Ticking noise from Ecotec?

ConsideringEncore

Buick Ownership
Encore
I’m considering buying a traded in 2015 from a dealer. I’m hearing some knocking (ticking) with the hood up. Is this a concern or is it common engine noise for a 4 cylinder? I’ve only had V8’s & V6’s up til now.
Any replies would be appreciated.

MelsRegal

Buick Ownership
Regal GS 2017
Need more information. How many miles on the engine and is the noise coming from the front of the engine, timing chain area? I assume the check engine light is NOT on.

Zeroboostbuick

S.W. Ontario Canada
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback - 2010 Yamaha R6 (track bike) Past cars: 92 LeSabre, 98 Regal, 02 GrandPrixGT
If it ticks when the engine is fully warm then it's a problem.

The ecotec engines do have a very slight tick when engine is cold. But should be almost non-existent with the hood down.

Sometimes a high quality oil will help remedy this tick.

I also recently learned the Encore can have 2 different oil filter housings requiring different filters, which is commonly overlooked. But weather this has any affect on the ticking noise I'm not sure.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
On another forums it's called the eco-tick, but it is the sound of the engine from the injectors and/or timing chain which may sound different then a V6 or V8, but it's normal to some level. My other in-line 4's always sounded different when listening in the engine bay, but then again my olds 350 sounded different than my chevy 305.

Attached is a service bulletin that talks about some other sounds and a tick.

Attachments