• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Tourx fuel economy

Astrodog

I’m seriously contemplating buying a Tourx but I’m concerned about fuel economy. I’d appreciate it if some Tourx owners would post their real world experience with fuel economy both highway and mixed driving. Thanks.

NewTourX

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
City 23, highway 29. My combined average over the ~2500 miles I've driven it so far is around 25. This is on 91-93 octane.

Astrodog

Thanks for letting me know. That's a little disappointing. I really like the car and am now hooked on wagons after buying a used 2004 Mercedes C-Class wagon but the expected fuel economy is quite a but lower than what I get with my 2014 MKZ, which is not a small car. I may have to wait for the new Audi electrics coming out later this year.

NewTourX

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
Keep in mind that I'm not the most economical driver, either. I am sure you could squeeze another few mpg out of it with a lighter foot.

BrianCoasters

Buick Newbie
Greensboro, NC
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Preferred, Sport Red
I've averaged 30mpg on road trips, and I tend to drive about 9-10mph over the speed limit. I get about 20mpg in city mileage, but I step on it every now and then. It's about what I expect from an engine of this performance range.

Last edited:

Astrodog

City MPGs, I do run a little lower than 23. But that's very short drives also, to and from a train station.

My longer highway runs, it sits around 33. Not bad for a heavy little 2.0T
That’s pretty good. Thanks for responding

kmingis

Sustaining Member
RI
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX (Essence)
I've put about 5500 miles on my TourX since I bought it in May. My driving is prolly 80/20 highway/city (mainly 75-80 mph on the highway). I'm averaging 28.8 mpg. I can easily get low 30s in straight highway driving; city driving brings the average down.

Zeroboostbuick

S.W. Ontario Canada
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback - 2010 Yamaha R6 (track bike) Past cars: 92 LeSabre, 98 Regal, 02 GrandPrixGT
City MPGs, I do run a little lower than 23. But that's very short drives also, to and from a train station.

My longer highway runs, it sits around 33. Not bad for a heavy little 2.0T
My Sportback is about the same. But I don't baby the throttle. I get 9.8 L / 100km ( 23 mpg ) which is 90 % city driving. If I drove like most folks I would get better mileage.

I assume the TourX AWD should get around 22 in the city and closer to 30 on the highway.

I had a fairly modified 98 Regal 3800 V6 that got me 21.5 in the city and 30 on the highway. Then I had a 2002 Grand Prix 3.8 that was a little more thirsty than the Regal. I assume because it wasn't running as efficiently and had a higher final drive gear ratio. I miss that Regal.

Last edited:

Astrodog

I guess my expectations are a little high given that it’s AWD and the cargo capacity is very impressive. Are owners happy with it so far?

NormT

Turbo-4 power!
OH-IO
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
Those figures from Fuelly are not promising. Thanks for posting.
Very promising when a Subaru Outback 3.6R is only getting 22-24 in a slower performer and CVT. Remember these are real world num era provided by owners.

I can see a little over 30 mpg at 65 mph in a boxy Buick Envision 2.0T that weighs 4,000 lbs. A TourX could top out at 35 mpg or more with smaller frontal profile, lighteweight, and additional 3-speeds in the transmission.

gobluetwo

A Regular
IL
Buick Ownership
none
Given the AWD, size/weight, and power, it compares well against others in it's class. This is the price you pay primarily for the AWD, though. I assume that OP's MKZ is a 4 cylinder FWD version, while the 4 cyl AWD is rated very close to the TourX (maybe 1 mpg better) and every 6 cylinder MKZ is rated far worse than the TourX.

EPA figures:
TourX - 21 city / 29 highway / 24 combined
Outback 3.6R - 20 / 27 / 23
Volvo V90 CC - 22 / 29 / 25

Even the relatively tiny comparators don't do significantly better:
Audi Allroad - 22 / 30 / 25
VW Golf Alltrack - 22 / 30 / 25

The reality is that if you want a wagon these days, fuel economy ain't going to be great because they're trying to be like SUVs/CUVs

Astrodog

Given the AWD, size/weight, and power, it compares well against others in it's class. This is the price you pay primarily for the AWD, though. I assume that OP's MKZ is a 4 cylinder FWD version, while the 4 cyl AWD is rated very close to the TourX (maybe 1 mpg better) and every 6 cylinder MKZ is rated far worse than the TourX.

EPA figures:
TourX - 21 city / 29 highway / 24 combined
Outback 3.6R - 20 / 27 / 23
Volvo V90 CC - 22 / 29 / 25

Even the relatively tiny comparators don't do significantly better:
Audi Allroad - 22 / 30 / 25
VW Golf Alltrack - 22 / 30 / 25

The reality is that if you want a wagon these days, fuel economy ain't going to be great because they're trying to be like SUVs/CUVs
You’re right on all points.

Sparty

Michigan, USA
Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
I’m seriously contemplating buying a Tourx but I’m concerned about fuel economy. I’d appreciate it if some Tourx owners would post their real world experience with fuel economy both highway and mixed driving. Thanks.
I have about 3000 miles and just use regular gas. I have a history of having higher mileage than listed. That said, I am getting an overall average of 28mpg (commute is 50/50 highway/ surface streets) and
when I am out of the city and driving 2 lane country highways, I regularly see 35mpg. The car tells me I hit 39mpg once, but I’m not sure I believe that one. Going on a big road trip soon, so I plan on using that trip to confirm the higher numbers the car is giving me (I’m pretty confident about the mid-30’s based on the math in my head, but I want to Calculate it precisely).

BrianCoasters

Buick Newbie
Greensboro, NC
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Preferred, Sport Red
Thanks for letting me know. Are you Tourx owners happy with the car so far (fuel economy excluded)
Extremely happy. Only major flaw is auto start/stop and the fact that it can't be disabled. However, aftermarket solutions are in the works, so that'll be a non-issue soon enough. Otherwise this car has been the best bang for my buck in terms of new wagons available in the US.

Zeroboostbuick

S.W. Ontario Canada
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback - 2010 Yamaha R6 (track bike) Past cars: 92 LeSabre, 98 Regal, 02 GrandPrixGT
Start stop is not too bad. It's a smooth operation. If you don't want the car to shut off, just flip the gear shifter to the left into Manual / Sequential mode and once you resume driving flip it back into drive.

My start / stop also disengages when the AC in running.

Turbo Buick Badge