• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

To GS owners with no spare! Check your trunk.

Eilustre

Buick Newbie
Maryland
Buick Ownership
16' Buick Regal GS "Ebony Metallic" & 17' BMW M3 F80
Whats up guys

Just wanted to inform all GS owners whom doesn't have a spare just the air canister and fix-a-flat canisters. Today decided to clean my trunk and get rid of unwanted stuff iex) cleaning supplies for the car thats old. Once in and removed everything and vaccum, i smelled something musty in there and checked it. Once lifting the bottom i notice water around the well area and scratching my head "why is their water everywhere" Upon inspection i took out the air pump and casing and alot of fluid was in there. Wiped everything down dried and blew it dry for anything.

Cleaning the air pump i took everything apart from lines and noticed where the fix-a-flat hose had corrosion around the tip. Thats where the issue was. During the winter months i've have never thought this would happen but it did to me. What did i do you asked? Took the canister off and threw that crap away. Im guessing this cold in Maryland and below freezing froze it to the point where it just leaked under the trunk well. But i placed a picture of what it looked but didnt get an after shot of it. Moral of the story is, disconnect the canister with the release tab on the fix-a-flat side and just chuck it.

In my expereience in tires, dont and i hope you dont put that fluid in your tires due to a puncture or flat. Once you do, you'll be buying a new sensor because its corrosive to the component and will go into a small pin hole on the sensor where air is suppose to go in and show on your DIC screen or you'll just get a ( --- ) on one of your tires.

20190207_155856.jpgIMG_20180920_125254_584.jpg

Eilustre

Buick Newbie
Maryland
Buick Ownership
After nightmare experience with just the canister vs a sidewall blowout, i now have a full size 20" spare back there.

BANG.
Lol, when i got the car it had the 20' and with the pvd chrome it tends to build up corrosion and peels from the lip area inside the rim with the tire and told them to swap them out with the 19's. But then 3 yrs later kinda miss the 20' factorys lol.

shs92645

Barrington, RI
Buick Ownership
2013 Regal GS, Smokey Grey, auto, 19”, Nav
My tire kit that came with the car is in my garage since buying a spare was an immediate priority after buying the car.

87LC2

Buick Newbie
Bensalem, PA
Buick Ownership
2016 Regal GS
I would never use that crap in any tire, thanks for the tip. Will be coming out this weekend. I learned the hard way a few weeks ago that not having a spare can be a big inconvenience. Hit a monster pothole at night and blew a 1" gash in the sidewall of a tire. Was in the middle of nowhere and had to wait 2 hours for AAA to show up for a tow. Fix-a-flat wont patch a sidewall gash, useless anyway.

I really need to look into getting a spare for this car, I saw a thread with part numbers a bit ago but forget where it was.

Eilustre

Buick Newbie
Maryland
Buick Ownership
I would never use that crap in any tire, thanks for the tip. Will be coming out this weekend. I learned the hard way a few weeks ago that not having a spare can be a big inconvenience. Hit a monster pothole at night and blew a 1" gash in the sidewall of a tire. Was in the middle of nowhere and had to wait 2 hours for AAA to show up for a tow. Fix-a-flat wont patch a sidewall gash, useless anyway.

I really need to look into getting a spare for this car, I saw a thread with part numbers a bit ago but forget where it was.
Ouch that sucks man. No spare for me yet haha, im turning the spare area with air tank and bagging it this summer. Plus my wheels from brixton should be also done by spring. Yea with my experience with people coming in woth flats then taking the tires off and seeing fix-a-flat dont go well with sensors.

Last edited:

seafarer61

Buick Ownership
2016 Regal GS
Good advice to check. On a related note, it's rather pathetic that cars costing $40K and more have deleted the spare tire option to opt for that goo crap. I can, along with many other old-timers, recall the days when you had a real tire spare and not a donut. Now, you don't even get that. If given the choice, I'd rather have a spare than TPMS. Come to think of it, I better get to ordering one.

Eilustre

Buick Newbie
Maryland
Buick Ownership
Good advice to check. On a related note, it's rather pathetic that cars costing $40K and more have deleted the spare tire option to opt for that goo crap. I can, along with many other old-timers, recall the days when you had a real tire spare and not a donut. Now, you don't even get that. If given the choice, I'd rather have a spare than TPMS. Come to think of it, I better get to ordering one.
Or just go in and grab the canister and just throw the fix-a-flat canister thats connnected to the air compressor and throw it in the trash. Thats what i did today when i found that crap.

seafarer61

Buick Ownership
2016 Regal GS
^ Spot on. First thing I did when I bought my GS was throw that can of mung away and buy a top shelf compressor (I've always carried 'em). I live in a metro area and short of a full on blow out, I'm ok to just rock a compressor and plug kit. I've walked out to previous cars only to find a flat (due to a nail) and the compressor was always there to get me home. Blow-outs? That's what State Farm is for. For a journey down to the Keys however, I'll just toss one of my 19's I just took off the car...already mounted and balanced to a 7/32 RS-A.

mlarabia

Buick Newbie
Northern NJ
Buick Ownership
'17 Buick Regal GS
Spare tire for me from Modern Spare...I had a blow out a week after I bought the car and had to wait two hours for a tow. I had a blow out last week on the NJ turnpike and I was back on the road in 20 minutes with my spare! Much better....

87LC2

Buick Newbie
Bensalem, PA
Buick Ownership
2016 Regal GS
Thanks for the Modern Spare tip. Seems a bit expensive, but I would much rather spend the money that be stuck on the side of the road again...

Jon17GS

NJ
Buick Ownership
2017 Buick Regal GS
Spare tire for me from Modern Spare...I had a blow out a week after I bought the car and had to wait two hours for a tow. I had a blow out last week on the NJ turnpike and I was back on the road in 20 minutes with my spare! Much better....
Does the complete Modern Spare set fit flush in the trunk well keeping the carpet flat?

Eilustre

Buick Newbie
Maryland
Buick Ownership
Does the complete Modern Spare set fit flush in the trunk well keeping the carpet flat?
It should work, i mean the lexus is and toyota avalons they have full size spares. But if you have the 19' or 20' option it may stick the carpet and board up.

Thats why i havent gotten a full spare yet due to my aftermarket brixton wheels will be here in a month.

Eilustre

Buick Newbie
Maryland
Buick Ownership
What size rim is your spare?
I believe between a 17 to an 18' wheel would fit in our well. You have to think of the height of the tire aswell and of the carpet/board cover will sit flush. With a 19 or 20' with a tire will be pushing it and seem like it wont be flush just may stick up a bit

pkgmsu2000

Contributing Member
Denver, CO
Buick Ownership
2014 Buick Regal GS
I believe between a 17 to an 18' wheel would fit in our well. You have to think of the height of the tire aswell and of the carpet/board cover will sit flush. With a 19 or 20' with a tire will be pushing it and seem like it wont be flush just may stick up a bit
19 or 20 would also be much heavier and reduce the pep.

agaric

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
2017 Regal GS AWD Crimson Red Tint Coat
Those with water in the trunk should check the grommet in the body that holds the forward part of the taillight assembly and
requires an upward pull to release properly. If the taillight is pulled too hard to the rear like it looks like it should go and the front of the light is not lifted then out comes the grommet.
It's amazing how much debris collects under the taillight.