coolant level in the reservoir when the engine was completely cold?
Who did you call, the service department of a GM dealer?
Why wouldn't they give you an appointment to bring in the car?

Zeroboostbuick

S.W. Ontario Canada
2018 Regal Sportback - 2010 Yamaha R6 (track bike) Past cars: 92 LeSabre, 98 Regal, 02 GrandPrixGT
I've heard of this before. Not saying it's gonna be the same problem you have, but there is a good chance (like 99% chance) it's the same problem.

Coolant temp sensor ! Unfortunately there are usually 2 of them and can't say which one is bad. There is a way to check with a multimeter.

They're not expensive and sometimes are extremely easy to change. I have Not replaced one on a Verano (either 2.0 or 2.4)... but I assume it should also be fairly easy.

If you think about it for a second... the gauge goes from normal to cold and at the same time the ECM thinks the car is running hot ! LOL

Last edited:
Get your turbo buick badge right here!