Thump noise

BK3

A Regular
Buick Ownership
2002 Century
2000 Buick LeSabre, 160,000 miles
When I let off the brake after coming to a full stop, I here a thumping sound. Just when I let off, not when applying.
At first, I thought it was a lower control arm, but after taking a close look, it appears as if it has been replaced before (Pin was missing from the castle nut and the keepers were not bent into place) I had replaced the wheel hub earlier, because whoever worked on this before managed to cross-thread 2 wheel studs.
While I had it apart I noticed excessive play in the outside CV joint. Could this be the cause of the thump?
I forgot to mention, this is on the passenger side.

BuickGirlFromMars

Buick Ownership
1999 Buick Park Avenue Ultra (Supercharged)
Yes. You are going from holding the axle shafts against their normal range and when you release the clunk could be them, with play, going back to being "unloaded" from your brakes if that makes sense. but also, look at your caliper bracket bolts. and strut towers.

Frampton

Buick Ownership
2003 buick lesabre custom
2000 Buick LeSabre, 160,000 miles
When I let off the brake after coming to a full stop, I here a thumping sound. Just when I let off, not when applying.
At first, I thought it was a lower control arm, but after taking a close look, it appears as if it has been replaced before (Pin was missing from the castle nut and the keepers were not bent into place) I had replaced the wheel hub earlier, because whoever worked on this before managed to cross-thread 2 wheel studs.
While I had it apart I noticed excessive play in the outside CV joint. Could this be the cause of the thump?
I forgot to mention, this is on the passenger side.
That could definitely do it. Could also be struts or the strut bearing(bushing), or stabilizer bar bushings. Also check ur link pins. Don't just look at them because all of these thinks can appear good but not always the case.

imidazol97

Top Dog
Can you have someone drive the car and apply the brakes with you standing next to it where it comes to a stop and then the driver releases the pedal pressure? Maybe you can isolate better which part of the suspension the noise is from?

Perhaps with the hood up a foot or so to enable hearing if noise is from the top of the strut?

Brake caliper moving in its bushings would be a possibility.

HotZ28

Buick Ownership
1996 Roadmaster Limited Collectors Edition 58k - 1996 PAU
Also, be sure to check the motor mounts and especially the front trans mount to be sure they are not broken/damaged.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!