Took a GX for a test drive tonight....

eccs19

Buick Ownership
2011 Regal & 2018 Regal
My wife has been wanting to get a small SUV and wanting to get back into a Buick. Her Hyundai Sonata (2013) was a big disappointment, so back to Buick. We originally went to take a Encore for a test drive, but it just felt cheap and didn't feel / drive like a Buick. The guy suggested trying out the GX. I must say, night and day difference between the two. I actually think anyone who's used to a Encore wouldn't believe it's the same SUV. They could have easily gave this a new model name IMO. Totally different vehicle. Good chance she's going to get it.

DocBrown

Buick Ownership
2016 Encore Sport Touring
Thanks for sharing that. It is an entirely different model, and not the same car. That's why they added the GX. It's also a slightly bigger vehicle.

CAGirl73

Buick Ownership
Buick Encore GX ST (Essence AWD)
First post here!

Isn't the GX a fun car? I am the proud owner of a Encore GX ST (Essence AWD) since May 29th. :) I have to say I like it the more I drive it. For a small car with a 3 cylinder engine, it has a lot of get up and go. The tech features are great and the styling is unique - especially with the ST package.

The lease on my previous car was up this June and I knew I wanted something smaller with better gas mileage. I had originally looked at an Encore in January, but heard the Encore GX was coming out in Spring, so I waited. I'm really glad I did.

Last edited:

eccs19

Buick Ownership
2011 Regal & 2018 Regal
Wife decided she wanted this vehicle. We pick it up next Monday. Don't remember the color name, but it looks black, but in the correct light, it's a nice metallic blue.

Regal LTD Coupe

Buick Ownership
1993 Buick Regal Limited coupe 3800 (& 1990 Lincoln LSC SE)
Encore is made in China, Encore GX may be made in Korea (though are also built in China; which makes it too our market I'm not sure). You're trading one Korean vehicle for another, or worse! Look into it before anything's final and good luck with that. Parts could be hard to find too if things I have seen around here are an indicator for these import "Buicks." Just saying; don't shoot the messenger.

CAGirl73

Buick Ownership
Buick Encore GX ST (Essence AWD)
Wife decided she wanted this vehicle. We pick it up next Monday. Don't remember the color name, but it looks black, but in the correct light, it's a nice metallic blue.

Congrats! I'm sure she'll love it.

grandpapa-g

Buick Ownership
Encore-GX
I picked up my Encore-GX on May 20. It is the select trim with tech, burnished bronze. The colour wasn't our first choice (Azure blue) but I wanted to avoid the panoramic roof and this was all that they could find. The colour does grow on you, My wife and I love the ride so far and I am getting used to the tech. the car has lots of pep, and is fun to drive. My previous two cars were a 2011 Regal turbo and a 2016 Sonata both of which I enjoyed, The GX suspension is a little harsh compared to the sedans but I'm sure we will get used to it.
I hope your wife enjoys it as much as we do.

poncho167

Buick Ownership
2019 Essence
Encore is made in China, Encore GX may be made in Korea (though are also built in China; which makes it too our market I'm not sure). You're trading one Korean vehicle for another, or worse! Look into it before anything's final and good luck with that. Parts could be hard to find too if things I have seen around here are an indicator for these import "Buicks." Just saying; don't shoot the messenger.
That's a good positive unneeded comment.

Regal LTD Coupe

Buick Ownership
That's a good positive unneeded comment.
If it saves one person thinking they're buying a Buick from really buying an against trend overseas knockoff and perhaps they'll end up buying a domestically manufactured vehicle instead; then indeed it absolutely is "good and positive," thanks!

poncho167

Buick Ownership
2019 Essence
If it saves one person thinking they're buying a Buick from really buying an against trend overseas knockoff and perhaps they'll end up buying a domestically manufactured vehicle instead; then indeed it absolutely is "good and positive," thanks!
There are not too many domestic made cars on the market nowadays compared to years past. Better to buy from a domestic brand than to steer a potential buyer to a foreign brand that is made in the USA.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
So domestic means anything that may come out of Mexico or Canada should be also avoided as they are foreign countries the last time I checked on a map of the USA.

poncho167

Buick Ownership
2019 Essence
So domestic means anything that may come out of Mexico or Canada should be also avoided as they are foreign countries the last time I checked on a map of the USA.
I am aware of what domestic means and I am also aware of who a domestic brand is and how it effects our economy. There are far too many people, especially in California, who are either clueless, just don't care, or think buying a foreign brand automobile will give them a higher status in society. I would rather support a local business than go to a Walmart most any day. It is best to keep negative political comments that could deter a potential buyer of an American brand to himself.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
Sorry if you misunderstood the comment, but it's not political it's factual as purchasing a vehicle built in Canada or South Korea it is still manufactured in a foreign country. Some think that if it's made in North America it's not a foreign import into the US, well that's a viewpoint of how they see the world I guess.

poncho167

Buick Ownership
2019 Essence
Sorry if you misunderstood the comment, but it's not political it's factual as purchasing a vehicle built in Canada or South Korea it is still manufactured in a foreign country. Some think that if it's made in North America it's not a foreign import into the US, well that's a viewpoint of how they see the world I guess.
Yes, I agree with that analogy, but what I don't agree with is people who think there is no difference if they support a foreign brand company such as Nissan or Hyundai, just because they operate a plant in the United States. There are big repercussions to such thoughts economic wise, that is one of the major reasons that my dollars go to purchasing American brand automobiles regardless to where they are made.

Regal LTD Coupe

Buick Ownership
If a vehicle were made in Canada or Mexico, how is that even relevant? Why is this being even mentioned? How the bloody hell could that ever be one's response to the fact that "BUICKS" ARE BEING BUILT IN COMMUNIST CHINA. There is no defence for this at all. If you're defending American businesses using slave labor in China, shame on you degenerate. it has nothing to do with "politics" and everything to do with self preservation and perpetuating our own culture, beliefs, and peoples over places at odds with us. If anyone's from California it must be you.

Skylarkin'

Sustaining Member
Sustaining Member
St. Louis, Missouri
Buick Ownership
2015 Buick Verano Turbo
Honda, Toyota and Nissan took our "Made in America" 1980s rallying cry and subverted it. They've built factories here since 1982 and while they keep workers employed and help local economies, the bulk of the vehicles' profits are certainly not invested in those communities; they go back to Japan for R&D and other uses. Hyundai and Kia have followed suit. (Toyota's involvement in NASCAR ((could never imagine a Camry as a stock car when I was a teen)) and sponsoring MLB games illustrate how hard it has worked to appear American, plus its TV ads with "Jan").

As Lucerne wrote, now many consumers think if vehicles are built here, that means they are domestic, regardless of which company made it.

If I could not buy a vehicle from a domestic brand made in North America, I would rather buy a Buick assembled in South Korea, knowing the profits return to Detroit than a Honda built in Marysville, Ohio or a Nissan built in Smyrna, Tennessee.

Skylarkin'

Sustaining Member
Sustaining Member
St. Louis, Missouri
Buick Ownership
2015 Buick Verano Turbo
My wife has been wanting to get a small SUV and wanting to get back into a Buick. Her Hyundai Sonata (2013) was a big disappointment, so back to Buick. We originally went to take a Encore for a test drive, but it just felt cheap and didn't feel / drive like a Buick. The guy suggested trying out the GX. I must say, night and day difference between the two. I actually think anyone who's used to a Encore wouldn't believe it's the same SUV. They could have easily gave this a new model name IMO. Totally different vehicle. Good chance she's going to get it.
Good thing you didn't test-drive a Chevy Trax before you drove the Encore.

Regal LTD Coupe

Buick Ownership
Honda, Toyota and Nissan took our "Made in America" 1980s rallying cry and subverted it. They've built factories here since 1982 and while they keep workers employed and help local economies, the bulk of the vehicles' profits are certainly not invested in those communities; they go back to Japan for R&D and other uses. Hyundai and Kia have followed suit. (Toyota's involvement in NASCAR ((could never imagine a Camry as a stock car when I was a teen)) and sponsoring MLB games illustrate how hard it has worked to appear American, plus its TV ads with "Jan").

As Lucerne wrote, now many consumers think if vehicles are built here, that means they are domestic, regardless of which company made it.

If I could not buy a vehicle from a domestic brand made in North America, I would rather buy a Buick assembled in South Korea, knowing the profits return to Detroit than a Honda built in Marysville, Ohio or a Nissan built in Smyrna, Tennessee.
I'll take it a step further and not buy anything new until the big 3 smarten up. I'll continue to drive my domestically manufactured vehicles, fitting then with domestically manufactured parts whenever possible, and hiring a local mechanic to install them when needed. The presence of foreign manufacturers domestically has been generally terrible for the industry given how much less they pay their workers; they're able to put more into the car for far less money and in turn people think they build better cars. Its not exactly a fair playing field and is perhaps one of the reasons GM thinks they need to go abroad to compete.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
First off comparing South Korea to China, it is South Korea not Korea, I'm guessing it must be a oversight. If that's to hard to follow look at the manufacturers tag where it says "Made In" not "Assembled In" and if not USA it's foreign. Getting into ownership of the company that are manufacturers in the USA is more than I care to explain to people who may have a mindset on how the world is.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
Um it's the big 2 as Chrysler is foriegn owned that's why it's FCA. I guess that information was missed when it was purchased.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!