The Regal is Dead. The Encore Lives.

Banjo

2018 Reagal GS
The Regal is Dead. Buick is Going to Sell a lot of those 2020 Encore GX /ST Thats A hot pkg.However I still Love my 2018 Regal GS.

trflesher

2018 Buick Regal Sportback
Where did you see that the Regal is dead?
I was wondering the same thing as @D2R ... where is the article of Regal being dead? I've never been a fan of the Encore ... always looks like an oversized Gym Shoe to me ... but to each their own.

Jack GS

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Metro Detroit
2019 Regal GS
I've never been a fan of the Encore ... always looks like an oversized Gym Shoe to me
I don't disagree with you there. However, the Encore GX is a completely new model that is sized between the existing Encore and Envision. It shares many of the design cues of the Encore, but is a bit longer and has more features. The interesting ones are the HUD, rear view mirror camera, HD surround vision, and park assist.

As far as crossovers go, it's a huge step up over the current Encore: Link to Buick Encore GX Overview

carsrmilife

Brighton, MI
Regal TourX
I didn't read his post as saying the Regal is ACTUALLY dead, by indication of some article he read, but that it's a thought/prediction.

I think the GX is a step in the right direction, for Buick. Also makes sense now, on why they removed the uprated engine option on the Encore. The Encore is so puny and useless, outside of being a basic commuter car for my 70 year old grandmother. What with gobs of space for her giant purse and enough cargo room for three grocery bags! :ROFLMAO:

Does anybody else see Buick as a muddled mutt of a brand now, though? I certainly do! They have what, only the Enclave, that isn't manufactured or playing dress up from another intended country. What happened to the three tiered approach of yesteryear, when they were upscale Chevy's and Caddy's were one step above that? Kidding of course. GM is a hot mess right now, which I could make a whole post on it's own about.

Anywho, I am sure they will sell a bunch of the new GX Encore!

saab93driver

2019 TourX
Buick sells boat loads (literally) of Encores. Almost as many in a single month this year as all the Regals sales so far 2019. I had one as a loaner when my Subaru was being serviced, not impressed so I don't know why, but I see the Encores everywhere here. Not any one age group of driver either.

carsrmilife

Brighton, MI
Regal TourX
Buick sells boat loads (literally) of Encores. Almost as many in a single month this year as all the Regals sales so far 2019. I had one as a loaner when my Subaru was being serviced, not impressed so I don't know why, but I see the Encores everywhere here. Not any one age group of driver either.
That was where my experience with one came from as well, with a loaner. I too, was not impressed the slightest. it was so small and slow. Reminded me of when I had a Fiat 500 Abarth, just super slow. In all honesty, I was just dishing up some comedic banter, since I find the premise of ALL of the micro CUV's pointless. Presumably cash cows for the companies though. Lets take the smallest car, put it on stilts, add AWD and body cladding. Then we can sell it for 10K more, just so people can sit higher and actually buy them!

D2R

Michigan
2019 Regal TourX Essence
I don't disagree with you there. However, the Encore GX is a completely new model that is sized between the existing Encore and Envision. It shares many of the design cues of the Encore, but is a bit longer and has more features. The interesting ones are the HUD, rear view mirror camera, HD surround vision, and park assist.

As far as crossovers go, it's a huge step up over the current Encore: Link to Buick Encore GX Overview
But it is still about the size of a Verano.
We see quite a few of them running around here wearing manufacturer plates.

Skylarkin'

Sustaining Member
Sustaining Member
St. Louis, Missouri
2015 Buick Verano Turbo
I disagree with some of you. We've had an Encore for five years. We've hauled a 58" TV home in it; we've taken trips in it. We bought it for its cargo capacity and mileage. When new, it was luxurious and loaded with tech features that are common today. At more than 100K miles, it still runs well, it rides well despite its short wheelbase, it's still easy to park and maneuver and If we want to use something faster, we take my car.

I'm sure most Encores have sold well to women, who usually don't covet power and short 0-60 times, or if they do, they know not to look for such qualities in a small CUV.

Jack GS

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Metro Detroit
2019 Regal GS
I see the Encore everywhere in Metro Detroit. It would honestly be a great little college vehicle and a cheap commuter. There are plenty of great features standard, as some have mentioned. I don't have children at this stage of my life but I wouldn't hesitate to put a younger driver in a small CUV with AWD versus a Cruze (RIP), for example. Or is everyone putting their kids in Hellcats these days? Lol

GM recently published this press release for the new Chevrolet Trailblazer. It looks to be the Chevy version of the GX, but offers some more offroad and sport tuned performance. ALL-NEW CHEVROLET TRAILBLAZER SUV BRINGS STYLE, SAFETY AND FUNCTIONALITY STARTING UNDER $20,000

2021-Chevrolet-Trailblazer-ACTIV-008.jpg

D2R

Michigan
2019 Regal TourX Essence
I see the Encore everywhere in Metro Detroit. It would honestly be a great little college vehicle and a cheap commuter. There are plenty of great features standard, as some have mentioned. I don't have children at this stage of my life but I wouldn't hesitate to put a younger driver in a small CUV with AWD versus a Cruze (RIP), for example. Or is everyone putting their kids in Hellcats these days? Lol

GM recently published this press release for the new Chevrolet Trailblazer. It looks to be the Chevy version of the GX, but offers some more offroad and sport tuned performance. ALL-NEW CHEVROLET TRAILBLAZER SUV BRINGS STYLE, SAFETY AND FUNCTIONALITY STARTING UNDER $20,000

View attachment 19614
From the press release, looks like there is another differentiator.
The GX can have surround camera while the Chevy does not.

SweetWafer

Sustaining Member
2018.5 Regal TourX
My wife will definitely test drive the Encore GX when we're shopping for a new car for her. I'm fine with an I3 as long as it seems smooth and the 0-60 is under 8 seconds. I would be a little nervous about a new engine, though. The LTG engine in our Regals has a great track record now, but the early version in the ATS did have an issue.

Jack GS

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Metro Detroit
2019 Regal GS
From the press release, looks like there is another differentiator.
The GX can have surround camera while the Chevy does not.
Yup, as well as the HUD and some other things only available on the GX. Buick seems to be going after the technology/luxury side whereas Chevy has more of a sport/adventure theme.

Gusteau

Verano
People seem to really love those little CUVs not my style but people do love them!

D2R

Michigan
2019 Regal TourX Essence
Yup, as well as the HUD and some other things only available on the GX. Buick seems to be going after the technology/luxury side whereas Chevy has more of a sport/adventure theme.
What if I tell you I have seen the HUD on the Chevy here around Motor City wearing manufacturer plates? :p

Jack GS

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Metro Detroit
2019 Regal GS
What if I tell you I have seen the HUD on the Chevy here around Motor City wearing manufacturer plates? :p
Awesome! It's a great feature. Too bad it's this version with the separate panel... Screenshot_20191122-230538__01.jpg

I've seen a couple of the GXs in person and I was pleasantly surprised. Gotta be honest, they look pretty good for a crossover.

D2R

Michigan
2019 Regal TourX Essence
Awesome! It's a great feature. Too bad it's this version with the separate panel... View attachment 19659

I've seen a couple of the GXs in person and I was pleasantly surprised. Gotta be honest, they look pretty good for a crossover.
Ah! Fellow Michigander around Motown! :headbang:
Back to topic.
I see the pros and cons for this type of HUD setup.
This does not rely a special kind of windshield for the HUD to work and is easier to clean. In addition, it can be stowed away if desired.
Bad thing is, it looks like a piece of plastic on top of the dash and I am concerned about how long will it last before it cracks in the summer heat. Not to mention that it may become a projectile when involved in a frontal collision.

Turbo Buick Badge