• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

TourX Pricing and Resale

Elvis_Presley

Buick Ownership
Not yet
Hi, I just joined. I was planning to buy a Volvo Wagon for my next vehicle but found out about the TourX. The prices are really low. You can get a 2019 Essence for 27K. They must not be selling well. It looks like there are still new 2018's for sale. It makes me wonder if it will be really hard to sell in 8 years are so. What do you think?

jclin4

Buick Ownership
2019 TourX Essence
You could take the difference in price between the Volvo wagon and TourX and invest it. In 8 years you would end up with more than any difference in resale value, if any, between the two cars (assuming the Volvo will be worth more than the TourX, but it could be the other way around). I wouldn't use resale value as a deciding factor.

PrincipalDan

Gallup, NM
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
I bought it to have a good time driving it. Period, end of story.

The bonus is being able to carry all of my family's crap when called upon to do so.

And all of that for much cheaper than a 3 series BMW or a Volvo.

If I was worried about resale I'd have bought a Wrangler or a Tacoma.

Regal LTD Coupe

Buick Ownership
1993 Buick Regal Limited coupe 3800 (1991 Cadillac Fleetwood coupe 4.9 & 1990 Lincoln LSC SE 5.0 HO)

The bonus is being able to carry all of my family's crap when called upon to do so.

I was referring to the Camry.

mike69440

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence

Number one is value for the money.
The TourX fits my needs because in no particular order:
It is comfortable, quiet, practical, all-wheel drive, very stylish, roomy, decent to drive, competent good handling, peppier than average, a great cruiser on the highway with decent hi-way MPG, as well as being well featured and optioned.
Not perfect by any means, but I believe I will not have many chances to buy a new car this nice at this price often, if ever.
TourX is unpopular now. Heck, there are more new model Lamborghini's than TourX's, so I could add rarity to the above list.
The TourX parts availability, other than body parts and unique items to the TourX, should not be an issue, as it is cobbled together from mass produced parts used in other vehicles.
It would be nice to say one of the reasons I purchased a TourX was for resale, but let's be real.
However, if Buick drops only 30% in the first year, you just might to be able to sell less than you paid for it!
1572797653024.png
PS: I got my 2018 TourX @ Howard Bentley

Last edited:

RTPH

Hi, I just joined. I was planning to buy a Volvo Wagon for my next vehicle but found out about the TourX. The prices are really low. You can get a 2019 Essence for 27K. They must not be selling well. It looks like there are still new 2018's for sale. It makes me wonder if it will be really hard to sell in 8 years are so. What do you think?
Buick cars have significant depreciation, around 30%, in the first year. Buick is subsidizing this depreciation on their 2019 models still sitting on their dealer lots. So, they are selling "used" cars at used car prices, but with a full factory warranty. As far as how hard they will be to sell, that all depends on how much you want to sell for. How much would you pay for any 8 year old Buick? Maybe 20% of original MSRP?

Hinky

Buick Ownership
Regal Tourx
If your concern is money, the Buick is money ahead even if you put it in a garbage can when you're done with it.
The resale value will be terrible, but the difference in resale value between the Buick and the Volvo V90 after several years will not be $20,000, which is what the difference is right now. The V60 is much smaller than the Buick and it still costs so much more that the resale won't make up for it.

The apples to apples comparison would mean splurging for the AWD Volvo too. If you buy the AWD V90 you STILL have a slightly smaller car that cost soooo much more money it's sickening.

Last edited:

Mcgriff72

Buick Ownership
2018 regal tourx
I didn't purchase my 2018(red needle, smoked pearl, ebony, loaded except pano roof) with any thought of resale in mind. It simply fit my needs at a reasonable price. Nothing came close to comparing for the $31k I paid for it. Maybe there is some truth to TourX buyers being the most affluent of all Buick customers. Wealth is attained most easily through thriftiness. Good luck in your search. I doubt you'll be disappointed if you join the TourX club.

greenne

Albany, NY
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal TourX
Buick cars have significant depreciation, around 30%, in the first year. Buick is subsidizing this depreciation on their 2019 models still sitting on their dealer lots. So, they are selling "used" cars at used car prices, but with a full factory warranty. As far as how hard they will be to sell, that all depends on how much you want to sell for. How much would you pay for any 8 year old Buick? Maybe 20% of original MSRP?
I gonna disagree with your statement "they are selling "used" cars at used car prices". No they aren't. Used cars..even when driven gently have some wear on them--engine, transimission, brakes, knobs and switches, etc. Things wear out. A new car(even if it has been sitting) will not have the same wear and tear as a car that has been driven. It may have some lot rot..I get that..but it is not the same as a "used car" with a warranty.

This is not to say they equate to a new car fresh from the factory, but they are not the same(not should we expect the same price) as a gently used car.

FWIW..I don't think the problem with TourX sales have to do with the cars..it is 99% to do with mismanagement, bad dealer practices, and $0 advertising/marketing. Its like GM is not even trying to sell the damn thing...

RTPH

I gonna disagree with your statement "they are selling "used" cars at used car prices". No they aren't. Used cars..even when driven gently have some wear on them--engine, transimission, brakes, knobs and switches, etc. Things wear out. A new car(even if it has been sitting) will not have the same wear and tear as a car that has been driven. It may have some lot rot..I get that..but it is not the same as a "used car" with a warranty.

This is not to say they equate to a new car fresh from the factory, but they are not the same(not should we expect the same price) as a gently used car.

FWIW..I don't think the problem with TourX sales have to do with the cars..it is 99% to do with mismanagement, bad dealer practices, and $0 advertising/marketing. Its like GM is not even trying to sell the damn thing...
I was trying to say everything you just said by adding the quotation marks around the word "used". They are only used in the sense that they will be a year older than the 2020's that are about to be sitting next to them on the lot and Buick is taking that into account with the significant price breaks.

FishOhio

Central Ohio
Buick Ownership
2018.5 Regal Tourx Essence White Frost Tricoat
I test drove a few XC 90's (2016 and 2017). Interestingly one had the light interior and the wear and tear was already showing on the light steering wheel and seats. The Infotainment screen looks great but it is also slow to boot up and finicky. No way I would buy one new. I removed the XC 90 from my consideration because I don't need a 3 row SUV, and my prior Volvo experience.

I inherited a 1998 S90 many many years ago and that thing was a tank but toward the end of its time with us we were spending $300 - $400 a month in repairs at a local Volvo independent mechanic. Volvo's last so long because the owners end up replacing every part :D I sold it on Craigslist for $3,000 (due to radiator actively leaking, sunroof frozen shut, heated seats not working) to a local retired guy looking to replace a S90 that was totaled. I still see it around town a few times a year.

greenne

Albany, NY
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal TourX
I have a 1999 v70 xc(cross country). It is a tank. Volvos are nice..but can get expensive to maintain. It has sentimental value, I'm going to keep it until something major breaks--it'll be my snow car...hopefully avoid driving the new tourX in the snow for a season or two.

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
2014 Regal 2.0 Turbo AWD Trifecta Tune
I imagine that any new car that has been sitting on the lot for a year or so has been test driven quite a bit. Because of this it's possible that some if the interior pieces do show wear on them, so in essence the new car is actually a used car in that aspect.

I bought my Regal used with 15,000 miles on it, but it looked like a new car plus I saved $20,000 from the original sticker price. Even though I could have bought a new Regal that had thousands of dollars in discounts from the sticker price, I chose to go with the used one since it was in almost new condition and I walked away with a lower payment than a new one would have cost.

Kybuck83

Orange County, CA
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal TourX Essence
I imagine that any new car that has been sitting on the lot for a year or so has been test driven quite a bit.
My TourX had been at the dealer for around 6 months, and had a total of 16 miles on it when I started the test drive. We also filled the tank before the drive, so it's possible it hadn't been test driven yet. It was up to 27 miles when I signed the paperwork after the test drive.

Not necessarily the case for all TourXs, but they seem to be a car that people specifically seek out, not something the average person test drives because they see it on the lot.

Pedal Commander