This Could Br A Problem.

Ctrcbob

Buick Ownership
Regal Tour-X
My Tour-X does not have a gas cap. Like yours, it has that stupid filler with the spring loaded flap. (Ford started this filling method years ago).

Well,,,, lots of rain in Central Florida lately. Went to get gas, opened filler door and found water laying on the flapper valve. Had I not noticed it, a few drops of water would have dropped into the tank. I had to take a paper napkin to soak up the water before I stuck the gas nozzle in the valve and filler pipe.

FavaBean

DE
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
This problem is easily remedied. There is a drain hole located right below the gas filler hole which has a flexible rubber gasket. Yours is clogged. Take a narrow object and lightly scrape any debris away from the opening. Then lightly push it into that hole.

Below I have an awl poked into the hole. It is currently raining where I live, which is why I am showing water, but only up to that drainage hole.

IMG_20190613_193706.jpg

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
2014 Regal 2.0 Turbo AWD Trifecta Tune
Due to the fact that water can sit in there, using a filler cap with a flapper is a terrible idea. I don't know what some of these idiotic engineers are thinking when they design some things today.

Pathy01

There's a second flap with rubber seal behind the one you see that prevents water from running down the filler tube into the tank. Only when the nozzle is pushed through both flaps does anything flow into the tank. The very small amount of water that could get in when you fill up will simply run through the engine in such a low dilution with the gas that it's of no consequence.

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
2014 Regal 2.0 Turbo AWD Trifecta Tune
Dump a bottle of HEET in your tank as it's good for any water that may have gotten in possibly.
Most gasoline contains ethanol which is alcohol, and that is the active ingredient in Heet that absorbs water to allow it to be burned in the combustion chamber.

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
Water injection was used to increase power in P-47 fighters, and in early 60's Olds Jetfire.
Water will have hard time getting in tank without adapter, which I found out trying to put fuel additive in.

Last edited:

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
From the science class:
Water can be absorbed by a blend of 90% gasoline and 10% ethanol up to a content of 0.5 volume percent before it will phase separate. This means that approximately 3.8 teaspoons of water can be dissolved per gallon of the fuel before the water will begin to phase separate.

Also isopropyl alcohol aka rubbing alcohol @ 99% will work as I used it when getting dock gas at marinas.

75miguel75

Elgin Il
Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal GS
Due to the fact that water can sit in there, using a filler cap with a flapper is a terrible idea. I don't know what some of these idiotic engineers are thinking when they design some things today.
Water wont get that high anyways, as it will drain from the bottom of the gas door and the drain spout. Looking at the angle it was designed to be, water will never reach the filler point of entry. Also going through a car wash has yet to cause any issues. I think engineers are not to blame as that is my profession.

Ctrcbob

Buick Ownership
Regal Tour-X
I’m talking about the filler with the flapper that closes, NOT the housing with the drain hole.

FavaBean

DE
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
I’m talking about the filler with the flapper that closes, NOT the housing with the drain hole.
Whoops! Sorry about that Ctrcbob. After rereading your original post I see what you are saying. Well I hope that my post above helps someone...

And for the record... the drain hole on my car was caked up with something from sitting in the back of the dealer lot for so long.

Darn it... I got pretty wet taking that image - it was raining pretty hard!!