• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Tour-X USB Flash Drive Problems

Jerry H Swanson

Rockford, IL
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Tour-X
My new 2018 Regal Tour-X cannot read my flash drives, so I can't access the music on them. Other similar models at the dealership, Bachrodt, in Rockford, have the same problem, but GMC models read them just fine. According to a auto stereo repair shop it is a software problem, but Buick is not acknowledging that there is anything wrong. The dealer is trying, but so far no luck, Since there is no CD drive, I can't use any of my music. Is anyone else having the same problem? Jerry Swanson

e2m

Michigan
Is the drive formatted as FAT32? If so, try NTFS instead. Of course, back up your files first as the contents of the drive will be wiped when you reformat it.

Jerry H Swanson

Rockford, IL
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Tour-X
My bad. That is why I am trying to get Buick to solve the problem. A local audio shop says the problem is software with the audio system. That is why the car will play only a few of the roughly 50 albums on my drive. I think this is a royal PIA.

e2m

Michigan
That is why the car will play only a few of the roughly 50 albums on my drive.
So, this is different from what you stated in OP:
Jerry H Swanson said:
My new 2018 Regal Tour-X cannot read my flash drives
So, which statement is correct?

If the car does not recognize/see the flash drive, then it may be a drive format issue, in which case you should try reformatting it to something else, such as NTFS, for example.

If the car does recognize/see the flash drive, but only sees some files on it but not others, then it's an audio format issue. Try using MP3 instead as it is usually the most widely supported portable audio format.

JORDANSILVERNAIL

HOUSTON, TX
Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal GS, 2014 Regal GS
I didn't realize people still used the USB drives for music. I tried my damnedest to cling onto my CDs. But they are on their way out to join 8tracks and cassettes. Most folks use Spotify, Amazon music, or Google music to play music in new cars. It just makes more sense these days. I say get a smartphone that you can utilize a music app on, or if you have a smartphone, get a music app. All my music apps work great with the new Buick.

Rhetoric

SUPPORTING MEMBER
MPLS
Buick Ownership
Red Needle TourX
I didn't realize people still used the USB drives for music.
Folks that want to play higher bitrate files do. Streaming doesn't come close, even at the highest settings.

Personally, I have a DAT player I hook up through the 3.5mm jack in my console. Works flawlessly.

JORDANSILVERNAIL

HOUSTON, TX
Buick Ownership
I suppose that makes sense if you want a different level or clarity or you don't have unlimited data. thank Jesus for unlimited data plans and rock music. Less clarity just means extra distortion for extra rock'n and roll'n :LOL:

6APPEAL

Deep South
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal TourX 1987 Grand National
I use the Onkyo app on my phone via headphone jack. Allows me to play DSD/DSF files that the Infotainment system doesn't play. I was surprised that the Infotainment system played 192/24 FLAC files from USB. I need to try my phone via USB, which is one of the options in the Onkyo app. But in thinking about it that may not work since the Infotainment system may try to treat my phone as a disk drive which the owners manual states is not supported.

Red_X

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
I have a Pioneer player I can use for hi-res music or portable audio I can't stream from Pandora. Onkyo's app (HF Player) is nice too since it'll play hi-res files from your phone and you can EQ its output - it has a ridiculous 16,000-band equalizer. I'll have to try these out some time when I get my digital music collection straightened out.

bollox74

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
To the access point in the center console. I am using a SanDisk flash drive formatted as WMA from my Windows laptop.
I think your problem is in the WMA format, if you convert to MP3 you'll get better results. After a bunch of testing I made sure to use a better (free) converter so that song, album, title, artist indexing was completely transferred, this improved my music experience via a USB flash drive in the center console. Once I did my conversions I can find and navigate thru all 12 gigs of music on the 32g drive.

I used the free version of EZ CD audio converter

Last edited:

trflesher

Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal Sportback
I didn't realize people still used the USB drives for music. I tried my damnedest to cling onto my CDs. But they are on their way out to join 8tracks and cassettes. Most folks use Spotify, Amazon music, or Google music to play music in new cars. It just makes more sense these days. I say get a smartphone that you can utilize a music app on, or if you have a smartphone, get a music app. All my music apps work great with the new Buick.
Somewhat related ... I use my phone which has all my music stored directly on it (not streamed) and just do the Bluetooth Audio streaming / connection so I don't need to plug anything in .. but can NOT figure out how to get it to show the Album art. This worked fine on my older Buick LaCrosse and Buick Verano I had, but doesn't seem to come through in my Regal Sportback ... am I just being a noob and missing something?

Red_X

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
Somewhat related ... I use my phone which has all my music stored directly on it (not streamed) and just do the Bluetooth Audio streaming / connection so I don't need to plug anything in .. but can NOT figure out how to get it to show the Album art. This worked fine on my older Buick LaCrosse and Buick Verano I had, but doesn't seem to come through in my Regal Sportback ... am I just being a noob and missing something?
I wonder if the system is capable. I had a Subaru that gave me album/channel art on Sirius and I don't get that on my TourX...which leads me to believe GM didn't design the ability to display album art into this system. I think I get art for Pandora only because it's part of the app (and the app has to display ads).

JORDANSILVERNAIL

HOUSTON, TX
Buick Ownership
My red needle GS does not show album artwork. My 2014 GS and 2014 Cruze LTZ both displayed album art. I noticed immediately. However, it's not a huge deal for me.

Pedal Commander