• In the 1980s and 1990s we used AOL and Usenet. In the 2000s there were forums and message boards. In the 2010s - and until the very near future - social media. Something new is coming for Buick owners... Become an early adopter of what's next by SIGNING UP HERE. Your email address will not be sold or used in any way other than us communicating more details as we prepare for launch - and we will not communicate often.

Todays I started.... long way to go with my Wildcat

ChuckBridges

Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada
Buick Ownership
1966 Wildcat 2 door
Bob, the mechanic, seemed to be quite knowledgeable about my car and the carburetor. He told me that the usual carburetor on these cars was the Carter and the Rochester was a less common. He told me that the Carter was a better carburetor for people who put their foot into it, but for cruising, the Rochester will get you better mileage. Works for me. I want her for cruising around town, not racing around. Besides, that one trip to Fort MacLeod I took it for showed me that, even with the carburetor needing a rebuild, she had plenty of power. It could keep up and pass the other vehicles on the road. Cruising at 110 KPH (70 MPH), she was smooth and sweet. It does seem to "float" over the bumps more than my pickup does. A lot of weight, close to the ground. I will have to wait on the paint job. Ran out of money for now:oops:. Next year. For the next 3 months, she is going to sleep under her new car cover. I put an electronic battery maintainer on it. It only turns on when the battery level falls below it's float value. Since I live in a condo, I have a designated plug for my spot that I do not pay for directly, condo fees cover it. Now, here's hoping for an early spring.

I was thinking of adding a tach. Have to think about it. I do like the fact that my truck has one.

Well, a Merry Christmas to all and a Happy New Year.

ChuckBridges

Buick Ownership
1966 Wildcat 2 door
I talked to the mechanic, Bob yesterday. He sells Remote Control cars, drones... as well. I went in to purchase a battery for a drone and he got to talking to me. he said he was amazed that my car still had the hubcaps, all the trim, straight body, good glass, and the bumpers looking immaculate. I told him I polished the bumpers and trim this summer. They didn't look nearly as nice before. He asked me again if I felt like selling her. Still no, but I am interested in gauges. He said that he could put in a set of good quality gauges for $300 Can. He agreed that supplementing the "Idiot Lights" is a really good idea. I told him that I would see him in the new year for a set. He said that sounds great as he loved working on my car, but please, keep other peoples hands off the carburetor. He said that working on a Quadrajet is a little more involved than other carbs. I am coming to really trust him. This is good, having a mechanic who likes your car and working on your car, and is fair on his prices. If any of you have ever watched "Uncle Tony's Garage", Bob reminds me of him, straight talking, down to earth, and easy to talk to.

Well, time to watch the new Rambo. A good evening to all!

ChuckBridges

Buick Ownership
1966 Wildcat 2 door
I went to order the gauges for my car from Bob today. I told him that my wife told me he was in charge of decisions, not me.;) :unsure: He asked me what I wanted. I told him that I wanted a set of gauges that would supplement the "Idiot Lights" on the car and be fairly accurate. We talked about a set I had seen that were electric. He told me that for real accuracy, I need a set of mechanical gauges and for water temp and oil pressure, the electrical connection isn't the way he would go. He had a set of Chrome gauges, Auto Meter Three Gauge Console 2329 that, although a little more expensive, were far more accurate. In the end, they were only 9 dollars Can. more that the ones I had been looking at, but way better. Okay, I bought the ones that had been on the shelf for a while (dusty), but other people had balked at the cost when you can go to Canadian Tire and buy a cheap set for $40 less. He said to call me next week to arrange putting them in. We then talked about the leaking motor. It used 2 quarts of oil to go 450 miles. Not burning blue, but pushing it out. He said for about $1200 he could pull the engine and replace all of the gaskets, but, since the motor is already out, it should be looked at while apart. He recommended replacing the oil pump, timing chain, honing the cylinders and new rings, maybe crankshaft... I told him that my budget was going to be around $2500 for this work and he thinks we can work with that. I am thinking engine before new paint. Fix up the old girl as I can, but mechanical should be before appearance. So far, I have spent on the car about what Ray did in 12 years on her.

Last edited:

ChuckBridges

Buick Ownership
1966 Wildcat 2 door
If people can bear with me, I know I am messing up with the terminology on things. I am working to educate myself. My bad..... sorry.

ChuckBridges

Buick Ownership
1966 Wildcat 2 door
Well, I booked her in to get the engine done. This will be the first time in my memory that I have had a running engine rebuilt. I gave Bob my budget of $3000 and asked him to do what he felt needed doing. I know he wants to replace the oil pump and the timing chain, The rest is up to him to determine. As my wife said, leave him in charge. My brother told me not to tell him my budget, he will come as close as he can to rip you off. I told him that I do not think so, he likes the car and has been fair with me so far. I am going to be glad to have the engine done. I was originally planning on doing the paint job first, but, in the end decided that since she lives under a car cover and I have fixed the rust, the paint should wait until after the engine. Not using any oil will be nice. I have up to now kept oil in the trunk That will be a thing of the past.

I need to call him next week Thursday or Friday to arrange a time for the next week. This will give him a chance to order the gasket kit and other things he wants to check and replace. I love my wildcat.

ChuckBridges

Buick Ownership
1966 Wildcat 2 door
I started fixing the steering wheel today. It is in pretty poor shape, but, I think I can repair it. I fixed all of the gaps in the outer ring that were large. I started the filled the larger cracks in the centre piece. Tomorrow, I will sand them. I think it is going to take a few weeks, but my wife and I both want the original steering wheel back in the car. The one Ray put in is smaller and too new looking, style wise. I emailed a company about getting the wheel redone, but they never returned my email, so, I will do it myself.

Tomorrow, I have to contact the mechanic about when to bring my car down. I am lookin forward to it.

HotZ28

Full Member Since 2005
SE
Buick Ownership
1996 Roadmaster Limited Collectors Edition 58k - 1996 PAU 2019 Regal GS
This thread is getting long & old! You may want to start a new thread with updates, which will save some members from reading the whole process of this renovation. We now have 66 post in this thread, too many for the normal member to take the time to read through here. Thanks!

Looking to update and upgrade your Buick luxury automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!