• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Tire replacement time -- leaning toward summer tires (Southwest US)

stoopid

Las Vegas, NV
Buick Ownership
2017 LaCrosse 1SL
I recently moved to Vegas and 99% of my driving is when temps are at or (well) above 40F. I'm thinking I can get away with summer tires all year. Being from the Northeast where all season tires are the bare minimum, I have no experience with summer/sport tires. Any input would be appreciated. I'm hoping to get a touch more traction on pavement. Tread life is always a concern but moving to a softer tire isn't going to help longevity, so I'll probably be mindful of the price per tire knowing they won't last much past 30,000 miles.

Looking at tirerack just to get my bearings, there's a lot of all season options. When I sort by performance models, I see the usual Michelin Pilot Sport, Pirelli P-zeros, and Continental Extremecontact DWS6. Seems like a coin toss for the most part.

[hopefully this link works, otherwise I have the 18" OE rims which are 235/50 R18 speed rating H or higher]

MelsRegal

Buick Ownership
Regal GS 2017
You clicked on the category filter and then clicked on the performance filter and selected only the Summer tires? Looks to be about 15 choices.

Rich B.

Minot, ME
Buick Ownership
2016 LaCrosse & 2013 Boss 302 Mustang
I’d stay away from summer tires as have them on other car. Compounds are softer for traction and at 40 degrees even it’s identical to driving on black ice. But since I don’t use that car through winter, not an issue.

If your trying for the 11 second 1/4 mile, by all means and make sure your bill fold is stocked🤔

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
Considering it's a daily driver you want to also look at the wet hydroplane properties. Some of the folks I know have summer only drivers and have performance tires, but the tread design that makes them handle well on those perfect drive days absolutely suck once it starts raining heavily.

stoopid

Las Vegas, NV
Buick Ownership
2017 LaCrosse 1SL
Thanks guys, that's the kind of input I was hoping for. There's a few 'performance' all season options, I'll focus on those rather than true sport tires.

XtraPerformance

Buick Ownership
2016 Regal GS
I highly recommend Firestone Indy 500's. They are a summer only tire but are great in the rain and provide better braking and handling than the all season tires that came with my Regal. It's my second spring/summer with them on and I continue to be impressed with them.

However, even a high performance all season tire will provide more performance than the grand touring all seasons that came on your car.

stoopid

Las Vegas, NV
Buick Ownership
2017 LaCrosse 1SL
I highly recommend Firestone Indy 500's. They are a summer only tire but are great in the rain and provide better braking and handling than the all season tires that came with my Regal. It's my second spring/summer with them on and I continue to be impressed with them.
I saw a review at some point comparing all season to sport in wet braking, and the sport tires (not slicks) were as good or even a bit better. It really came down to tread design as LucernCXL said. Do you live someplace you need to swap them before winter? I'd be concerned about them being too hard like Rich mentioned, using them year-round.

Yeah thinking high performance all seasons will end up being the way to go, the best compromise for my needs.

Rich B.

Minot, ME
Buick Ownership
Forgot completely too about directional tires. They have a superior grip also but can only be rotated on same side of car. Seem to be a more aggressive, water dispersing V tread design. Not sure if those can be used in colder weather. When I had my C4 Corvette it had those. Didn’t matter as either way completely useless in snow, too wide. Didn’t drive that one in winters either🤬 What are Directional Tires? - Les Schwab

XtraPerformance

Buick Ownership
2016 Regal GS
I saw a review at some point comparing all season to sport in wet braking, and the sport tires (not slicks) were as good or even a bit better. It really came down to tread design as LucernCXL said. Do you live someplace you need to swap them before winter? I'd be concerned about them being too hard like Rich mentioned, using them year-round.

Yeah thinking high performance all seasons will end up being the way to go, the best compromise for my needs.
I live in Wisconsin so I do swap them out in the fall/spring. I've driven them on a few 40 degree mornings since getting them put on and didn't have any issues.

Bhodi's Buick

Lake Michigan's South Shore
Buick Ownership
'13 LaCrosse 303 HP V6
Based on your locale....

Go all out Big Bad Aggressive High Performance Summer all the way !

If on the 2 or 3 days in the year you may feel the need wet traction, then settle and get a " Hybrid " All Season / Performance Tire...

mikeam

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Last edited:

Steveyo

Buick Ownership
2019 Buick Encore
I've lived in the Califonia desert for 40 years with a climate similar to Las Vegas, and I've always used all-season tires on my cars. I've seen no downside to using them and have been pleased with their performance all those years. Just my opinion, FWIW.

stoopid

Las Vegas, NV
Buick Ownership
2017 LaCrosse 1SL
Based on your locale....

Go all out Big Bad Aggressive High Performance Summer all the way !

If on the 2 or 3 days in the year you may feel the need wet traction, then settle and get a " Hybrid " All Season / Performance Tire...
It's not the wet, it's the cold. Temps can be 30F on the morning commute during the winter months. Mostly 40F+ but as I learned this past winter, that's an average not a guarantee. We had 4" of snow in my backyard this year. ;-) Performance in cold weather is a tire compound issue.

Only the extreme performance models have wet handling issues, most sport tires with sufficient channeling are fine (sometimes even better) in the rain. Performance on wet pavement is a tire tread design issue.

Rich B.

Minot, ME
Buick Ownership
LMAO😖 I’m more confused than ever now. But my Buick anyways is for touring with flawless integrity with the roadway (in ME yeah, for sure). Mostly 6 and 4 cylinders out there and as mine maybe 305NHP? Probably shouldn’t try and turn the car into something it’s not and never could be.

Please nobody say they put glasspack mufflers on and it sounds great😧 Even the GNX’s would move along but to hear one coming down the rode, hope not. To each their own and good topic anyways.

Mad*Max

Toronto
Buick Ownership
2010 LaCrosse CXS, 2019 Corvette Stingray, 2018 Cadillac ATS AWD
I have used Summer Tires for many years on my Corvette - the Bridgestones were really good in the rain and like all Summers turned into hockey pucks when the temp is around 40F. I am running the Goodyear Eagle RSA all seasons and they are fantastic and would recommend just sticking to them.