• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

The continuing saga of my Wildcat

ChuckBridges

Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada
Buick Ownership
1966 Wildcat 2 door
Hello All Chuck here. I am starting a new thread to post the continuing renovation on my '66 Wildcat Sport Coupe. Up to now, it has been fix the rust, tune the engine and repair the carburetor. Now, today I have to talk to the mechanic and arrange to bring her in for an engine "re and re" as my brother calls it. I want to ensure that the mechanicals a up to snuff. I am not, shall we say, mechanically inclined. I have, in the past, worked on mechanics when required, but since about 1999, haven't had to touch anything. I was going to say 1989, but remembered a 1989 Cavalier that I had. It went through 3 water pumps. One in the parking lot of our Church. It had steam coming out of the engine compartment and when I touched it, it actually fell off. My friend asked "what now?". I said, go to Church.

At least, with these older vehicles we can work on them. On my 2012 F150 Ecoboost, I cannot even find the spark plugs.

Last edited:

ChuckBridges

Buick Ownership
1966 Wildcat 2 door
Well, Bob has done some research and told me that $3000 was just not going to be enough. Parts for my 425 seem to cost about 3 times what a part for a small block Chevy cost. Then, with labour, sending the heads out, and painting, we are going to be $5500+. I just cannot afford that right now. I ordered all of the parts that he recommended originally (Timing chain, timing chain sprocket, Oil pump, gaskets timing chain gasket kit, Piston rings). Ray has a hone and a timing light, as well as a garage so, in the spring, we will fix it up.

ChuckBridges

Buick Ownership
1966 Wildcat 2 door
Well, Bob has my old girl to install the mechanical gauges. Since it is -31 C (-24 F) today, I won't mind if he takes his time and does them at his leisure. It was - 25 C when I drove her down and by the time I got downtown to where his shop is, the heater was putting out really good heat. Fan is a little noisy, but, it is 54 years old. I creak and make more noise than I use to as well. Got a bad cold today (thanks to my Granddaughter, still love her to pieces), and do not really want to go back out again. On the way down, I kept trying to look for a temperature gauge, like in my truck. Well, on the way home I will be able to see it.:D So, stay warm anyone who has to go out in the weather.

Last edited:
Turbo Buick Badge