The right scanner..

Lounice35

Buick Ownership
Riviera
Which is the right diagnostic scanner for my 95 Riviera...also how many pins does this model have on the computer connector inside the car...can I use an adapter? I was told my car has an obdII computer...with an obd1 connection type....not sure..

Dirtybob

Buick Ownership
95 RMS
Your car is supposed to have a 16 pin connector. I would verify this visually.

It would also help to know the ID number on the PCM, guessing it is 16183247. Should be a sticker on the case...

KevinJ

Contributing Member
Ohio
Buick Ownership
2013 Verano Premium (2.0T, AT)
Here is a link to a good thread on the subject:

OBD 1.5

Actually, what you have is an OBDII connector with an OBDI computer.

I have a '95 Corvette with the same "issue".
On the Corvette Forum's, I have read where it appears that both OBDI and OBDII codes can been thrown.
Not sure if this is true, or just urban legend.

I take my 'Vette to a local independent mechanic who has the correct OBD reader for these Mid 90's GM Model years.

LARRY70GS

Oakland Gardens, N.Y.
Buick Ownership
98 Riviera, 70 GS455 Stg1
The OBD1 connection has 12 pins, the OBD2 connection has 16 pins. My Auto X Ray scanner has capabilities to scan both. My scan tool is a good 10 years old though.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
You have a OBD 1 computer and a OBD 2 connector, which has been called a "GM 1.5" at times, no it can't be done with a paperclip to pull codes. You need a scanner that clearly states it can read codes on this year GM vehicles.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.