Tire rotation and tire sensors

rodeman

Phoenix
Buick Ownership
Buick LaCrosse
I think this is going to apply to my LaCrosse as well as the GMC Acadia, the vehicle that brought this to my attention.

My Acadia is telling me the right front tire is low on pressure. I've checked and it's at 35 psi and I didn't see any nails. Took it to the dealer for a suspected failure of the tire pressure sensor along with 2 other items. They found a nail in the left front and it dawned on me, I've rotated the tires twice, right front to right rear, then right rear to left front. So the left front tire is the old right front and the sensor/computer still think it's on the right front location.

The dealer said you needed a tool to reprogram the computer after the rotation. My questions is, how do I do that and is that a tool that I can purchase or use from Auto Zone or something?

I rotate the tires on both vehicles, the Acadia and the LaCrosse, every 5,000 miles. But it never dawned on me that the tire sensor would need to be recalibrated with the computer after moving it.

Can anyone who rotates tires on their own tell me how to do this? The Acadia has a lower level computer system and my LaCrosse has a very high end system. So I may find the LaCrosse can be done one way but that way won't work for the Acadia. Either way, I've got the sensors out of place on the LaCrosse too.

Thanks,
John

92sub

Motor City
Buick Ownership
87GN (gone), 2011 CXS (gone), 98 Regal GS
The dealer has a tool (expensive) that allows them to do the learn quickly.
Your owners manual has a process that you can perform without tools, however it requires that you purge some air from each tire. So after the learn you'll need immediate access to an air compressor to refill them.

rodeman

Phoenix
Buick Ownership
Buick LaCrosse
Thanks 92 Sub. I've got a very large air compressor for air tools so that's not a problem, but I didn't notice, nor did I read the manual all the way through, for details on how to reprogram the tire sensors. Any idea where I find that at?

Thanks,
John

92sub

Motor City
Buick Ownership
87GN (gone), 2011 CXS (gone), 98 Regal GS
Vehicle Care section in the Lacrosse book, Service and Appearance Care section for Acadia.....look for TPMS (tire pressure monitoring system) Sensor Matching Process

rodeman

Phoenix
Buick Ownership
Buick LaCrosse
That is perfect, thanks so much. I'll take a look and see what I can do. The Acadia is being done today by the dealer, so I just need to do my LaCrosse.

Mad*Max

Toronto
Buick Ownership
2010 LaCrosse CXS, 2019 Corvette Stingray, 2018 Cadillac ATS AWD
The dealer has a tool (expensive) that allows them to do the learn quickly.
Your owners manual has a process that you can perform without tools, however it requires that you purge some air from each tire. So after the learn you'll need immediate access to an air compressor to refill them.

not really, I relearned my 2010 and didn't have to fill more air as the amount lost was negligible

Oneill5491

Buick Ownership
2012 Regal GS, 2010 LaCrosse CXS, 99 Regal GS
I just did a tire rotation two days ago for the first time. I would not have known to reset the TPMS system if I didn't accidentally spot that section in the owners manual while I was looking for the rotation pattern and lug nut torque spec (which is 110 ft lbs btw which is 10 lbs higher than the usual 100).

The reset procedure works like a charm. I should note that even though the manual says you can access the TPMS menu on the driver info display with the ignition in the ACC/ON position (without the engine running), that doesn't seem to be possible for the models equipped with the passive key push-button start system. I had to have the engine running to access the TPMS menu.

I happen to have a portable cigarette lighter powered air compressor, so I was able to use that to re-inflate the tires after deflating each tire so the computer would relearn the tire locations. One thing that annoyed me was how loud it would honk every time to confirm that it detects the tire deflation. Seems to me that it would be okay if it did those short honks like it does when you lock the car or leave your FOB in the car.

I'm curious to know what PSI value you guys inflate your tires to. On the 19" Goodyear RS-A tires, the max PSI rating shown on the sidewall is 51. I decided to inflate them to 45.

Last edited:

shoman90

Buick Ownership
Buick
I just did a tire rotation two days ago for the first time. I would not have known to reset the TPMS system if I didn't accidentally spot that section in the owners manual while I was looking for the rotation pattern and lug nut torque spec (which is 110 ft lbs btw which is 10 lbs higher than the usual 100).

The reset procedure works like a charm. I should note that even though the manual says you can access the TPMS menu on the driver info display with the ignition in the ACC/ON position (without the engine running), that doesn't seem to be possible for the models equipped with the passive key push-button start system. I had to have the engine running to access the TPMS menu.

I happen to have a portable cigarette lighter powered air compressor, so I was able to use that to re-inflate the tires after deflating each tire so the computer would relearn the tire locations. One thing that annoyed me was how loud it would honk every time to confirm that it detects the tire deflation. Seems to me that it would be okay if it did those short honks like it does when you lock the car or leave your FOB in the car.

I'm curious to know what PSI value you guys inflate your tires to. On the 19" Goodyear RS-A tires, the max PSI rating shown on the sidewall is 51. I decided to inflate them to 45.

I had no trouble relearning the sensors with the engine off.....passive key system. The horn honk was nothing out of the ordinary either. You may have something amiss?

ALWAYS run the tires at the recommended inflation which can be found in the manual or on the door jamb. 35 (all 4 corners) is the right amount for a 2010 CXS with the 19" RS-A tires.

How could you have 'accidentally' come across this info? Are you saying you didn't read the whole book within the first few days of ownership? ;)

In my 59 years, I have never bought a vehicle, new or used, that I didn't read the owner's manual cover to cover. Give that ol' manual a good read!

pogster

Alberta

The recommended pressure is 35. 60 for the spare. Open the drivers door and there's a sticker on the door post below the latch.

Oneill5491

Buick Ownership
2012 Regal GS, 2010 LaCrosse CXS, 99 Regal GS
I had no trouble relearning the sensors with the engine off.....passive key system. The horn honk was nothing out of the ordinary either.

Funny. What year do you have? When my car was in accessory mode, it would not let me change the driver display menu off of the odometer reading. I had to start the engine.

ALWAYS run the tires at the recommended inflation which can be found in the manual or on the door jamb. 35 (all 4 corners) is the right amount for a 2010 CXS with the 19" RS-A tires.
Wow, I didn't know that the recommended inflation would be so far below the max PSI rating for the tires. Good thing I asked.

How could you have 'accidentally' come across this info? Are you saying you didn't read the whole book within the first few days of ownership? ;)

In my 59 years, I have never bought a vehicle, new or used, that I didn't read the owner's manual cover to cover. Give that ol' manual a good read!
TLDR! :p

shoman90

Buick Ownership
Buick
Funny. What year do you have? When my car was in accessory mode, it would not let me change the driver display menu off of the odometer reading. I had to start the engine.

Wow, I didn't know that the recommended inflation would be so far below the max PSI rating for the tires. Good thing I asked.

TLDR! :p

I don't remember it being accessory mode to do the deed. Read that darn book! :(

Ours is a 2010.

RVdave

Buick Newbie
Simi Valley, CA
Buick Ownership
Buick LaCrosse
Like yours, my brand new 2011 LaCrosse CXL (keyless ignition - RKE) will not display any Menus in the Drivers Information Center unless the engine is running. With the ignition in the ACC mode (push start button with foot OFF the brake) it only displays the odometer.

Last edited:

shoman90

Buick Ownership
Buick
Like yours, my brand new 2011 LaCrosse CXL (keyless ignition - RKE) will not display any Menes in the Drivers Information Center unless the engine is running. With the ignition in the ACC mode (push start button with foot OFF the brake) it only displays the odometer.

You're doing it wrong too. It is not the ACC position you want to be in to do this procedure. You need to be in the On positon to access menus /TPMS relearn

...unless they changed the set up from 2010 to 2011

duck

Buick Ownership
Buick
My question for you my owners manuel says to change the oil every 12 months
My car has 1141 miles on it but i changed the oil anyway with mobil 1 dexos1
at the tune of 8.49 a qt filter change also a word of caution wear gloves if you do your own oil changes oil filter is right next to the exhaust and it is hot!!
I went to manuel to reset the oil life monitor and it said to turn key onto start
run without engine running i do not have a key it is keyless. I could not reset
unless the engine was running there is nothing in the manuel about a keyless
system ?I do do not drive car in rain or snow 2010 buick lacrosse 13 months
old.

shoman90

Buick Ownership
Buick
My question for you my owners manuel says to change the oil every 12 months
My car has 1141 miles on it but i changed the oil anyway with mobil 1 dexos1
at the tune of 8.49 a qt filter change also a word of caution wear gloves if you do your own oil changes oil filter is right next to the exhaust and it is hot!!
I went to manuel to reset the oil life monitor and it said to turn key onto start
run without engine running i do not have a key it is keyless. I could not reset
unless the engine was running there is nothing in the manuel about a keyless
system ?I do do not drive car in rain or snow 2010 buick lacrosse 13 months
old.

For all who haven't read the book....or maybe have the wrong owners manual?

2010 Owners Manual: Section 8 -- Driving and Operating -- pages 19&20 "Ignition Positions" (Keyless Access)

duck

Buick Ownership
Buick
Ok I read the book when i got the car but forgot most of the stuff go back
to it for it for info. I just reread the book on how to get ign. on with no start
i tried it six times and all i get is millage no menues etc but it works with engine running??? Try your car maybe there is something wrong with mine?

RVdave

Buick Newbie
Simi Valley, CA
Buick Ownership
Buick LaCrosse
You're doing it wrong too. It is not the ACC position you want to be in to do this procedure. You need to be in the On positon to access menus /TPMS relearn

...unless they changed the set up from 2010 to 2011

I think you may be misreading some of our responses. We KNOW you can't perform the TPMS from the ACC mode, because in that mode NO menus will display in the DIC. Thus, the engine must be running. I know that's the way it is for the 2011 models, and evidently that's the way it was in 2010.

duck

Buick Ownership
Buick
I agree the manuel says for acc. push the stop twice and for ign on push
start twice both have the same function but no menue every thing seems to
be the same in either function radio etc but no menue unless car is running
like i said in previous post there is nothing in the manuel about resetting
the oil monitor on that page with keyless and it does not refer you back in
the manuel to how to to turn on ign without engine running?

RVdave

Buick Newbie
Simi Valley, CA
Buick Ownership
Buick LaCrosse
duck - I'm not familiar with the 2010 model, but my 2011 LaCrosse's Owner Manual is printed WRONG. It specifically says to put the ignition in the ACC mode (engine off), but that's not possible on my keyless ignition model, because NO menus will display unless the engine is running. If I start the engine and select the appropriate menu, it gives me the option of resetting the oil-life system to 100% by pushing the button on the end of the turn signal lever. To enter the ACC ignition mode push the Start button with your foot OFF the brake, the engine won't start but some features such as the radio and windows will work. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

duck

Buick Ownership
Buick
Ok Like i said i read the book and the book is wrong or i am wrong but
but i tried everything by the book and i stiil will not get any menues
unless car is running maybe buick shoud put suppalment in the book
for keyless?

Get your turbo buick badge right here!