Thoughts on XM radio

What's your opinion on XM Radio - you can choose multiple answers

• I keep my subscription active

Votes: 10 37.0%
  • I let mine expire

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • I'd keep it if the cost was substantially lower

Votes: 12 44.4%
  • I'd like traffic/weather but I don't want to pay more that $2 per month for it.

Votes: 3 11.1%

• Total voters

rodeman

Phoenix
Buick Ownership
Buick LaCrosse
I posted asking for people's opinions on OnStar and thought that this should be a separate post. Both my Acadia and LaCrosse have XM radio in them. My wife really enjoys the XM in the Acadia and at first she didn't think she would want to keep it, especially for a monthly charge.

We added it to my fathers XM in his Cadillac and he was able to have it activated at no cost and for approximately 8 months for $25. It was a steal for the service and we couldn't pass on it.

My LaCrosse expired after 3 months, I can't believe they don't give you more than three months of service, and I did not renew it. I want to say I received a letter from XM saying I could reactivate my radio for 50% off the monthly price. So instead of $12.95 per month for XM everything, it was going to be roughly $6.50 per month. I didn't take the bait and was able to activate it on my fathers account as well for the super low price that we received on the Acadia.

What I miss is the traffic. That was the best part. I called to get a price on that and they wanted $7 per month since I had an active radio. I told him that costs more than my radio service costs and he said that it was half off because my radio was active. I can't believe anyone would pay $14 per month to have traffic sent to them.

Back to my same comment here, I'd pay for traffic if it was a nominal fee. The weather was nice too but really never used. But if it was $2 per month for traffic, I'd jump on it. But they won't budge on the fee.

You know they don't have a hard cost they have to stick with. Every time I call, I get a different price quote depending on who I talk to. It's never the same. I wish these guys would see the benefit of offering an alacart type of item to let me pick and choose. It's funny, but xm everything doesn't include everything, i.e. traffic and weather. Someone should check their naming conventions.

What about you? Did you keep XM after the contract ended? Did you let it expire? Do you subscribe to traffic/weather? What would you want this service to be?

John

MikeERideWNC

Murphy, NC
Buick Ownership
2010 LaCrosse
I will say this: I have had XM for over five years now. The one thing I have found with dealing with XM customer no service is that every one of them is trained to be a crook.
It totally pisses me off how they are always egar to screw the customer.
When I wanted to change my TL subscription to my LaCrosse, I had 7 months left.
The first jerk said I had to cancel the subscription at a huge money loss and open a new subscription at regular price.
I argued with him about it, and like always, when they know they are wrong, they hang up on you.

I am thinkg in June when my XM expires and my cell phone expires, I will get a Droid and just stream Pandora to my car.

XM radio's content and quality is not that good.
CNN - Commercails Now Network and FOX are pretty much all commerials.
Most of the music stations throw in commercials.
The talk radio choices are pretty laim.
Lithium which is 90's alternative rock, plays a lot of B side crap.
Some days it just pisses me off when I sit in my car for hours and there is nothing worth listening to.

It would be nice to have another option.
Where I live there are only two radio stations and most of the time I am on the wrong side of the mountain to receive the signal.

92sub

Motor City
Buick Ownership
87GN (gone), 2011 CXS (gone), 98 Regal GS
We purchased the 2, 3 (or 4?) year plan that offered the best overall price.
I like XM and it's what I mostly listen to.
The wife (her daily driver) listens to audio books so it wouldn't have been a big loss for her to drop XM.
We payed for a luxury (or near-luxury) vehicle and it's going to do everything it's capable of for at least the first few years.

buckeye09

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
My wife has a Ford Edge that has Sirius. I am able to call every 5 months, say I want to cancel, and get 5 months for $20. That is about exactly what I think it is worth. If they told me 5 months for $30 I would probably just cancel it. I have read you can get the same deal for XM.

With all of the other options available (FM, CD, hard drive, stream Pandora from phone) I think XM's value is very limited.

Mad*Max

Toronto
Buick Ownership
2010 LaCrosse CXS, 2019 Corvette Stingray, 2018 Cadillac ATS AWD
I would not pay for this service, however, the 80s channel came in handy while driving through the US last year.

taverg03

Buick Ownership
Buick
I let mine expire but would consider a "re-upping" if the price was right. Their people are a pain to deal with and you keep getting different info from them on plans. I like the choice of stations but music quality is only fair. My area has a good selection of AM/FM stations I like plus I've got a lot of my own music on the HDD and USB memory.

If they included traffic, I would pay up to $6-7/mo. They did offer me a 12 month/$77/no reactivation fee offer but it was in the winter when my travel is less. One person said it would include traffic, another said no. If they do something like that in the Spring, I might do it.

waynef

Buick Newbie
Alexandria VA
Buick Ownership
LaCrosse
I only want traffic and weather but XM won't offer any deals on that without buying the whole box. Not worth it for me. I would think Onstar and the Nav would get a special deal from XM included with your Onstar subcription.

vid53

Buick Ownership
Buick
I have heard people getting a phone call from XM and being offered $4.95 a month after saying no thank you. I only listen to 1 channel and that's the 60s station.

jft69z

Western NY
Buick Ownership
'11 CXL-gone, '11 CTS-V Coupe (6M), '13 ZR1 Vette, '69 RS/Z-28 454 cu.in;'18 BMW M550
Awhile back they called to get me to re-up on one of the cars. It just so happened that a friend had just got the 5 months for $20 deal from them. When I asked about it they said "sure, no problem". I ended up doing it for a couple of the cars that were almost expired as well. I told him to give me $80 worth per car for 20 months each but he wasn't falling for that...It was worth a try, right?

Another deal I had a few years ago was the $77 for a year on my truck. They called again near the expiration date and tried to offer a full price subscription. I saw the $77 deal from a google search on 'XM deals' and found all kinds of info. Apparently if you use a few key works like 'I'm going to cancel' or 'It's too expensive' they will deal with you according to some of the info on the sites from the google search. In my case it was real easy, all I did was ask and the salesperson made it happen.

I kept asking him if they automatically switch you over after the 5 month deal to some full price plan and he said no. I had to ask him a bunch of times and he seemed to not want to answer it directly, so I guess I'll see in a few months if they try to pull a scam.

shoman90

Buick Ownership
Buick
Awhile back they called to get me to re-up on one of the cars. It just so happened that a friend had just got the 5 months for $20 deal from them. When I asked about it they said "sure, no problem". I ended up doing it for a couple of the cars that were almost expired as well. I told him to give me $80 worth per car for 20 months each but he wasn't falling for that...It was worth a try, right?

Another deal I had a few years ago was the $77 for a year on my truck. They called again near the expiration date and tried to offer a full price subscription. I saw the $77 deal from a google search on 'XM deals' and found all kinds of info. Apparently if you use a few key works like 'I'm going to cancel' or 'It's too expensive' they will deal with you according to some of the info on the sites from the google search. In my case it was real easy, all I did was ask and the salesperson made it happen.

I kept asking him if they automatically switch you over after the 5 month deal to some full price plan and he said no. I had to ask him a bunch of times and he seemed to not want to answer it directly, so I guess I'll see in a few months if they try to pull a scam.

I have done the $77 per year thing several times with both XM and Sirius. Just did it last year as a matter of fact. You just have to be a little persistent about cancelling if you don't get it. Don't let them bill your credit card as they will automatically bill you a few weeks early the following year for the full amount ....which if you call to complain and say you want the $77 deal after receiving your cc bill.....will leave you short a couple weeks of service. Been there. :(

Always ask them to send you a bill and then pay by check.

The 5 months for $20 bucks has been offered to me several times after cancelling Sirius (sold the car). We're all XM now. For $80, it's worth it to me. 60s,70s,80s,90s,12,40,46,74...Bloomberg, Headline news, NPR...a few more in there while traveling...

jft69z

Western NY
Buick Ownership
'11 CXL-gone, '11 CTS-V Coupe (6M), '13 ZR1 Vette, '69 RS/Z-28 454 cu.in;'18 BMW M550
I have done the $77 per year thing several times with both XM and Sirius. Just did it last year as a matter of fact. You just have to be a little persistent about cancelling if you don't get it. Don't let them bill your credit card as they will automatically bill you a few weeks early the following year for the full amount ....which if you call to complain and say you want the $77 deal after receiving your cc bill.....will leave you short a couple weeks of service. Been there. :(

Always ask them to send you a bill and then pay by check.

I gave them the credit card knowing they're probably going to try the scam like you mentioned. I did ask for them to send the statement or copy of the bill but naturally never got it. I do keep a pretty good eye on the credit card statements every month, but the 5 month mark should be coming soon so if they try to pull a fast one hopefully I'll catch it. Next time I think I'll try your advice and ask for a bill and then pay by check.

One sort of odd thing I noticed the other day was when I logged on to the XM site for my account it only lists one radio instead of the three. Whatever the case, right now all 3 are working so we'll see in a couple of months.

Banto

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence - Dark Moon Blue, 2018 Regal TourX Essence - Rioja Red, 2009 Enclave CXL
Hate commericials and like traffic. I'll be keeping XM.

Godzson

Aurora, IL
Buick Ownership
Buick
I loved XM during the trial, but have not renewed my subscription. I'm beefing with XM right now because when my subscription ended, they called me to let me renew and offered me a pretty good deal. I ended up giving them my CC number over the phone. Bad move. Said they would send me confirmation through email. Never received it. Not only that, the subscription actually did NOT get renewed. So i called them from my car furious of course. I asked the rep why the sub was not renewed after i gave my cc number over the phone. He claimed there was no record of me renewing. I was really mad at this point. I asked what the hell happened to my CC number then? Then he gave me some bogus lie about the computers had gone down thats why he didnt have the information. I argued more with him because someone from their company had my cc number. Then he claimed that all of the sudden he did have my info in the system and that he would renew my subscription for me. Of course that was another lie to get me off the phone.

BEWARE of XM, their customer service is very shady. I really enjoyed having XM, but i cant bring myself to subscribe again knowing how badly they handled my information and their bold face lies.

bobcat

west terre haute,ind.
Buick Ownership
2010 lacrosse cxs on order
never i repeat never give them your cc, i had to cancel my cc and get a new cc because they charged my card for $300.00 one time and $38.00 another time,when i called customer service they told me that my account was zero balance but they still had my cc charged for $338.00, turned it over to the cc company, needless to say i now have a new cc.

Godzson

Aurora, IL
Buick Ownership
Buick
never i repeat never give them your cc, i had to cancel my cc and get a new cc because they charged my card for $300.00 one time and $38.00 another time,when i called customer service they told me that my account was zero balance but they still had my cc charged for $338.00, turned it over to the cc company, needless to say i now have a new cc.
I checked my bank records and luckily nothing was charged, but still knowing whoever i gave my cc to, i have no idea what he did with it. Lesson definitely learned. its almost like you cant give it online and you cant even give it over the phone these days

bobcat

west terre haute,ind.
Buick Ownership
2010 lacrosse cxs on order
i have been trying to get a billing stament mailed so i can pay by check, so far i have talked to three non english speaking people ,no statement yet this has been going on since the first of march, no statement yet, the 28th. of march is when it exspires.

beez

Buick Ownership
Buick
I just started my three month free trial. I know already that I want to continue the service, but I also want to avoid giving them my cc number. Has anyone else been successful in getting them to mail statements as opposed to automatic billing? Is it even an option?

Thehatguy

Dallas, TX
Buick Ownership
2011 Buick LaCrosse CXS
Between Sirius and XM, still have both services, they've had my CC for 7 years without any issues.

I haven't used snail mail in years.

John

shoman90

Buick Ownership
Buick
Between Sirius and XM, still have both services, they've had my CC for 7 years without any issues.

I haven't used snail mail in years.

John

Ya but ...are you paying $77 per year or less?

I first noticed the cc billing thing with Sirius. We too had both for a while. Here's part of a little Word doc I wrote pertaining to the way the billing thing went. I say pertaining to this thread below, but actually I posted this on the Honda Ridgeline forum over a year ago....where I first became aware of the $77 dollar deal. Perhaps, I interpreted this wrong, but it's how I deciphered it.

OK....here's a little follow up for any Sirius users:

I paid $126 last year for our Sirius contract.... good to 2/5/10

Thinking I was being pro active given this thread, I just called them and brought up my account on line. They had already whacked my card for $151.56 on 1/21/10. $25 more than last year and no notice! #$%^&*()

I vented 'politely' for a bit about the early charge and then told them I had just renewed a XM contract for $77 and would like the same. She told me the same thing as the XM people.....only good for one year....yadda ,yadda.

I said that's fine ... let's do it. She said: "OK sir, your credit will be $61.41 applied to your account for next year. I said ..."No, credit my cc and do not use it anymore. .... Invoice me next time" She said they would comply

BUT........here's the kicker, which I decided to let sleeping dogs lie after again venting 'politely.' Why did I only get a $61.41 credit instead of $77?

Here's the rotten answer. Even though our plan year went to 2/5/10...because they whacked the card on 1/21/10....a new plan year was initiated 15 days early....meaning I only got a 11.5 month cycle for the 'yearly' plan we bought on 2/5/09. This means that anyone who continues to use a cc for a yearly plan is really only getting 11.5 months or less. She told me the computer pro rates my credit back based upon using my new contract year beginning 1/21/10.....even then, the math doesn't work. I guess it's kind of a wash with $11.78 royalty/fee business they charge you on the $77.

Bottom line was $90 for the year. I'm good with that.

Oneill5491

Buick Ownership
2012 Regal GS, 2010 LaCrosse CXS, 99 Regal GS
Currently I'm on my 3 month trial. I would like to renew, but I don't want to pay full price. I obviously don't have the leverage of saying "I'm going to cancel" or "It's too expensive" since I'm on a trial. Should I expect to receive an offer like Godzson did after the trial? Otherwise, is there a way to lure them into giving me a deal? I will also want traffic and weather too.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!