To build or not to build

2014 going strong

Buick Ownership
2014 Verano convenience p
Hello there,

I am currently the owner of a 2014 Verano convenience with 280k miles. I've replaced shocks and struts, timing chain plugs alternator one VVS the brakes twice and plenty of tires. Can't forget fluids and filters per manual.
My engine and transmission are starting to get tired. Uses a little more oil has a few more drops on the ground. A little sluggish on the go. I plan on getting another 200k out of the car so therein lies my questions.

Should I:
Drive the car til the motor fails then fix it.
Be proactive and have a short block rebuild done before it fails.
Yank it then put a low mile used engine/ transmission in it.
Hope that someone from Buick GM sees my little thread then offers up another option.

Some limiting factors are costs of repairs and downtime of my car. I make zero dollars when my car isn't moving.
There you have it.

KShef

Sustaining Member
Buick Ownership
99 Park Avenue Ultra turbo, 16 Verano T
Keep on driving. No reason to see why you won't get to your goal if you're properly maintaining the vehicle, which looks like you're already doing.

Skylarkin'

Sustaining Member
Sustaining Member
St. Louis, Missouri
Buick Ownership
2015 Buick Verano Turbo
Since you say you make no money when your car is stationary, I'd vote for either option 2 or 3. Perhaps a local junkyard has a Verano or some other GM vehicle that has been rear-ended yet also used the 2.4L engine and six-speed AT? The 2012-2015 Cruze wouldn't be a candidate for this since the first-generation didn't share engines with the Verano.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
Yank it then put a low mile used engine/ transmission in it, while this may be something premature it could be the option to consider. Having the luxury of time to look for a good value and then it can be repaired / replaced / reworked on before the other equipment takes a vacation. It's a whole bunch easier when it's a planned event then a Tuesday morning surprise lol.

Zeroboostbuick

S.W. Ontario Canada
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback - 2010 Yamaha R6 (track bike) Past cars: 92 LeSabre, 98 Regal, 02 GrandPrixGT
Replace the trans fluid with AMSOIL ATF same as the engine oil with AMSOIL Signature Series 5w30, with a little Lucas Synthetic oil stabilizer.

My brother's 2014 Verano feels as good or better than new after giving it the AMSOIL treatment. I swear his engine sounds quieter now than when it was new !!!

KevinJ

Contributing Member
Ohio
Buick Ownership
2013 Verano Premium (2.0T, AT)
I agree with 2007Lucerne.

I guess the real question to be asked and answered is, "How much life is really left in the Engine and/or Transmission?". Pretty sure no one can reliably answer that. Suffice it to say that 280,000 miles are not insignificant. It's also probably safe to say that when it does fail, it will probably be at the most inconvenient or inopportune time. Like in the middle of the night, or when your on your way to an important appointment.

Since you obviously want to keep the car on the road for quite a few more miles.
I would probably lean towards getting a good, low mileage, used engine and trans. as a combined unit.
And then having it swapped in right now as a planned event rather than an emergency repair.

I personally don't like inconvenient surprises that can possibly be averted.
So that has a lot to do with the direction I would go.

KevinJ

Contributing Member
Ohio
Buick Ownership
2013 Verano Premium (2.0T, AT)
Keep on driving. No reason to see why you won't get to your goal if you're properly maintaining the vehicle, which looks like you're already doing.
I'm not saying it's not possible, but does anybody personally know of a 4-cyl ever making it to 500,000 miles?
Especially these high revving, direct injection, 4-cyl's we have to day.
Because 500,000 miles is what the original poster is really trying accomplish....

2014 going strong

Buick Ownership
2014 Verano convenience p
I agree with 2007Lucerne.

I guess the real question to be asked and answered is, "How much life is really left in the Engine and/or Transmission?". Pretty sure no one can reliably answer that. Suffice it to say that 280,000 miles are not insignificant. It's also probably safe to say that when it does fail, it will probably be at the most inconvenient or inopportune time. Like in the middle of the night, or when your on your way to an important appointment.

Since you obviously want to keep the car on the road for quite a few more miles.
I would probably lean towards getting a good, low mileage, used engine and trans. as a combined unit.
And then having it swapped in right now as a planned event rather than an emergency repair.

I personally don't like inconvenient surprises that can possibly be averted.
So that has a lot to do with the direction I would go.
Yes being in the middle of somewhere is the biggest worry. I am a courier so I never know what a day will bring. Could be two miles from home or two hundred. My fear is a catastrophic failure.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.