• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Thoughts on SCCA with TourX and is there a manual transmission available?

Artyldr01

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
I was just curious, since it is a European car, I think even sold under different badging in Europe, is there a manual transmission available for the Tour X?

Also, I have dreams of getting an old Sunbeam Alpine to restore and race like my dad did in the 60s with the SCCA. Until then, My tour X, handles really well and has pretty doggone good performance for a wagon. Has anyone entered any SCCA competitions with theirs? Any thoughts?

Thanks!

D2R

Michigan
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal TourX Essence
A manual transmission is available for the Insignia Sports Tourer in Germany.
There are 2 options of 6 speed manual. 1 for FWD, and the other for AWD.
But neither of them are matched with our 2.0 L turbo. Their FWD is 1.5 L turbo (petrol), meanwhile the AWD is a turbo diesel only with either 1.6 or 2.0 L.
Hope you can understand German.

Idano

Buick Ownership
Preferred Red Needle TourX
I was just curious, since it is a European car, I think even sold under different badging in Europe, is there a manual transmission available for the Tour X?

Also, I have dreams of getting an old Sunbeam Alpine to restore and race like my dad did in the 60s with the SCCA. Until then, My tour X, handles really well and has pretty doggone good performance for a wagon. Has anyone entered any SCCA competitions with theirs? Any thoughts?

Thanks!
It would probably be less expensive and easier to restore a Sunbeam Alpine than installing a manual transmission in a TourX.
It might be less expensive to just go out and buy an already restored Sunbeam Alpine.

Artyldr01

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
A manual transmission is available for the Insignia Sports Tourer in Germany.
There are 2 options of 6 speed manual. 1 for FWD, and the other for AWD.
But neither of them are matched with our 2.0 L turbo. Their FWD is 1.5 L turbo (petrol), meanwhile the AWD is a turbo diesel only with either 1.6 or 2.0 L.
Hope you can understand German.
[/URL]
Thank you for the details!

Artyldr01

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
It would probably be less expensive and easier to restore a Sunbeam Alpine than installing a manual transmission in a TourX.
It might be less expensive to just go out and buy an already restored Sunbeam Alpine.
I'd venture to say you are correct, though, Sunbeams are not cheap anymore! At least it MAY be within my mechanical capabilities!

Artyldr01

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
There was a post back in May where someone took theirs to an autocross and it was a big disappointment.
I think the issue would be, and I am FAR from an expert, the 8 speed transmission is just not geared well for "fun." Just around town driving it tries to go all the way to 8th when it really should be in 5th, maybe 6th. Sport mode or whatever it is called isn't bad but still clearly not intended for competition.

HotZ28

Buick Ownership
1996 Roadmaster Limited Collectors Edition 58k - 1996 PAU
None of them could stay anywhere near my '87 IROC Camaro, which was also a first prize winner in the 3-rd Gen car show!!! Still own it with even more modifications!

Last edited:
Pedal Commander