• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

TourX Road Noise

bilbobaggins

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
How much road noise have y'all noticed riding around in your wagons?

When I got the car I was impressed by how quiet it was to ride around in. Now that I've had the car for awhile though I've had a few people comment on how much road noise you hear while going down the road.

I'm coming from a Ford Fiesta which didn't seem to have any insulation at all so you heard literally everything so I might not be a good judge as to what other people think is excessive xD

mike69440

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence
There is some road noise even wit the "conti-silent" tires. In addition, there are a few resonant, exhaust and driveshaft noises, and some weird mechanical electrical motor noises , sound like the fuel pump. Otherwise it is a quiet. Body structure may contribute to the resonant, exhaust and driveshaft noises. All in all quieter than most car, so you pick up on the other stuff more as it is not drowned out.

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
I don't have mine yet but wagons in general are louder than sedans due to the opening to the rear cargo area. In my last wagon I had a performance exhaust and at certain speeds there was a drone. But all the time the rumble was present. This exhaust seems quiet but you could be hearing more noise coming from the rear than some are used to.

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
I had early Conti's, not the foamed silent version. But when went to 255 45 ZR 18 General tires it made giant difference.
Pretty sure quieter then OEM tires but was so happy with difference between touring AS tire and ultra high perfomance AS tire.... so was not paying much attention to road noise.

Loodle

Buick Ownership
Tourx
Noticed something today, sort of a low rumbling when accelerating gently while cruising around 70mph. If I really pushed the pedal I didn't hear it, or if I took my foot off gas. Seemed to maybe coming from exhaust area? It was weird, need to try and replicate tomorrow.

abryancortez

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal tour X Essence
How much road noise have y'all noticed riding around in your wagons?

When I got the car I was impressed by how quiet it was to ride around in. Now that I've had the car for awhile though I've had a few people comment on how much road noise you hear while going down the road.

I'm coming from a Ford Fiesta which didn't seem to have any insulation at all so you heard literally everything so I might not be a good judge as to what other people think is excessive xD
Did you take your car in to have it check. I had some noise and they took a look at my car and fixed the noise problem I had.

ntorch

Blandon, PA
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
I think road noise in this car is very minimal compared to other cars I've owned. Mine didn't come with the Conti-Silent tires, just regular Continentals and they are fairly low on noise.

What I do notice is how much wind noise comes from the sun roof in just the tilt up position, much more than I've experienced in other cars. With the roof entirely open it's about average wind noise.

Pacer69

Sustaining Member
KC
Buick Ownership
TourX
Mine is library quiet, a whole lot quieter than my RDX was. And that car was fairly quiet. If you have an early build, there's a chance you may not have the Conti Silent tires as mentioned. But sometimes people get something in their heads, and it becomes pronounced. Exaggerated, even. Think The Tell Tale Heart by Edgar Allan Poe. You're not hearing a heartbeat, are you?

As a writer, it is my sworn duty to infuse literary references every now and then, LOL.

OTOH, your tires may need balancing or some other adjustment as well. I'd take her in and have her checked out at the dealer.

mike69440

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence
Mine is library quiet, a whole lot quieter than my RDX was. And that car was fairly quiet. If you have an early build, there's a chance you may not have the Conti Silent tires as mentioned. But sometimes people get something in their heads, and it becomes pronounced. Exaggerated, even. Think The Tell Tale Heart by Edgar Allan Poe. You're not hearing a heartbeat, are you?

As a writer, it is my sworn duty to infuse literary references every now and then, LOL.

OTOH, your tires may need balancing or some other adjustment as well. I'd take her in and have her checked out at the dealer.
Being both OCD and somewhat deaf, I think that our TourX is generally quiet, with some road noise, exhaust resonance, drive-train noise, transmission wine and some other mechanical noise, like fuel pump, turbo, some tiny rattles, etc, just remind you you are not in a bank vault.
If they were major, I would be fixating on them, but they are not. I'm really pleased that it is as smooth and quiet as it is. Remember how little you paid for the TourX and GM had a hand in it's development. If it were a Maybach, I'd be disappointed.

liuby33

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal GS
A friend of mine who had a Q5 commended my car being quiet although not necessarily more so than the Q5. I guess anyone driving a BBA or lexus will probably end up with a quieter car.

toga94m

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
Noticed something today, sort of a low rumbling when accelerating gently while cruising around 70mph. If I really pushed the pedal I didn't hear it, or if I took my foot off gas. Seemed to maybe coming from exhaust area? It was weird, need to try and replicate tomorrow.
Probably just the engine lugging (delivering power at low RPM). When you push harder, it shifts so the engine can speed up for more power, and the low-frequency rumble goes away. Lower frequencies are felt thru the body more than high frequencies which are mostly heard thru the ears.

JohnMC2010

Farmington Hills, MI
Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal TourX Preferred
Mine is relatively quiet, but for whatever reason it seems like the road noise coming off of my winter tires light up the cabin with noise.
I had the same winter tires on my 2014 Regal Sedan, and only noticed a slight increase in road noise.
Perhaps the ContiSilent tires really do help?

Ctrcbob

Buick Ownership
Regal Tour-X
I think road noise in this car is very minimal compared to other cars I've owned. Mine didn't come with the Conti-Silent tires, just regular Continentals and they are fairly low on noise.

What I do notice is how much wind noise comes from the sun roof in just the tilt up position, much more than I've experienced in other cars. With the roof entirely open it's about average wind noise.
Mine does NOT have the
Conti-Silent tires either. No Pano Roof. Car is quiet.

danpritts

Ann Arbor, MI
Buick Ownership
2018 tourx
My 2018 is quiet and pleasant on blacktop roads, but concrete interstates are absolutely terrible. I believe I have the contisilent tires - they say "TPC Spec". Milled concrete is not as bad, but still much worse than tarmac.

Tires at spec pressure according to TPMS.

Essence trim, no pano roof.

I just got back from a 1200 mile road trip and I'm about to buy new tires. Anyone who drives on concrete roads have any recommendations?

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
255 45 ZR 18 General GMax AS 05 Ultra High Performance All Seasons, ride so much better then OE tires.

fng

Delaware Ohio
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Essence Frost White Tri-Coat
I believe I have the contisilent tires - they say "TPC Spec".
It was publicized by various magazines and websites that early-production AWD cars would not have the Conti-Silent tires, which have "Conti" then a speaker symbol with symbolic sound waves then "Silent" in the sidewall. If you don't have that, your car was built before they put ContiSilents on AWD cars.

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
It was publicized by various magazines and websites that early-production AWD cars would not have the Conti-Silent tires, which have "Conti" then a speaker symbol with symbolic sound waves then "Silent" in the sidewall. If you don't have that, your car was built before they put ComtiSilents on AWD cars.
Yeah no foam in my conti's I removed...sounds like foam can come loose and cause good I mean bad vibrations.

Last edited: