The window lock also disables rear door handles

88 E5PR1T

Long Island, NY
Buick Ownership
'12 Regal GS, '64 Karmann Ghia, '06 Elise
Found out the hard way, my passenger couldn't get out! I had to open the door from the outside, and then remembered that I had pushed the window lock button. Apparently it also activates the child safety lock.

I keep finding new little features on this car.

laloggia

Buick Ownership
2011 Buick Regal T-02
This is a must have if you have little ones...my 4 year old touches everything. Not cool when he try's to put the window down in the car wash. Locking the doors is a bonus.

FatherDeth

7.0L LS7 Member
Burlington, New Jersey, United States
Buick Ownership
Buick Regal GS
One morning when I was still living in Florida, I came out to find my car had water in it. The rear window was cracked open slightly. I wiped all the water up. It didn't occur to me until a week later, my daughter likes to play with the switch a lower the window. I confirmed this when I told her to role it back up one day. I used my switch and found she hadn't rolled it all the way up. So, the lock button is awesome to have with a 5 year old.

javanscyoc

Buick Ownership
Buick
I cannot speak for the 2012, but my 2011 Regal has manual safety locks for the rear doors. You may want to check the inside edge of your rear doors for this feature.

From the 2011 Regal Owners Manual:

Open the rear doors to access the
safety locks on the inside edge of
each door. To manually set the
locks, insert a key into the slot and
turn it to the horizontal position. the
door can only be opened from the
outside with the door unlocked. To
return the door to normal operation,
turn the slot to the vertical position.

I hope this is helpful to someone. I know even after what I thought was intense research about the vehicle prior to buying, I was surprised when the dealer pointed this out to me.

GottWhat

Shelby Township, MI
Buick Ownership
2011 Buick Regal Turbo (T06)
I cannot speak for the 2012, but my 2011 Regal has manual safety locks for the rear doors. You may want to check the inside edge of your rear doors for this feature.

From the 2011 Regal Owners Manual:

Open the rear doors to access the
safety locks on the inside edge of
each door. To manually set the
locks, insert a key into the slot and
turn it to the horizontal position. the
door can only be opened from the
outside with the door unlocked. To
return the door to normal operation,
turn the slot to the vertical position.

I hope this is helpful to someone. I know even after what I thought was intense research about the vehicle prior to buying, I was surprised when the dealer pointed this out to me.
Believe this has been a federal mandate on all 4-door vehicles for a couple decades? Personally, we keep the rear window locked at all times as our 4-year loves buttons and switches. We also keep his door locked with the child safety lock as described above. The other rear door still opens from the inside with the window lock on and if the child safety switch is not locked.

MelB2020

Buick Ownership
Regal
I couldn't figure out why until I read this post. It's funny because I unlocked the windows so my daughter (14) could roll down the window to open from the outside not knowing she could have just opened the door at that point lol. I have a 2014 Buick Regal. I usually don't have back seat passengers so it wasn't an issue until I was dropping off a friend of hers.

Mrlogic313

Buick Newbie
Detroit, Mi.
Buick Ownership
2012 Buick Regal GS 6MT
Didn't read the whole thread, but 2011 is the only year that has manual child safety switches. 2012 and up, the child safety locks are tied to the rear window lockout button on the driver's door.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!