• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Tire replacement time -- leaning toward summer tires (Southwest US)

Rich B.

Minot, ME
Buick Ownership
2016 LaCrosse & 2013 Boss 302 Mustang
Roger that on tire selections. Can tell you that Pirelli summers anyways seem to even compromise tread thickness. Not a lot even brand new and at 3K miles on other car even less🥺

Last edited:

stoopid

Las Vegas, NV
Buick Ownership
2017 LaCrosse 1SL
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ are All season but better than 99% of the summer tires. It's a smart buy in my opinion unless you can get a different decent tire for much less.
So after reading reviews between contenders on tirerack, pricing, and factoring local availability [in case of a blowout/sidewall impact] ended up going with the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+. I got them through Discount Tire for $184 each (same price as Tire Rack), $21 each install. Came to $897 after install, disposal of old ones, and tax.

I can only barely get wheel spin now on a hard launch, whereas I ALWAYS had to baby the stock Continentals to get going. Handling seems fine, maybe even a bit firmer. No discernible loss in ride quality though. I even did a high speed run this morning (after doing some mild break-in last night) and they seemed better at high speeds (no shutter), which makes sense as they're ZR rated.

No rain in the forecast so it will be a while until I get to see how they perform on wet or cold. Very pleased with the initial results. They come with a prorated 45,000 mile warranty, so I figure if I get 30,000-40,000 out of them I'll get my money's worth.

Last edited:

stoopid

Las Vegas, NV
Buick Ownership
2017 LaCrosse 1SL
What cold pressure psi are you running your new Pilot Sport A/S 3+ ?
They put them at 35 psi, about where I was running the Continentals.

I should probably check the pressures at the end of my commute tomorrow evening. But the Continentals never got above 38psi, even in the heat.

Rich B.

Minot, ME
Buick Ownership
2016 LaCrosse & 2013 Boss 302 Mustang
Think ours is @33PSI set when cold and other car 35PSI cold. Never realized pressures varied so much until TPMS. I also wonder still on over-inflation which could wear out tire centers. Maybe not so much with today’s technology.

stoopid

Las Vegas, NV
Buick Ownership
2017 LaCrosse 1SL
I also wonder still on over-inflation which could wear out tire centers. Maybe not so much with today’s technology.
It will always be something to be mindful of, but they have to be over-inflated (or under-inflated) by quite a bit to result in tire pressure alone causing uneven wear.

stoopid

Las Vegas, NV
Buick Ownership
2017 LaCrosse 1SL
At the 2 week mark with the tires and they're definitely what I was after. I didn't slide off the road in the little bit of rain I saw one day, and for all cornering and launch purposes these are vastly superior to the stock Continentals. Considering the ride quality and NVH are almost the same as the (usually more expensive) Continentals, I really don't ever see going with a lesser tires again. I guess I can be grateful I got almost 30,000 "free" miles on the OE tires. These Pilot Sport are going to spoil me though, I can't see having any car in the future riding on anything less.

[this is the final update barring any major issues or revelations]

buzzfan99

Buick Ownership
2005 Buick LaCrosse
T
So after reading reviews between contenders on tirerack, pricing, and factoring local availability [in case of a blowout/sidewall impact] ended up going with the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+. I got them through Discount Tire for $184 each (same price as Tire Rack), $21 each install. Came to $897 after install, disposal of old ones, and tax.

I can only barely get wheel spin now on a hard launch, whereas I ALWAYS had to baby the stock Continentals to get going. Handling seems fine, maybe even a bit firmer. No discernible loss in ride quality though. I even did a high speed run this morning (after doing some mild break-in last night) and they seemed better at high speeds (no shutter), which makes sense as they're ZR rated.

No rain in the forecast so it will be a while until I get to see how they perform on wet or cold. Very pleased with the initial results. They come with a prorated 45,000 mile warranty, so I figure if I get 30,000-40,000 out of them I'll get my money's worth.
Thank you for your Michelin purchase . In my 23+ years , with Michelin , we are always improving .

Zeroboostbuick

S.W. Ontario Canada
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback - 2010 Yamaha R6 (track bike) Past cars: 92 LeSabre, 98 Regal, 02 GrandPrixGT
Thanks for the update.

The price of these Pilot Sport A/S 3+ is VERY good in my opinion,.. considering what you'd have to spend to get something comparable.

Once every handful of years one of the tire manufacturers make a product that leaves the competition scratching their head. And I think these Michelins are one of those products.

stoopid

Las Vegas, NV
Buick Ownership
2017 LaCrosse 1SL
The price of these Pilot Sport A/S 3+ is VERY good in my opinion,.. considering what you'd have to spend to get something comparable.

Once every handful of years one of the tire manufacturers make a product that leaves the competition scratching their head. And I think these Michelins are one of those products.
I try to avoid definitive statements like "best", but they very well might be the best at the sub $200 price point. In fairness, I didn't try the other couple comparable tires so I can't be sure.

buzzfan99

Buick Ownership
2005 Buick LaCrosse
Nice choice https://www.amazon.com/Michelin-Pilot-Sport-All-Season-Radial/dp/B01ETRBGNY/ref=sr_1_1?hvadid=78408985739383&hvbmt=be&hvdev=t&hvqmt=e&keywords=pilot+sport+tire&qid=1561760951&s=automotive&sr=1-1 Can’t say on price but mounting and balance not too cheap these days. Those are only 17” too but good photo and description.
They look great . Michelin has won more J.D Power awards , than all other tire companies combined . Air less tires , coming soon . Already on some lawn tractors and bobcats .

Pedal Commander