Took a GX for a test drive tonight....

Again

Magnetic Hill, New-Brunswick, Canada
Buick Ownership
2016 Encore
I would really like to get into this conversation but I have to resist... I can't GM's Impala, Malibu, all Ford's passenger cars including the Taurus, all of Chrysler's passenger vehicle and all of Jeep's line-up except Grand Cherokee and Rubicon made it on the 40 worst vehicles to buy JD Powers' list with the Fiats 500 series.

Didn't see the Encore, Cruze or Trax on that list

Regal LTD Coupe

Buick Ownership
1993 Buick Regal Limited coupe 3800 (& 1990 Lincoln LSC SE)
Chrysler is, for better or worse, partly owned by the UAW. But that's besides the point. I'm also not conflating South Korea and China but both the Encore and Encore GX are indeed made in China while a South Korean factory builds the Encore GX as well.

As far as the domestically manufactured vehicles being on some "worst list;" only furthers my point about them being unable to compete under the current playing field of foreign manufacturers being present in the same country but playing by different rules.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
On January 1, 2014, Fiat S.p.A announced a deal to purchase the rest of Chrysler from the United Auto Workers retiree health trust. The deal was completed on January 21, 2014, making Chrysler Group a subsidiary of Fiat S.p.A. In May 2014, Fiat Chrysler Automobiles was established by merging Fiat S.p.A. into the company. This was completed in August 2014. Chrysler Group LLC remained a subsidiary until December 15, 2014, when it was renamed FCA US LLC, to reflect the Fiat-Chrysler merger. Just bringing things up to date.

poncho167

Buick Ownership
2019 Essence
I would really like to get into this conversation but I have to resist... I can't GM's Impala, Malibu, all Ford's passenger cars including the Taurus, all of Chrysler's passenger vehicle and all of Jeep's line-up except Grand Cherokee and Rubicon made it on the 40 worst vehicles to buy JD Powers' list with the Fiats 500 series.

Didn't see the Encore, Cruze or Trax on that list
The Encore is again rated # 1 on J.D. Powers as it is continually achieving awards since its first production year in 2013. Second place goes to the Kia Niro. Buick as a whole was rated # 3 in dependability for 2020.

poncho167

Buick Ownership
2019 Essence
Chrysler is, for better or worse, partly owned by the UAW. But that's besides the point. I'm also not conflating South Korea and China but both the Encore and Encore GX are indeed made in China while a South Korean factory builds the Encore GX as well.

As far as the domestically manufactured vehicles being on some "worst list;" only furthers my point about them being unable to compete under the current playing field of foreign manufacturers being present in the same country but playing by different rules.
The Encore for the US is built in South Korea. China does manufacture a version but for its own market. There are also two European manufacturing locations for the version called the Mokka.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
Thank you for stating facts. We shouldn't buy German vehicles because they bombed Pearl Harbor, misinformation highway running on nitrous LOL.

DocBrown

Buick Ownership
2016 Encore Sport Touring
Up until 1999 Motor Trend had separate COY awards for domestic and foreign name plates. They combined the two in 2000 because of the high number of parts made on all cars that are both domestic and foreign. In other words the lines have blended to the point where it is no longer relevant.

Speaking of accurate information, GM produces cars in China for the Chinese market, just like Toyota, Honda, BMW, Hundai, and Kia make cars in the US for the US market. GM makes more money in China than anywhere else in the world. The only car that GM has exported to the US is the Buick Envision. The Encore and Encore GX are assembled in South Korea. Other big manufacturers also assemble and sell their cars in China.

Parts are a whole separate discussion. They come from all over the world which is why they say a car is "assembled"in this country or that.

Jby

Buick Ownership
2019 Encore Sport Touring
I drove a new gx for 2 weeks. With the CVT and the 3cyl engine. It is a completely different beast, the hood slope is different and you can see more of the hood so that makes it feel bigger, seemed like it sat lower. It is wider enough it has a real armrest for two. The dash has it's ac vents as a slim horizontals in a separate trim line, this gives the impression of greater width I think. It had ok power to do normal driving, but accleration onto the highway seems a bit more lathargic than my current '19 Sport Touring. The cvt operated ok, I never got used to it, I found the way the thing rev'd with no shifting a bit unerving. The engine sounded like a bag of mad hornets when you goosed it for on ramp acceleration. My mother in laws walker did fit in the back as easily as it does in mine. All in all I like the one I have, but to each their own. Happy motoring.

poncho167

Buick Ownership
2019 Essence
I drove a new gx for 2 weeks. With the CVT and the 3cyl engine. It is a completely different beast, the hood slope is different and you can see more of the hood so that makes it feel bigger, seemed like it sat lower. It is wider enough it has a real armrest for two. The dash has it's ac vents as a slim horizontals in a separate trim line, this gives the impression of greater width I think. It had ok power to do normal driving, but accleration onto the highway seems a bit more lathargic than my current '19 Sport Touring. The cvt operated ok, I never got used to it, I found the way the thing rev'd with no shifting a bit unerving. The engine sounded like a bag of mad hornets when you goosed it for on ramp acceleration. My mother in laws walker did fit in the back as easily as it does in mine. All in all I like the one I have, but to each their own. Happy motoring.
Yes, I have seen real good review thus far but no reason to consider trading on a vehicle that I have had less than a year. For what it is worth, I saw Consumer Reports test drive on it and they liked it a lot but did give it a " not recommended " because of the engine noise.

Last edited:

Regal LTD Coupe

Buick Ownership
Yes, I have seen real good review thus far but no reason to consider trading on a vehicle that I have had less than a year. For what it is worth, I saw Consumer Reports test drive on it and they liked it a lot but did not give it a " not recommended " because of the engine noise.
Why do people still care what Communist Reports has to say?

poncho167

Buick Ownership
2019 Essence
Why do people still care what Communist Reports has to say?
Well, consumers are lazy and are easily manipulated. They don't realize how CR works and believe everything they hear.

Blaine2020

Buick Ownership
2020 Encore GX and 2017 Encore
So domestic means anything that may come out of Mexico or Canada should be also avoided as they are foreign countries the last time I checked on a map of the USA.

Well that's super protectionism at its worst! What a joke. Its a world global market now, get used to that! Ford have built cars in UK and Germany for years and Vauxhall (GM) in UK.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
You may want to read all the posts as I was referring to another post by a individual who is somewhat clueless on how the real world works or about posting facts LOL.

Regal LTD Coupe

Buick Ownership
Please enlighten me.
How does consumer reports works?
Through its parent Consumer Union, dubbed a Communist front by the US Congress.

agaric

Buick Newbie
Sustaining Member
Buick Ownership
2017 Regal GS AWD Crimson Red Tint Coat
CR works by having people buy products, not using provided test units, and test them for ease of use and longevity and if they work as advertised.
Their reliability ratings are compiled from surveys of users of the products that are involved.
They do not accept advertising nor allow use of a good product rating to advertise an item.
CR was also one of the major players in the push to recall dangerous infant strollers; car seats; and bedding.

poncho167

Buick Ownership
2019 Essence
Please enlighten me.
How does consumer reports works?
I don't understand why "CR"is so bad.
Their results are based on subscribers only. One doesn't know if they are legitimate or not or what their demographic of the subscriber is. They also outsource to third party companies who test products. They had a huge controversy about 15-years ago with automobile child safety seats when one of their paid companies said 8 out 10 car seats where not recommended. As it turned out the study was flawed and Consumer Reports was all over the news apologizing. I remember another time where a midsize van was not recommended because the seat belt chime warning was came on .04 seconds too late. That was the only supposed flaw of the vehicle.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
Again clueless, the House Un-American Activities Committee placed Consumers Union on a list of subversive organizations, only to remove it in 1954!!!

I guess you missed the history lesson on Senator McCarthy or maybe you voted for him LMAO.

Regal LTD Coupe

Buick Ownership
Again clueless, the House Un-American Activities Committee placed Consumers Union on a list of subversive organizations, only to remove it in 1954!!!

I guess you missed the history lesson on Senator McCarthy or maybe you voted for him LMAO.
The only thing missed is that McCarthy was right and we were so stupid we're paying for it now.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!