• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Top dash peel

XxReaLesTxX

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Hi I'm new here,just bought a Buick Lesabre (2004) Custom 69,400mi. I love this car even though for my age (36) people say it's a grandpa car,I think they just jealous personally haha but on to my issue. In buying the car I looked it over with a fine tooth comb,but OVERlooked the dash issue I have. It's not cracked just peeling up,a new one is outrageous I looked most no cheaper then 450.00-800.00 that's not happening. I don't really want a used one because the interior is spotless in this car was very well maintained. So in the picture I posted is this fixable? Or do I have to get a whole new dash pad? It isn't broken or cracked anywhere so I feel it can be fixed. Usually when broken you have other options in fill,paint etc but this looks as if the little bracket underneath broke free. I tried to press back in,but I don't actually want to crack the dash so I left it alone. I am in Baltimore,MD so if anybody 1st knows can this be repaired instead of replaced 2) Does anybody know if replacement is only way a place that re-creates or fixes etc. Basically just what my options are and cheapest if at all possible. Now that I notice it's raised higher then when I bought it,definitely is bothering me. Thanks for any help/advice and hopefully somebody I'm sure has a solution here,seems like a pretty knowledgeable bunch.

Attachments

ryenie

Maynardville, TN
Buick Ownership
95 Monte Carlo L36
I would think that using the right epoxy and doing it when its hot outside so the pads more flexible you could get it back to shape. It looks like the slot that would hold it down, or lock the defrost vent cover is broken, the lip that is sticking up should be tucked into from what i'm picturing. You might also be able to put a little bit of weight on it while it's sitting in the sun to try and ease it back down so it's not so drastic. Not really sure what the best kind of glue would be but i think if done properly it could be done so that it could be a lasting repair.

XxReaLesTxX

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
I would think that using the right epoxy and doing it when its hot outside so the pads more flexible you could get it back to shape. It looks like the slot that would hold it down, or lock the defrost vent cover is broken, the lip that is sticking up should be tucked into from what i'm picturing. You might also be able to put a little bit of weight on it while it's sitting in the sun to try and ease it back down so it's not so drastic. Not really sure what the best kind of glue would be but i think if done properly it could be done so that it could be a lasting repair.

Yea I figured same thing,it's not horrible honestly but I know it's not gonna get better on its own. It's not cracked which is 50/50 on repair/Usually replace so leaning like 30/70 haha. I'm gonna see what can be done because I like the car a lot it's clean. I overpaid a little and needed some work to pass inspection but it's a good car all in all,so I do wanna fix if possible. 800$ for a new one? I don't know if I wanna fix that bad haha. That's just for part,found cheaper but they are cheaper. Not OEM even just thinner and no black which I want/need. I might if it's expensive just put a dash aftermarket one in there,not a pep boys one but take to dash shop and get a decent one. If I'm gonna spend the money minds we'll upgrade it instead of that much for OEM.

HotZ28

Buick Ownership
1996 Roadmaster Limited Collectors Edition 58k - 1996 PAU
It sounds kike the car was sitting forward for some time facing the west sun for too long, regardless of the location. You might try to find a replacement @ http://car-part.com/. If that does not suit you, look for a carpet dash pad on eBay and just cover it up the best you can. If you do decide to replace the dash and want to prevent any dash damage and distortion to the dash, you should have clear ceramic tint installed on the inside of the windshield that can filter 99% of the UV rays.

Last edited:

XxReaLesTxX

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Yea I'm gonna find out later today if it can be fixed. I just don't wanna stick stuff under it and make worse,seems like a simple fix but same time the location and parts all around it can cause more damage. I gonna get a price on repair/replace and custom. I'm no fool that's for sure,never take one shop price nor take first item available for a potential replacement. When you stay on top of cars it gets quite expensive. I look for the deals and use estimates to negotiate. I'll post results,I'm sure not the only person having this concern. I heard it's quite common to happen with Buick and Pontiac,not sure again it's my first Buick so just gotta feel things out. I know that it's bothersome,more so because I didn't notice it at first. I looked for just about everything else and it wasn't as bad as now but was def raised a little.

GliderRides

3.8L Member
Buick Ownership
2000 LeSabre
2000 LeSabre 80k miles, mine is raised up the same way, but it's all to the right of the steering wheel. From the light sensor, almost to the steering wheel.

I read elsewhere that this can be stuck down with a 3M double sided tape, but not sure how true that is. Maybe the thickest, stickiest 3M available, or a butyl rubber Cool Seal roof tape.

Same as ryenie said, I thought I might try a heat gun this summer, maybe with wet towels on the outside of the windshield. Use a weight for a while to press it down and hopefully re-form it some, then come back with the 3M or other sticky stuff.

Saw some youtube videos about replacement, but I wonder how long before it warps again. You can get an idea of what's under there from the videos.

Velcro? That thick, wide, coarse stuff. Getting the hump to lay flat first may be the trick.

Fuelman

Shenandoah Valley VA.
Buick Ownership
02 Buick Lesabre Custom
I pulled my pad drilled holes (a lot of them 3/4" spacing) through the hidden flange and plastic and laced it down (wire ties) then got some matching material to hide the laces not perfect but I still have my 500$ and a clear line of sight. 2 years later all is well.

Glenn W

SE WI
Buick Ownership
2001 LeSabre
What the heck does Baltimore's climate to dashboards? Believe it or not, the carfax on my '01 said it was a rental/lease car for the first 2 years and then spent the next 10 or so in Baltimore before going to the auto auction & the corner lot I bought it from. We have matching dashboards ☺

Glenn W

SE WI
Buick Ownership
2001 LeSabre
All jokes aside, I did notice last Summer that when the car is parked facing the sun with the windows rolled up for a few hours, the dash could ALMOST be pushed back into place. With a second set of hands to get the leading edge tucked down in while pushing, it'd probably go in. Problem I see is after you get it in, then what? Unless one pulls the windshield I don't see a good way to prep and rivet it in place with some epoxy (after proper prep for the glue) and short of that, I have to assume it'd just pull right back out and rip/crack out any lesser fasteners.

GliderRides

3.8L Member
Buick Ownership
2000 LeSabre
Guess I've been trying not to notice my dash. It's now popped up from the center all the way left of the steering wheel.

Gonna have to try something soon.

Pop's 2001

N.E. Ohio U.S.
Buick Ownership
2001 & 2004 Buick LeSabre Limited's
Very common problem with the 01-05 H-Body vehicles. It is best to remove the upper panel first so you can work on it.
(YouTube video on pad removal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0U3qsc0WCw4 ) If the vinyl is not shrunken back from the defroster panel too far, a heat gun can be used to warm the vinyl and stretch it towards the front of the panel. Clamp it in place until it cools. I used spring clamps from Home Depot which I already have. For adhesive, I used 3M Products Spray Trim Adhesive 08074 following the instructions on the can. Once cured, I drilled/riveted the vinyl through to the plastic panel where the vinyl rolls under the defroster panel (hides the rivets). Re-install.
It is somewhat time consuming but once finished, it shouldn't be an issue any longer. Hope this helps. :)

rmpb2004

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Hello, everyone! I am new to the forum but joined for this exact reason. The dashpad on my 2004 "buckled", i.e., pulled away from where it joins the windshield area from about the middle to the driver's window. At first I thought I could just push it back in, glue it, etc., and be done with it ... no can do. I took it to the dealer (Ray Buick, Chicago), who said it was probably out in the sun too long ... not the case ... besides I've had Buick's and other cars that have sat outside in the hot sun every day with no ill effects. I contacted Buick and they advised they have received no complaints. I believe the lip on the dashpad is too narrow and the glue used to secure failed. Interestingly we started looking for other LeSabre's in the 2004-2005 timeframe and found several with this exact issue ... so it is manufacturing related from and I believe we should, as a group, contact Buick to request assistance. The cost to replace the dashpad ... $1100. I'm a long time Buick owner and find the " you must have had it in the sun too long" excuse extremely disappointing and misleading. How do we go about something more formal with Buick ? Thank-you ! rmpb2004

HotZ28

Buick Ownership
1996 Roadmaster Limited Collectors Edition 58k - 1996 PAU
The cost to replace the dashpad ... $1100. I'm a long time Buick owner and find the " you must have had it in the sun too long" excuse extremely disappointing and misleading.
GM considers any thing out of warranty as a normal condition of age, wear & tear. I would not expect any resolution from any GM
dealer, or corporate help. Sorry!

dadymurano

Buick Ownership
Buick
Very common problem with the 01-05 H-Body vehicles. It is best to remove the upper panel first so you can work on it.
(YouTube video on pad removal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0U3qsc0WCw4 ) If the vinyl is not shrunken back from the defroster panel too far, a heat gun can be used to warm the vinyl and stretch it towards the front of the panel. Clamp it in place until it cools. I used spring clamps from Home Depot which I already have. For adhesive, I used 3M Products Spray Trim Adhesive 08074 following the instructions on the can. Once cured, I drilled/riveted the vinyl through to the plastic panel where the vinyl rolls under the defroster panel (hides the rivets). Re-install.
It is somewhat time consuming but once finished, it shouldn't be an issue any longer. Hope this helps. :)
This is what I did. I had so much shrinkage the rivets showed so I glued a piece of vinyl over the rivets. Mine was in very bad shape.P82A2112.jpgP82A2114.jpg

2003LesabreDriver

Buick Ownership
Buick
My 2003 did the exact same thing. I used carb clean to wipe the underside and mating surface clean. Use 2 part JB weld and goop it between both surfaces. I then used a couple of 2x4's with a bungee as a lever. Tie the bungee to the tilt wheel and tip it down for slight pressure. Let it sit overnight and its done. Not 100% perfect but much, much better.IMG_8470.jpgIMG_8480.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

IMG_8478.jpgIMG_8473.jpg

Ultra Ego

St. Paul, MN
Buick Ownership
2003 Park Avenue Ultra, 2003 LeSabre Limited; Previous: 2003 LeSabre Custom; 1998 Park Avenue
Just finished the same project myself. Couldn't "restretch" the vinyl all the way, despite warming it up significantly, so I cleaned the surfaces of the dash support, and the underside of the vinyl. Then I used gorilla glue, and short, flanged, self-tapping screws to hold the vinyl in place. It closed the gap nicely except in front of the gauges, but it looks significantly better.

In the gap, you can see some of the screw heads. I don't mind since I know the vinyl will not move. This is one project I do not want to have to do again.

Dougie

Buick Ownership
Buick
I had this problem and used a heat gun to flatten the worst of it out using a wet rag to protect everything nearby.. I should have protected the windshield too as another guy on the form did. I suppose if the heat were to get too high it could ignite the plastic or at least peel the exterior of it. After the heat I used velcro to pull it down, and lastly, I used grey polyethylene caulk to fill in the gap. The end result was ok, but problably would not have satisfied some of you. Nevertheless it doesn't look too bad.

G-492781

Hi I'm new here,just bought a Buick Lesabre (2004) Custom 69,400mi. I love this car even though for my age (36) people say it's a grandpa car,I think they just jealous personally haha but on to my issue. In buying the car I looked it over with a fine tooth comb,but OVERlooked the dash issue I have. It's not cracked just peeling up,a new one is outrageous I looked most no cheaper then 450.00-800.00 that's not happening. I don't really want a used one because the interior is spotless in this car was very well maintained. So in the picture I posted is this fixable? Or do I have to get a whole new dash pad? It isn't broken or cracked anywhere so I feel it can be fixed. Usually when broken you have other options in fill,paint etc but this looks as if the little bracket underneath broke free. I tried to press back in,but I don't actually want to crack the dash so I left it alone. I am in Baltimore,MD so if anybody 1st knows can this be repaired instead of replaced 2) Does anybody know if replacement is only way a place that re-creates or fixes etc. Basically just what my options are and cheapest if at all possible. Now that I notice it's raised higher then when I bought it,definitely is bothering me. Thanks for any help/advice and hopefully somebody I'm sure has a solution here,seems like a pretty knowledgeable bunch.

I just solved this problem .
I used 6 drill bit tip self taping screws 1/2" long with heads painted grey.
I used a foot long right angle drill extension to drive the screws into the dash top.
It was very east the screw glides through the dash top and grabs then pulls the material down and holds it there.
Looks good and will never move again.
DE1965

Pedal Commander