TourX have conventional cruise control? Questions on mid year changes.

DoUSail2

Buick Ownership
Her 2018 Regal TourX Essence, Frost, Convenience 1&2, S&S
First let me start with how I came to ask this questions. We were on a 3 hour trip driving in a freezing rain storm, roads were salted but the windshield was freezing up. Max defrost was not keeping up with the ice and the Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) cut out due to the ice. We looked in the manual for how to engage traditional cruise control and could not find anything. I was frustrated in having to do the trip without cruise. I couldn't believe you couldn't select zero for the gap setting. After the fact, I was looking through the "Getting to know your 2018 Regal TourX" pamphlet and found where it says you can hold the cruise Cancel button on the steering wheel and the ACC would switch between regular cruise and ACC. We tried that and it didn't work. Through other post we found we have one of the earlier builds of the TourX as it does not have the SD card slot next to the USB ports in the center console. So does anyone know if this is a shortcoming of the early build and is a feature of the later 2018 builds?

Secondly, does anyone know what month build incorporated the SD card slot and any other mid year Improvements?

Finally, I would like to understand all of the improvements made in the 2018 mid year change so that I could consider if any upgrades are worth doing. In my Pontiac G8 the 2008 had glove box lights but my 2009 didn't so I ordered the 2008 harness and light fixture for $38 and installed the glove box lights. I may consider upgrades if some of the changes are worth doing.

Last edited:

Rhetoric

SUPPORTING MEMBER
MPLS
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
First let me start with how I came to ask this questions. We were on a 3 hour trip driving in a freezing rain storm, roads were salted but the windshield was freezing up. Max defrost was not keeping up with the ice and the Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) cut out due to the ice. We looked in the manual for how to engage traditional cruise control and could not find anything. I was frustrated in having to do the trip without cruise. I couldn't believe you couldn't select zero for the gap setting. After the fact, I was looking through the "Getting to know your 2018 Regal TourX" pamphlet and found where it says you can hold the cruise Cancel button on the steering wheel and the ACC would switch between regular cruise and ACC. We tried that and it didn't work. Through other post we found we have one of the earlier builds of the TourX as it does not have the SD card slot next to the USB ports in the center console. So does anyone know if this is a shortcoming of the early build and is a feature of the later 2018 builds?

Secondly, does anyone know what month build incorporated the SD card slot and any other mid year Improvements?

Finally, I would like to understand all of the improvements made in the 2018 mid year change so that I could consider if any upgrades are worth doing. In my Pontiac G8 the 2008 had glove box lights but my 2009 didn't so I ordered the 2008 harness and light fixture for $38 and installed the glove box lights. I may consider upgrades if some of the changes are worth doing.
Not sure if it’s been fully verified, but the SD card slot seems to be for map updates. There is the potential that V1 of the UI can’t accept these updates through SD so putting that in would serve no purpose.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
Understanding your request for information and you may get bits and pieces, this has been asked before so you may want to check out the forum. But any updates on hardware and software are dependent on the vehicle that will be used in.

The assumption that someone has gone through a check box on when and what changes have happened, if it's a upgradable feature and what build it will work on is probably better asked at the dealer level or Buick directly with your VIN#. This may help in getting a more direct answer on your questions about your specific vehicle build information and looking at your RPO codes.

Some dealer may be helpful and knowledgeable, others not so much. Hopefully you can find one that can help or point you in the right direction.

SpencerK

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
Not sure if it’s been fully verified, but the SD card slot seems to be for map updates. There is the potential that V1 of the UI can’t accept these updates through SD so putting that in would serve no purpose.
SD card definitely plays music, I've got one loaded up and in the car right now.

Steve F.

Buick Ownership
Potential TourX owner
SD card definitely plays music, I've got one loaded up and in the car right now.
That's good to know, thanks. That’s the perfect way to store your music library- out of the way and always available. That’s the equivalent to what I have now in my 2008 Dodge which stores music on a hard drive (along with the map data) as part of the head unit. Part of the confusion is how these systems have evolved over the years. My car uses a hard drive system. My wife’s 2014 Ford has an SD card in the console, but it’s dedicated to the Nav system. To update the maps, you remove the old card and pop in a new one and, voila, you have updated maps. In her car, I believe the card must stay loaded in order for Nav to work.

toga94m

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
That's wierd. I have music on a USB drive, and my car has the nav SD card in the slot. My wife's Subaru Outback has a microSD on the radio headunit for nav, under a cover. Don't know why you'd need 2 USB slots AND an SD all for music, unless you're charging two phones on USB while listening to SD music. Good to know the music system will scan all sources, and the SD isn't dedicated to nav.

DoUSail2

Buick Ownership
So cars without the SD slot in the console, how do you upgrade their maps?
Is the card slot in a different location?
Also has anyone been able to get the conventional cruise control to work?

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX

On your G8 install of glove box light, how easy an install was it?
Do you have part number handy, and was that price MSRP?

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
2014 Regal 2.0 Turbo AWD Trifecta Tune
The Buick logo on the grille has the radar for the adaptive cruise, not the windshield mounted camera. As long as you keep the Buick logo clear of ice and snow the adaptive cruise will function.

justiz00

Buick Ownership
Tourx
I had the acc drop out the other day going in to work. May have been due to the frequency of acceleration and deceleration of the flow of traffic. The holding or pressing of the cancel button does not cycle to a normal cruise like the manual says. (Post update build).

DoUSail2

Buick Ownership
Has anyone been able to change from ACC to traditional cruise by holding the cancel cruise button.

SpencerK

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
That’s excellent! Which version of the UI do you have?
I have the updated UI, but I can't tell you which version. Well, I probably could, but I'd have to go outside and check, and I don't want to right now!

Rhetoric

SUPPORTING MEMBER
MPLS
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
I have the updated UI, but I can't tell you which version. Well, I probably could, but I'd have to go outside and check, and I don't want to right now!
That’s actually all I need to know! It seems that the newer UI cars got the SD card slot where the older UI cars got either one or two USB ports and a 3.5mm aux-in.

SpencerK

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
That’s actually all I need to know! It seems that the newer UI cars got the SD card slot where the older UI cars got either one or two USB ports and a 3.5mm aux-in.
Yes, that's my understanding as well. As you note, I have two USB ports and an SD card slot in the center console.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.