Torque Converter

MacGayver

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Silicon Valley, CA
Buick Ownership
2002 Buick LeSabre Limited
Subject: Torque Converter
RE: 2002 Buick LeSabre RPO L36, MN3, F83

Why not order a new torque converter? Ignoring the advice/comments of the forum. Ok. You were all correct about the pain and trouble. Did I listen? Nope!

Just an FYI for anyone thinking about rebuilding their 4T65E tranny or replacing torque converter. Buy a crate GM rebuilt tranny, have an ASE tranny shop put it in. You will be spending more money than the vehicle's value. Proceed with caution.
  • Having the tranny upgraded locally with Stage1 Red Deluxe Raybestos kit.
  • Ordered a new Torque Converter from Monster Transmissions. Yeah, these guys brag about all the commercials they have done and car shows.
  • Sent the GM specs, tranny info and custom requirements via email.
  • Salesman calls back, "what's the bolt diameter. number of splines...". Asked him to read line item on the order with the same info. Really, you can't read your own order? Next day, receive a call asking what is the number of splines. Sent the same email with their order containing the information. Silence for 3 days.
  • RCVD daily texts from engineering, tech review, build, quality control. Blah. Blah.
  • 1 week later. Guess what they sent? An old core return from a 2006 Saturn remanufactured by GOPNH from 12/28/2020 (the blue one). Are they serious?
  • Booked a flight to FL w/OEM converter & Saturn reject. Drop reject on salesman's desk Friday before closing. Nothing. Following monday get a call from salesman. What's this on my desk with caution tape all around it and a note from you? Uh. It's the Saturn core return you sent us. How did it get here? Look outside your office window & tell me what you see? Some guy in a SUV giving someone a bird & waving. That would be me. Smile.
  • They have until Monday 7/19 until I go back with the OEM converter and ask if they can read the order and the OEM pic of JZFM on the converter.
It's great to be old, crazy, disabled, a smart a_s, and have resources to pull off these stunts.

Attachments

• Buick_OEM_Torque_Converter_2_Monster-b.jpg
    Buick_OEM_Torque_Converter_2_Monster-b.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 4
  • Monster_Torques_COnvert_Bolt-Bolt_8inch.JPG
    Monster_Torques_COnvert_Bolt-Bolt_8inch.JPG
    396.3 KB · Views: 4
  • Pink_Tag_GC_Edit.jpg
    Pink_Tag_GC_Edit.jpg
    240.1 KB · Views: 4
  • Transparts_4T65E_Raybestos_Stage_1_Rebuild_Kit.png
    Transparts_4T65E_Raybestos_Stage_1_Rebuild_Kit.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 4

CorvairGeek

3.8L Member
The Gem State
Buick Ownership
1996, 92 Buick Century
Since I mostly satisfy these requirements too (old, crazy, disabled, a smart a_s), I get really 'impatient' after one or two missteps from vendors/businesses. Sometimes they just aren't worth the trouble.
I had not realized Monster Transmissions was located in "God's Waiting Room" aka Florida.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
Oh stop your whining, there's little children in India that don't get enough torque converters to eat and would be happy with any one even if it was used and for a completely different transmission. Apparently you are spoiled by actually ordering something correctly and expecting it to be accurate on the first time it's sent with no respect for all the logistic people who are being kept employed by the continuous replacement shipments of trying to get it right.

LOL

MacGayver

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Silicon Valley, CA
Buick Ownership
Oh stop your whining, there's little children in India that don't get enough torque converters to eat and would be happy with any one even if it was used and for a completely different transmission. Apparently you are spoiled by actually ordering something correctly and expecting it to be accurate on the first time it's sent with no respect for all the logistic people who are being kept employed by the continuous replacement shipments of trying to get it right.

LOL
Well said! Thanks. Yes, like keeping UPS, FedEx and USPS employed. But it's wasteful. A transmission shop salesman doesn't know what JZFM means and measures a flexplate pattern differently than GM. Hmm. That's ok. I have been polite except for the finger in window & caution tape on his desk. LOL.

MacGayver

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Silicon Valley, CA
Buick Ownership
Since I mostly satisfy these requirements too (old, crazy, disabled, a smart a_s), I get really 'impatient' after one or two missteps from vendors/businesses. Sometimes they just aren't worth the trouble.
I had not realized Monster Transmissions was located in "God's Waiting Room" aka Florida.
Not really impatient. I just like having fun and playing pranks. I told him I was coming and would do something crazy. I also know that the factory pictured on the web is photoshopped. The tranny place is a dive. I will see this through and get Grandmas darn LeSabre done before my dementia gets worse! Where am I? Who is this?

MacGayver

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Silicon Valley, CA
Buick Ownership
Notice I didn't call it FloriaDUH! FL was home for years along with many other places.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
Hopefully the face to face will get you the correct stall and convertor.

But somewhere a delivery person is weeping on not being able to do your multiple shipping exchanges, but fear not as the warehouse has just mixed up 7 more orders and the cycle of life continues.

Looking to update and upgrade your Buick luxury automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!
Get your turbo buick badge right here!
Protect your vehicle from code scanners