Thought of the 97-04 GS/LS

caddybuick

Buick Ownership
01 Lesabre Limited, 03 Ford Escape XLT, 08 Saturn Outlook XR, 08 Ford F350 SD, 2007 Lexus IS350
Well, I am thinking of selling my 97 Cadillac Eldorado Touring because I am afraid that there is more to come than just a new $624 radiator. My aunt had a 2003 Regal GS that she absolutely loved. She said she had no problems with it when she sold it (she doesn't know what the mileage was when she bought used and sold it). What are all of your inputs in Buick Forums? I really like the Regal and it's looks. What type of gas does do the LS and GS use 87/89/91? What is the MPG? Reliabilty, engine/ tranny problems? Dash light problems like our 01 Lesabre Limited? Warp dash problem like our lesabre? Power window problems? Average maintenance for a year? Which is better: LS/GS price wise? I'm going to college in two years and I don't want an old crappy corolla to drive up in. I want class and reliability. This would be my second car, the eldorado was a test...which sadly seems to be failing at 129,XXX miles....:(What mileage on the ODO should I buy at? What is a good price? I'v seen a few really nice Regal LS and GS's on Craigslist. Inputs please?

journeyforce

Buick Ownership
Buick
Those Eldos are junk and GM should be ashamed about selling them as a Caddy. The Northstar engine had great promise that was let down with shoddy workmanship. Those engines leak oil and coolant(a regasketing is routine maintenance for that engine)

Now you have a few engines:

1. 3800 Series II V6 (non super charged)
2. Supercharged 3800 V6

The regular 3800 Series II engine is the same as in the LeSabre and can use regular unleaded gas.

The supercharged 3800 needs premium gas

Gas mileage is not bad for the car size

The 97-04 Regal is a good car but there are a few things that go bad with them. here are some of them

1. lower intake manifold gaskets on both the SC and non SC 3800 engines
2. Upper intake plenum cracks and leaks near EGR on the regular 3800 V6(the SC version has the supercharger there so it is fine)
3. The dash lights are fine BUT the odometer display burns out so you have no way of telling mileage(it has to do with 4-5 resistors burning out) the good news is it is easy to fix with a soldering gun and some radioshack resisters.
4. Any trans issue the LeSabre has can and will manifest itself in the regal trans since it is the same one(this includes a bad pressure control solenoid)

Other then that the Regal is an ok car. The 97-05 Century is based upon the same W-Body as the regal so if you want a cheaper well riding car

But to be honest with you a no frills reliable Civic or Corolla might be just the car you need to drive to and from school. Good gas mileage and reliability with less upkeep then a GM product. I love my LeSabre but i drive a Scion XB to work everyday and use the Buick for weekends

92sub

Motor City
Buick Ownership
87GN (gone), 2011 CXS (gone), 98 Regal GS
Because the GS is supercharged it requires Premium fuel. Some will tell you it's OK to run mid-grade if you just 'drive it easy'......who can do that when you have a supercharger tied to your foot?
That's really the biggest difference between an LS and GS.....horsepower.
Both are fine vehicles and would treat you well provided the vehicle was maintained well.
It sounds like you do not perform your own repairs/maintenance so realize the best LS/GS you can get will already be almost 10 years old...issues are bound to arise no matter how well you buy.

As much as I like our GS, in your position I would really recommend the 1st generation Lacrosse with a 3800 engine. It's a little larger, a little more modern and will probably treat you better in the long run.

leftoverture

Buick Ownership
LeSabre Limited
But to be honest with you a no frills reliable Civic or Corolla might be just the car you need to drive to and from school. Good gas mileage and reliability with less upkeep then a GM product. I love my LeSabre but i drive a Scion XB to work everyday and use the Buick for weekends
Except we'll have to give you a "slow moving vehicle" triangle sign if you buy the Corolla. LOL.

Really, the Regal is a fine car. Buy the newest you can afford. Or as someone else suggested, find an 04 or 05 Century or the first gen LaCrosse.

damcqueen

fort worth tx
Buick Ownership
Buick Regal GS 1999
I have owned two Regal Gs, 98 and 99. Compared with owning/repairing a caddy these cars are fantastic. Yes, they too need repairs and maintenance, but they cost far less and have much fewer dealer only parts. Not to mention much fewer repairs period. I absolutely love the combination of 27mpg hwy, 280 lbs ft of torque, automatic climate control, leather pwr seats, steering wheel radio controls and a comfortable ride. If they were rear drive they would be the ideal car in my opinion. i have had no engine or trans problems from either car, putting 55k combined on them. I bought them both used from Craigslist. All cars have inherent problems, it just depends on how diehard a fan you are that determines how much crap you will put up with before you say ENOUGH! I have experienced foreign and domestic old and late model, and these cars are quite good all around.

caddybuick

Buick Ownership
01 Lesabre Limited, 03 Ford Escape XLT, 08 Saturn Outlook XR, 08 Ford F350 SD, 2007 Lexus IS350
Do these beauties have auto level rear shocks? No big deal if they do not because they cost to much to replace anyways. Can someone attach a PDF of the owners manual? I'd really like to read it if possible.

damcqueen

fort worth tx
Buick Ownership
Buick Regal GS 1999
No, they have regular struts. My 98 GS needed the fronts replaced when I bought it. So I replaced the front struts and bearing hubs. I used Timken bearings and kyb struts. The difference was amazing, the whole front end was so solid after that, very planted and controlled. I can't wait to do the same with my 99. I am not very tech savvy so I dont know what you mean by pdm. I'd be glad to tell you what you want to know from the owners manual though.

caddybuick

Buick Ownership
Do you know if both driver and front passenger are 8 way power seats? I'v only seen them With a 6 way power driver seat and manual passenger seat. I have only looked for the loaded LS model. I don't want the GS because I don't Want a supercharged DD or higher insurance like the Cad. Is there an option 12 disk cd changer in the trunk? We have a 12 disk in the trunk of the lesabre. Are there auto wipers or manual delay? Folding rear seats (I hate that the lesabre doesn't have it!) Driver memory for 2 on the driver seat?

damcqueen

fort worth tx
Buick Ownership
Buick Regal GS 1999
Sounds like you may want to look at an LSE model, they come as loaded as possible without being a GS. Maybe even a Joseph abboud. Most of the options you listed only come in a park avenue that's nicely packaged. The regal is really buicks midsize sport sedan and doesn't focus so much on the luxury options. You might want a park avenue ultra, it does have the expensive active suspension/struts but it has just about every option the caddys have: 12 disc changer, both front seats are power, memory, automatic dual climate, auto wipers, even vanity mirrors for the back seat passengers. It even comes with the supercharged 3.8 and shouldn't cost any more for insurance purposes. Mileage hwy is still high 20s even though it's nearly 4k pounds. They are way cheaper than Cadillac's too.

caddybuick

Buick Ownership
Well, we already have the lesabre so that ok. I just want a nicely equipped regal LS. Power seats, driver info center, auto AC, and leather.

caddybuick

Buick Ownership
The LSE would be your ticket.
How would I know though if it is an LSE? Whenever I see cars on craigslist or auto trader what ever, it only says LS or GS not LSE.

damcqueen

fort worth tx
Buick Ownership
Buick Regal GS 1999
It is badged like the others. On the right side of the tail light lense where they all say either GS, or LS. They aren't as common. Even less common are the GSE. The LSE have all the options that a GS have except for the supercharger.

J P Kirksey

Buick Ownership
2003 Buick Regal (Century)
My granddaughter has a 2003 Century Regal with Joseph Abboud trim. The center console is also the shift bezel and houses a collapsible cup holder. The cup holder has broken & I have concluded that the entire trim ring/bezel probably needs to be replaced. I have found a couple of trim ring/bezels. The new one from GM is quite expensive ($252 + shipping) and does not appear to include the cup holder). I also found a used ring/bezel that does have the cup holder but is not the right color. Any thoughts about where I might go/who I should contact for a used/pull out unit that is tan/taupe color?
Thanks, JPK

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
What ever color you get they have interior spray paint made for plastic, GM specific as you need to get the color code, online or check with a local body shop supply store.

Ebay or online used parts services, looking for a exact match may be limited if it wasn't a high production number, but the console may have been available on other models.