• This section is for help and assistance with 2018 and NEWER Buick Regals. If you need assistance with a 2011-2017 Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. If you need assistance with a 2010 or older Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. This notice may be dismissed by clicking the X in the right corner.

The Ongoing Saga of "No Device Connected"

wagonlover56

Silicon Valley CA
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence April 2018 Build Date
My infotainment system is at version 22.9. I continue to have issues with my iPhone 11 Pro not connecting either via USB or Bluetooth. Despite the phone being plugged in and powered on, all I see when I touch the Bluetooth icon or USB icon on the infotainment screen is "NO DEVICE CONNECTED". Yesterday, this happened after I sat in the car (car off) waiting for a friend. Consequently, there was no "boot up" screen to wait for as the car was in "sleep mode". I started the car and had "NO DEVICE CONNECTED" for both USB and Bluetooth. Unplugging and re-plugging the USB had no effect. This is really getting to be a frustrating problem. My 10 year-old Nissan Leaf connects my phone via Bluetooth flawlessly every single time and it's software is 10 years old as well. Is this connectivity issue in the Buick just something I have to live with or is there something wrong somewhere? Having to connect devices at "just the right time or they won't work" is absurd, in my opinion. This buggy infotainment system is a serious flaw in an otherwise great automobile.

mitchflorida

South Florida
Buick Ownership
2016 Summit White Regal, Premium II, Moonroof, Driver Confidence Package
I would unplug the cord and make sure the Bluetooth connects reliably before going further.

Once you confirm your Bluetooth works like it should, you can test Carplay with a different cord or phone.

abizzle

Sustaining Member
Baton Rouge, LA
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback Essence
My infotainment system is at version 22.9. I continue to have issues with my iPhone 11 Pro not connecting either via USB or Bluetooth. Despite the phone being plugged in and powered on, all I see when I touch the Bluetooth icon or USB icon on the infotainment screen is "NO DEVICE CONNECTED". Yesterday, this happened after I sat in the car (car off) waiting for a friend. Consequently, there was no "boot up" screen to wait for as the car was in "sleep mode". I started the car and had "NO DEVICE CONNECTED" for both USB and Bluetooth. Unplugging and re-plugging the USB had no effect. This is really getting to be a frustrating problem. My 10 year-old Nissan Leaf connects my phone via Bluetoothy ugh buy flawlessly every single time and it's software is 10 years old as well. Is this connectivity issue in the Buick just you
Hate to hear you’re having that much trouble. I think we’ve all experienced a random disconnect here and there, but nothing like you described. I have a 2012 Explorer for my job and it works flawlessly too.

I’m wondering if the USB module in the console has anything to do with it? I have a couple of spare modules and I can send you one if you’d like.

Jmlo96

Pittsburgh
Buick Ownership
19 Regal TourX Essence
I sometimes have this happen. The way I have to fix it is to unplug the lightning cable from in the console and moving it to the 2nd USB port. I have an iPhone 12.

RegalMN

Minnesota
Buick Ownership
'18 Regal Sportback Essence
On a different car I had, it was really picky about the cable. Cheaper cables didnt work. This was an Android though.

lLePunisherl

Buick Ownership
Buick Regal gs 2019
I had the last version 22.11 and still have random trouble like you. Even the integrated gps system bug sometimes.

Attachments

• IMG_20210925_140239135.jpg
    IMG_20210925_140239135.jpg
    228.9 KB · Views: 20

Pacer69

KC
Buick Ownership
TourX
Has anyone noticed their CarPlay quit working after being in use for say, a few hours on a roadtrip? This is the latest issue with mine. For this issue, I think the phone is overheating when it runs Waze and Podcasts...and then it loses both CP and BT as a result. Happened a few hours into a roadtrip last weekend.

But I've had consistent issues with OP's bug as well. Sometimes turning off the car and restarting a few minutes later helps. My main issue is with CarPlay inconsistently working. Does your phone show it is charging (lightning bolt in battery icon, upper right of phone screen -- but no CarPlay connection) while the cord is plugged into the usb console?

Mine usually does, no matter which cord I use -- and I've tried 3-4 quality cords including Apple's. I've also tried the unplug phone/use other usb port exercise. Sometimes it works, most of the time it doesn't.

The first year or so of ownership for me was plagued by infotainment issues - dealer replaced my antenna, and my HU (which I knew would do nothing, and I was correct)...22.9 was the fix that finally seemed to at least keep all my XM presets. But it did not really help with the CarPlay issue.

I had been having problems with the armrest usb port working - a month or so ago, it was not even charging my iPhone 12 or the wife's 11 on a trip to WI, not consistently anyway (yes, trying different cords there too). I took it into a different dealer afterward; they noted everything, including the error pix I showed them. They said it was in need of infotainment update 22.11, which they performed. They told me to come back if it misbehaved again.

For last weekend's trouble where the phone got very hot while running Waze and Podcasts: I didn't get a warning on the phone about Temperature (when phone is too hot and won't do anything at all 'til it cools down) this time..but I unplugged the phone and stuck it into the AC vent to cool it down. This is my fix for when I get that Temperature message on the phone.

This time, though, the phone cooled down but neither BT nor CP worked again for the rest of my drive...and I wasn't going to stop for 10 minutes to futz with un-pairing/re-pairing, toggling BT on/off, cord dance, etc. It's lost CP once this week as well. I suspect that the phone may play a part in the BT issue, but that my main culprit with CP is the USB dongle in the armrest being defective. I am on the latest iOS 14 version, haven't gone to 15.

Agree, this all is a very frustrating bugbear in an otherwise eminently enjoyable ride.

94cruiser

Sustaining Member
Buick Ownership
Red needle TourX
Has anyone noticed their CarPlay quit working after being in use for say, a few hours on a roadtrip? This is the latest issue with mine. For this issue, I think the phone is overheating when it runs Waze and Podcasts...and then it loses both CP and BT as a result. Happened a few hours into a roadtrip last weekend.

But I've had consistent issues with OP's bug as well. Sometimes turning off the car and restarting a few minutes later helps. My main issue is with CarPlay inconsistently working. Does your phone show it is charging (lightning bolt in battery icon, upper right of phone screen -- but no CarPlay connection) while the cord is plugged into the usb console?

Mine usually does, no matter which cord I use -- and I've tried 3-4 quality cords including Apple's. I've also tried the unplug phone/use other usb port exercise. Sometimes it works, most of the time it doesn't.

The first year or so of ownership for me was plagued by infotainment issues - dealer replaced my antenna, and my HU (which I knew would do nothing, and I was correct)...22.9 was the fix that finally seemed to at least keep all my XM presets. But it did not really help with the CarPlay issue.

I had been having problems with the armrest usb port working - a month or so ago, it was not even charging my iPhone 12 or the wife's 11 on a trip to WI, not consistently anyway (yes, trying different cords there too). I took it into a different dealer afterward; they noted everything, including the error pix I showed them. They said it was in need of infotainment update 22.11, which they performed. They told me to come back if it misbehaved again.

For last weekend's trouble where the phone got very hot while running Waze and Podcasts: I didn't get a warning on the phone about Temperature (when phone is too hot and won't do anything at all 'til it cools down) this time..but I unplugged the phone and stuck it into the AC vent to cool it down. This is my fix for when I get that Temperature message on the phone.

This time, though, the phone cooled down but neither BT nor CP worked again for the rest of my drive...and I wasn't going to stop for 10 minutes to futz with un-pairing/re-pairing, toggling BT on/off, cord dance, etc. It's lost CP once this week as well. I suspect that the phone may play a part in the BT issue, but that my main culprit with CP is the USB dongle in the armrest being defective. I am on the latest iOS 14 version, haven't gone to 15.

Agree, this all is a very frustrating bugbear in an otherwise eminently enjoyable ride.

Red Needle or White Needle 2018?

wagonlover56

Silicon Valley CA
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence April 2018 Build Date
But WAIT - the plot thickens. Today, I left home on an errand and did not connect the iPhone via USB. I DID wait until the splash screens had been up a bit (just before they disappear) to start the car. I got the Bluetooth music screen with "UNKNOWN TITLE" and the functions like the play button did't work. I went to the iPhone and started the music playing and the infotainment screen then appeared as it usually does with Bluetooth music and worked fine. 2nd start of the car after first errand - all worked perfectly. On the 3rd start, I DARED to fire the engine before enough (how much is that) time went by after closing the door and got the usual "NO DEVICE CONNECTED" message for Bluetooth.

Here's the NEW "glitch". Despite the infotainment screen telling me "NO DEVICE CONNECTED", an incoming phone call showed up on the infotainment screen. I didn't answer and it then showed me I had a voice mail. When I got home and shut off the car, I discovered that all the Bluetooth phone functions worked fine via the infotainment screen. Music was still "dead". All this with the message still displayed for Bluetooth connection "NO DEVICE CONNECTED".
(That, BTW, is the Bluetooth icon that shows up on the "AUDIO" screen).

?????????????????????????????????????

Pacer69

KC
Buick Ownership
TourX
@wagonlover56 That is bizarro! Right hand does not know what the left hand is doing. Ugh. Hope you get it worked out soon.

regfootball

my 19 TourX the head unit will spontaneous reboot multiples times while my iPhone 12 Pro is plugged in when on a call. the whole head unit shuts down and reboots and the phone goes back through cycles of reconnecting....and disconnecting. I've had it. the rest of the car is great. I think I am running 22.9 on the head unit right now.

Connecting via normal bluetooth and not CarPlay works ok.

annoying AF

Looking to update and upgrade your Buick luxury automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

abizzle

Sustaining Member
Baton Rouge, LA
Buick Ownership
my 19 TourX the head unit will spontaneous reboot multiples times while my iPhone 12 Pro is plugged in when on a call. the whole head unit shuts down and reboots and the phone goes back through cycles of reconnecting....and disconnecting. I've had it. the rest of the car is great. I think I am running 22.9 on the head unit right now.

annoying AF
As far as I know the CarPlay bugs with IOS 15 have not been fixed yet. That could be some of your problem.

D2R

Michigan
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal TourX Essence

annoying AF
As @abizzle said, CarPlay has a bug with iOS 15.
It is finally fixed in iOS 15.0.2 released just a few days ago.

LLninja

Greenback Troll #1
Illini country, surrounded by bean fields
Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal TourX Essence
I have the CarPlay not working bug all the time, but I can consistently get things to work fine with the Buick phone and music player, likely via Bluetooth, but who knows, maybe it’s through the cable. I have 2 cables plugged, in so sometimes switching cables works, but most of the time plugging in phones to both cables doesn’t work for either of them. On some longer trips I could be in a not working state then 20 min down the road CarPlay starts working. I think I need to get the dealership to upgrade my infotainment system as I haven’t done that yet, but I’m waiting for my next oil change to get that done in one trip instead of 2.

abizzle

Sustaining Member
Baton Rouge, LA
Buick Ownership
Unfortunately, whatever we have now is all we’re going to get from GM. Those of you that have 2018.5 and up models at least have a chance of being able to upgrade the HMI through an aftermarket channel.

Once I get my DSP installed I plan on purchasing a DAC so I can play FLAC files.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!
Protect your vehicle from code scanners