• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Tire repair questionh

lakey

Buick Ownership
Buick
Forgive me, please, for asking a non-Buick question. I sold my 08 Lucerne in May. Still running strong at 150k but still rattling from the front end.

My question is about a tire repair on my wife's Miata. About 2ooo miles back she picked up a small nail in the sidewall, about 1/2" from the road tread. I fixed it with a plug when Slime did not hold. It has held pressure since the plug was installed.

When I had her tires rotated, the technician said it was unsafe. Do experienced people agree? I do not want to have her is a truly unsafe vehicle.

Thanks.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
No sidewall repair is safe and shouldn't be done, short answer is that the sidewall flexibility and shallow construction doesn't permit a good fixable solution so the tire tech was correct in the observation and it should be replaced.

polarzak

Buick Ownership
Ex-Lucerne Owner, Now loving two Chrysler 300s.
As stated above, sidewall repair is generally unsafe. However, if you want to pay big bucks and find a tire shop (usually a truck tire place) willing to do it, they usually can repair the tire by vulcanizing. It is still not considered
an appropriate way to repair a sidewall puncture, but it is done in the long haul industry. Of course, they drive on re-tread tires also. . Best advice, buy a replacement tire and be safe.

HotZ28

Buick Ownership
1996 Roadmaster Limited Collectors Edition 58k - 1996 PAU
As stated above, sidewall repair is generally unsafe. However, if you want to pay big bucks and find a tire shop (usually a truck tire place) willing to do it, they usually can repair the tire by vulcanizing. It is still not considered
an appropriate way to repair a sidewall puncture, but it is done in the long haul industry. Of course, they drive on re-tread tires also. . Best advice, buy a replacement tire and be safe.
Welcome back "Ex Lucerene Owner"! Are the Chrysler cars you own less maintenance and going longer miles than the Buick's you had much praised in the past, as the best car you every owned?

lakey

Buick Ownership
Buick
Thanks for responses, I will replace tire. Regarding Chrysler's, there must be some confusion. I have not owned one of those in many years.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
Polorzak has forgotten more about vehicles then the rest of us will ever know, so I guess that he forgot he doesn't own a Lucerne anymore LOL.

polarzak

Buick Ownership
Welcome back "Ex Lucerene Owner"! Are the Chrysler cars you own less maintenance and going longer miles than the Buick's you had much praised in the past, as the best car you every owned?
I would have been glad to have bought another Lucerne in 2013, as it was the best (maybe fully loaded) I ever owned, but they did not make them. The 2013 Chrysler 300 purchased in place of the Lucerne had ZERO maintenance issues. Bought it new, back to the dealer once for a recall, and other than oil changes and new brake pads, tires, did absolutely nothing with it. With just under 100,000 care free miles on it, bought a new one in 17 and gave the 13 to my wife. Recently, traded the 13, (116,000 care free miles) for a 2019, and gave the 17 to my wife. So, we have two Chrysler 300s in the driveway. The 17 has never been back to the dealer. The poor reputation Chrysler has with some people (including myself years ago) is definitely unfounded, especially with the 300. Yes, the 200 is junk and no longer produced. As for going longer mileage than the Buick's, I will never know as I don't plan to keep the cars long enough. Already itching to get a 20 when they are out this fall.

polarzak

Buick Ownership
Polorzak has forgotten more about vehicles then the rest of us will ever know, so I guess that he forgot he doesn't own a Lucerne anymore LOL.
The question was about a tire, not about a Lucerne. In casy you haven't noticed, all car have tires. Also, please quote me accurately. I said I had forgotten more about auto mechanics, then YOU will ever know. Any idiot can do a google search to answer someones question, post it, and try to look like they know something and to feel important, because they are nothing in real life. . You, sir (and I use that term very loosely) are that lonely person.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
Sorry to disappoint but I was a tire buster in high school and have actual hands on experience in tire service and repair, Google hadn't been invented yet, only a fool would even suggest a side wall repair. We declined to even think of doing it as it's a safety concern along with common sense even if it was a split ring and tubed because of the liability issues.