Tips and tricks

texan

Buick Ownership
Buick
Hi all, I've been a happy Buick Encore owner for six months, and I wanted to share a few tips that I have learned that you might not know:

1. At first, I was bummed out that the visors did not have those little extensions that allow the visor to cover the entire length of the side window. Then I realized that if you tug on the visor, the whole visor slides out and can in fact cover the entire side window!
  2. The prompts in the voice recognition system can be turned off by pressing the voice command button and saying "verbose off."
  3. The 2014 and later Encores come with five years of OnStar RemoteLink which lets you lock/unlock/start the car from your phone. My dealer never mentioned this, and I don't think it's even mentioned in the manual!
I would appreciate any other tips that you may have!

Sunnyvale Dave

Sunnyvale, CA
Buick Ownership
Buick Encore
Since I have only had my Encore for a month, I can't offer any tips and tricks, but I appreciate this thread. I didn't know any of the tips in the original post.

lhale

Buick Ownership
2014 Buick Encore FWD
Tip 1. Read the owner's manual
Tip 2. See tip 1 ;)

(I say this because the manual really does kinda cover almost everything.)

CPatrice

Boston, MA
Buick Ownership
2014 Buick Encore Premium named "Java Joe"
Hi all, I've been a happy Buick Encore owner for six months, and I wanted to share a few tips that I have learned that you might not know:

1. The prompts in the voice recognition system can be turned off by pressing the voice command button and saying "verbose off."
  2. The 2014 and later Encores come with five years of OnStar RemoteLink which lets you lock/unlock/start the car from your phone. My dealer never mentioned this, and I don't think it's even mentioned in the manual!

I think this is a great topic! I've had my Encore for 6 months tooand I'm pulling out at the manual a couple times of week because, compared to my 10 year old Mazda, this car is really complicated!

RE: #2 voice recognition system. What do you mean exactly by "voice prompt?" Do you mean you can make it that that she says absolutely nothing? If so, how do you know when to say and what to say? I LOVE the idea of shutting up that smug wench. I hate that voice telling me, "Please wait until the beep to speak." Let me know how I can silence her, since me yelling repeatedly,"shut up!" is definitely not working.

#3. Onstar Remotestart. I thought this was only as good as the free trial. Mine expired last week. After I read your post, I went out and tried the Remote Start on my phone, and it still works! Good to know. I am horribly disappointed in the Remote Start button on the key fob. Remote means like 3 feet. i'm hoping the Onstar actually has a radius.

Tip 1. Read the owner's manual
Tip 2. See tip 1 ;)

(I say this because the manual really does kinda cover almost everything.)

I disagree strongly. And glad no one was as flip in their response when I was a brand new member here, or I probably wouldn't have come back.

The Infotainment manual is worthless, and I'll give you a very big example. Getting iPhone on board with Bluetooth so I have access to my podcasts, etc, and send/receive texts is really important. But I found nothing about this in the manual (although I saw "Siri Eyes Free" talked about on the Buick website.) I found out by accident that push the talk button quickly you get the car; hold it down you get Siri. Very useful information to have.

So yes, I think it's a great thread, so thanks. :)

lhale

Buick Ownership
2014 Buick Encore FWD
I disagree strongly. And glad no one was as flip in their response when I was a brand new member here, or I probably wouldn't have come back.

The Infotainment manual is worthless, and I'll give you a very big example. Getting iPhone on board with Bluetooth so I have access to my podcasts, etc, and send/receive texts is really important. But I found nothing about this in the manual (although I saw "Siri Eyes Free" talked about on the Buick website.) I found out by accident that push the talk button quickly you get the car; hold it down you get Siri. Very useful information to have.

So yes, I think it's a great thread, so thanks. :)

I was only being playfully sarcastic, not trying to be rude or smug. I apologize for coming across that way. I guess I should have just skipped the (failed) sarcasm (as this is the internet and tone doesn't really come across at all). I really was just meaning to say I highly recommend actually reading the manual, as it does have a lot of information in there that I wouldn't have figured out otherwise, such as the thing about the sliding visors. I just know a lot of people don't every look through the manual, and I'm glad I did.

Oh, and I do agree with you that the manual is missing some things, but I wouldn't say it's worthless.

Foursoors

Buick Ownership
2014 Buick Encore Convenience
The manual (like all manuals) is wwaaay too long to wade through, and when you do look things up it can be hard to find what you want. I could not find out how to restore iPhone pairings so I went back to my dealer and he showed me how. Not anything like the manual which kept asking for some number I don't have. I may have to do that again. I'm lucky because my dealer is local but not everyone buys in town. So I'm all for tips and tricks! I certainly didn't know about the visor and am going to try it out.

texan

Buick Ownership
Buick
RE: #2 voice recognition system. What do you mean exactly by "voice prompt?" Do you mean you can make it that that she says absolutely nothing? If so, how do you know when to say and what to say? I LOVE the idea of shutting up that smug wench. I hate that voice telling me, "Please wait until the beep to speak." Let me know how I can silence her, since me yelling repeatedly,"shut up!" is definitely not working.

Yes, the prompts either go away or become a lot shorter. For example, the first prompt after you press the voice command button ("Please say a command") goes away completely, you just hear a beep and then speak. Another example, the prompt for the category of a navigation point of interest becomes simply "Category".

Foursoors

Buick Ownership
2014 Buick Encore Convenience
I'm so glad to find out about the visor! Bluetooth keeps losing my pairing with my iPhone. Any tips?

Looking to update and upgrade your Buick luxury automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

Sparkie

Chgo IL
Buick Ownership
Buick encore
Talk to a buick advisor, they can help,you resent the radio, I have done it twice, hopefully the second time will work, something about buick and the iPhone don't like each other, now if the radio drops the iPhone again it's time for me to bring the car into the dealer, they say maybe a new radio or a problem with OnStar equipment.

CPatrice

Boston, MA
Buick Ownership
I was only being playfully sarcastic, not trying to be rude or smug. I apologize for coming across that way. I guess I should have just skipped the (failed) sarcasm (as this is the internet and tone doesn't really come across at all). I really was just meaning to say I highly recommend actually reading the manual, as it does have a lot of information in there that I wouldn't have figured out otherwise, such as the thing about the sliding visors. I just know a lot of people don't every look through the manual, and I'm glad I did.

Oh, and I do agree with you that the manual is missing some things, but I wouldn't say it's worthless.

You have to admit, though, the Infotainment manual is a joke. An utter joke. It covers 20% of what you need to know in a very complex, badly designed system.

Even with reading the big manual, I tend to forget small things, and this car can be so customized, there are a lot of small things. Coming from a 10 year old Mazda 3, I feel sometimes like I"m in a plane's cockpit. So yea, tip away, it's gonna take me awhile to absorb everything.

CPatrice

Boston, MA
Buick Ownership
Yes, the prompts either go away or become a lot shorter. For example, the first prompt after you press the voice command button ("Please say a command") goes away completely, you just hear a beep and then speak. Another example, the prompt for the category of a navigation point of interest becomes simply "Category".

I've got to check this out tomorrow. That is one of my beefs with the Voice Nav system is the complete lack of economy of speech. My encore Nav (I call her Josephine) would be terrible at Twitter.

Scott Sasse

Buick Ownership
Encore

1. At first, I was bummed out that the visors did not have those little extensions that allow the visor to cover the entire length of the side window. Then I realized that if you tug on the visor, the whole visor slides out and can in fact cover the entire side window!
  2. The prompts in the voice recognition system can be turned off by pressing the voice command button and saying "verbose off."
  3. The 2014 and later Encores come with five years of OnStar RemoteLink which lets you lock/unlock/start the car from your phone. My dealer never mentioned this, and I don't think it's even mentioned in the manual!

Brett Slater

Buick Ownership
2013 Enclave, 1970 GS Stage 1
Great thread.

Question regarding the radio and Bluetooth with an android: if I don't turn enable Bluetooth on my phone within literally 1 minute after starting the vehicle, it won't connect.

Also, if it is enabled and I disable it (on the phone), it won't reconnect until the car is shut off and started again.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Buick Ownership
2014 Encore Leather
I just bought my 2014 Encore with 45000 miles last month and have the 3 months onstar/XM/my buick free.