TourX "is neither designed nor intended to tow a trailer”

jcwCT

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Thread starter #1
I was ready to buy a loaded 2018 Smoked Pearl Metallic TourX Essence at my local Buick dealer last week when, browsing through the Owner's Manual, I read the following statement on pg. 258 in the section titled Trailer Towing:

“The vehicle is neither designed nor intended to tow a trailer.”

I checked, and that is not the case with the Opel, Vauxhall, or Holden "Country Tourers" -- their versions of virtually the same car. Those brands sell OEM hitches as accessories, and the quoted towing capacities range between 3,500 lbs. and 5,500 lbs. -- depending on the engine and transmission.

One thing that the TourX does not share with those other cars is the combination of the 2.0 litre LTG engine and 8 speed transmission. Maybe that's the root of the problem.

We tow a small sailboat during the summer as well as other occasional light loads. On the one hand, I doubt that kind of load would be a problem. OTOH, my dealer confirmed that, if there was an engine or transmission issue that could be traced back to towing with the vehicle, GM would likely deny paying any warranty claim. So I'm passing on the TourX and test driving an Outback 3.6r Touring this week.

BahamaTodd

3.8L Member
The TourX has the same 2.0T and 8 speed transmission as the Opel version. All AWD Regals with the 2.0T have the 8 speed. FWD 2.0T and V6 GS have the 9 speed. The Commodore in Australia only comes with the 9 speed for all 2.0T and V6 versions and has towing capacities ranging from 4000-4600 lbs.

So the vehicle is capable of towing, but GM chose not to rate it for towing in the US. Maybe if GM realizes how many sales they will lose out on, they will change their mind about the tow rating. I think a 2500 lbs rating similar to the Outback is more than reasonable.

davewg

A Regular
Buick Ownership
Buick
Not to mention if you tow with an unrated vehicle and have an accident your insurance company has grounds to not cover the claim.

Tow ratings is definitely a market by market thing even on the same vehicle.

If you need to tow the TourX isn't the right choice for the above reasons.

BrianCoasters

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Regal TourX Preferred, Sport Red
Have any of you tried hooking up a trailer yet? Specifically, I'm looking for the location of the plug for the trailer lights. The revised owner's manual doesn't point that out, unless I'm missing something.

fng

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Essence Frost White Tri-Coat
I suspect that since the wagon doesn't come with a hitch receiver, it isn't wired for trailer lights; you may have to install a powered controller and wiring along with the hitch receiver. Something like:

2018 Buick Regal Sportback Custom Fit Vehicle Wiring - Tekonsha

I'm putting a Hidden Hitch receiver on my Sportback so I can use a cargo basket for things (rototiller, tow-behind lawn aerator, etc.) I don't want to put inside the car. I ordered this wiring controller so I can have lights on the basket if the cargo obscures the car's taillights. If anyone knows that the wiring for a trailer already exists, please let me know.

TurboLover

Buick Ownership
2011 Regal Turbo (T03) - 6 sp manual & 2013 Verano Turbo
Glad to see they added a tow rating but 1000 lbs is still disappointing. A Ford Escape will tow 3500 lbs. I really like to the Tour X but that would be a deal breaker for me.

Zeroboostbuick

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback - 2010 Yamaha R6 (track bike) Past cars: 92 LeSabre, 98 Regal, 02 GrandPrixGT
Have any of you tried hooking up a trailer yet? Specifically, I'm looking for the location of the plug for the trailer lights. The revised owner's manual doesn't point that out, unless I'm missing something.
Usually the hitch cable is within the spare tire compartment. But I have not checked yet so I could be wrong.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.