• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Things My 2003 Passat GLX Wagon Has That the TourX Doesn't

mike69440

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence
The fact remains Buick removed too much stuff off of the TourX, for where they expect it to be hitting in price based on MSRP. I wonder how many buyers are being lost to their crazy MSRP.

I didn't even consider the Subaru. I think their cars keep getting uglier and I don't want a CVT. Volvo and Audi are $10k more, at least, and I would expect long term have an even higher cost of ownership with repairs.
Brilliant GM, rather than taking 25% off MSRP on TourX, 19% on Malibu and 16% on the Equinox, not to mention whatever trucks are "Out the door" these days, might just consider for example rolling back MSRP on a $40K TourX to $35K.
Then have promotions and dealers, play with another 10% depending on how much they want to move that quarter, to let consumers feel good.
Out the door may actually be higher than what they are sell for now. Most customers and the media compare MSRP/ Features, not sale prices.
I.E. Look at Toyota for example.

gobluetwo

A Regular
IL
Buick Ownership
none
Brilliant GM, rather than taking 25% off MSRP on TourX, 19% on Malibu and 16% on the Equinox, not to mention whatever trucks are "Out the door" these days, might just consider for example rolling back MSRP on a $40K TourX to $35K.
Then have promotions and dealers, play with another 10% depending on how much they want to move that quarter, to let consumers feel good.
Out the door may actually be higher than what they are sell for now. Most customers and the media compare MSRP/ Features, not sale prices.
I.E. Look at Toyota for example.
Buick has a bit of a problem when it comes to pricing. They position the brand as premium (above mass market, but not quite luxury - a "bridge" between Chevy and Cadillac). The issue is that they probably feel that a lower MSRP will devalue the brand.

If they lower the MSRP of the TourX by $5k at every level, it gets to be the same as the Sportback. If they then lower the Sportback MSRP (currently $25k), it gets lower than the base price of a Camry, Accord, Mazda 6 (just under $24k). It also can't get too close to the Malibu, Sonata, and Optima at the lower end ($22k-23k).

I don't really understand the strategy with the Regal. If it was to be a loss leader, then they should've just loaded it up and advertised better to actually attract customers. It doesn't seem like it was intended to be profitable. If anything, it was a tentative testing of the waters for the "alternative" body styles (coupe and wagon) and to not create a gap in the Buick lineup.

But what do I know. I'm just a dude making relatively uninformed observations and assumptions.

SweetWafer

Sustaining Member
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
If they lower the MSRP of the TourX by $5k at every level, it gets to be the same as the Sportback.
Put the features back in that are in the Opel versions and the MSRP would make more sense. I was in a Nissan Rogue the other day that had a 360 camera... Auto wipers were a thing in Buicks 20 years ago. Come on, GM.

I too am confused about the strategy of this car. Why did they bring it here? I guess this Regal was in the works before Opel was sold and perhaps they wanted to recoup some of the development costs that had already gone into the US version? The German made Regals from the start of the previous gen did not seem to be profitable from comments given by Bob Lutz.

Pacer69

Sustaining Member
KC
Buick Ownership
TourX
Buick has a bit of a problem when it comes to pricing. They position the brand as premium (above mass market, but not quite luxury - a "bridge" between Chevy and Cadillac). The issue is that they probably feel that a lower MSRP will devalue the brand.

If they lower the MSRP of the TourX by $5k at every level, it gets to be the same as the Sportback. If they then lower the Sportback MSRP (currently $25k), it gets lower than the base price of a Camry, Accord, Mazda 6 (just under $24k). It also can't get too close to the Malibu, Sonata, and Optima at the lower end ($22k-23k).

I don't really understand the strategy with the Regal. If it was to be a loss leader, then they should've just loaded it up and advertised better to actually attract customers. It doesn't seem like it was intended to be profitable. If anything, it was a tentative testing of the waters for the "alternative" body styles (coupe and wagon) and to not create a gap in the Buick lineup.

But what do I know. I'm just a dude making relatively uninformed observations and assumptions.
Good points, I've felt the same since I noticed the msrp (too high) and bought mine at almost fire sale price. Not complaining but as others have said, it's obvious you can't sell cars at rock bottom and expect that to be sustainable. I've also thought they should lower the msrp by $5k and let dealers work the rest of the deal. Makes perfect sense to me, and I think they'd sell really well given a fighting chance. I think it's great to undercut the import sedans, etc. - but yeah, it's gonna conflict with Chevy a bit. They'd have to be very careful there.

I don't see a conflict between pricing the Sportback and TourX the same, they are two different body styles for two different targets, not sure if I understood your comment correctly there though. Too bad things worked out this way — for GM and for everyone interested in cool cars. Because both Regal variants are certainly those. And starting at $5k off msrp (and even at $4k off), I'd put them up as "highly competitive" against the other Germans and Swedes (er, Chinese) for sure, and anything else.

Last edited:

Zaxer

MKE
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
Given the continued success of the Enclave (made in US), Envision (made in China) and Encore (made in Korea), I wonder about Buick’s future in anything not CUV. The LaCrosse is dead, the Cascada is dead (was that supposed to make Buick more youthful? Where’s a Wildcat homage with a Buick massaged LT-1 when you need it?). The Regal as we know will likely end production once PSA ends their contract (let’s all pray for a miracle here). So either Regal will be manufactured domestically (not sure where given GM is planning to idle 5 US plants) or possibly the Chinese version (sedan) may be federalized and imported. No idea how the Chinese version drives - but it looks just like the sportback (sans hatch)...

26C86E1B-E8BE-4846-BBE7-FB16130CEE5A.jpeg

Intuitively it seems unbelievable that Buick might abandon ship on a Regal in their line up. However, the sedan apocalypse is happening in the US. Buick may just say to hell with it and follow in Ford’s footsteps.

lurch70

Queens, NY
Buick Ownership
Owned a 1976 Regal & 1990 Riviera
I'm in a similar dilemma here with the price points.
Features wise, the car is priced wrong at MSRP ...
The only things that attract me to it are the wagon aspect of course, the fact that it's German made and the lack of others on the road (always liked quirky unique cars) ... everything else I have endless options at these pricepoints.

I think it would take an $28-$30k Out the door deal on a loaded 2019 Essesnce to get me into one. Is that possible you think?

mike69440

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence
I'm in a similar dilemma here with the price points.
Features wise, the car is priced wrong at MSRP ...
The only things that attract me to it are the wagon aspect of course, the fact that it's German made and the lack of others on the road (always liked quirky unique cars) ... everything else I have endless options at these pricepoints.

I think it would take an $28-$30k Out the door deal on a loaded 2019 Essesnce to get me into one. Is that possible you think?
What Color?
https://www.autotrader.com/TourX-for-sale Nationwide as of 4-16-19.
If you are anywhere on the east coast I have a friend who has auto transport business. PM me.

Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal TourX
Didn't realize they fold manually, I'm totally fine with that and actually prefer it. One less thing to break. I had tried folding mine and it didn't seem like it wanted to move, so didn't want to break it. Will need to RTFM. Ha.
I thought the same thing initially. The mirrors have a lot of resistance to them, which combined with the light feeling plastic they're made of, gives the impression you're gonna break them when you start applying the needed pressure.

Pedal Commander