TourX Roof Rack

Thread starter #1

Bimmer

3.8L Member
Humboldt County, CA; or Germany
Buick Ownership
Not yet...
Hi all,

I'm buying a TourX this summer, to replace our old Outback...

We're going to need a roof rack, and soon.

I've seen the accessories on Buick's website, but there doesn't seem to be any way to actually order them.

I can use Thule's European sites to look at options for the un-rebadged Opel.

Other ideas?

Thread starter #5

Bimmer

3.8L Member
Buick Ownership
Not yet...
You'll hurt your fuel ecomomy.

Yeah, I know, and the tree-huggers who drive around every day with their empty crossbars in place (or better yet, an empty cargo basket) make me shake my head...

And they whistle, too.

But when I need more cargo capacity a couple times a year, then some of it goes on the roof.

FWIW, a hitch is easy, and already available...

Thread starter #8

Bimmer

3.8L Member
Buick Ownership
Not yet...
I'm getting far on the mobile version.
Ah, good... I think those are the Thule cross bars.

Stupid question: Why are they 6" tall?!

Why can't they make/sell a set of cross bars that merely cross straight from one roof rail to the opposite one?

NormT

Turbo-4 power!
OHIO
Buick Ownership
Turbo Envision
The Regal TourX offers a panoramic roof unlike the Accord that offers a sun slot. The cross bars are raised to clear the sliding glass.

Thread starter #12

Bimmer

3.8L Member
Buick Ownership
Not yet...
AFAIK, they're all aftermarket... GM doesn't make roof racks, and I'm sure they're just re-branding some thing else.

I'm looking at these:

https://www.kupplung.de/dachtraeger-f-lli-menabo-tiger-136415-37807-2.html

Of course, I'd need to bring them back from Germany as a piece of luggage or something.

NormT

Turbo-4 power!
OHIO
Buick Ownership
Turbo Envision
My '08 Outback has a panoramic roof, and the crossbars run straight across, not 6" up in the air...

I understand that having stuff hit the glass would be bad, but I don't understand why the cross bars must be soooo high.
The Regal TourX has flush mounted rails where the Outback has raised rails. It is more design and Convience to have lower rails to the roof for looks and a lower lift height compared to the latest Outback that is really a cuv and not a wagon.

Attachments

Thread starter #16

Bimmer

3.8L Member
Buick Ownership
Not yet...
I guess I'm just kvetching, but I don't understand why any of these crossbars need to be so friggin' high.

I have an Outback like the one you pictured, and even there the crossbars are 5-6" above the roof. That's 3-4" more than necessary, and that's 3-4" further to reach to load/unload, 3-4" more aero drag, 3-4" less clearance under garage doors, and 3-4" worse center-of-gravity.

I'm getting a TourX with no sunroof, and I'm tempted to just strap a cargo bag to the roof and forget about crossbars and all that...

IL
Buick Ownership
none
Not related to the roof rack, but the roof itself. Wondering how it would look for the roof to be painted/covered with vinyl in black on a white TourX. Seeing an Evoq with the color scheme, and also some other cars, got me to thinking it would look nice on a TourX.

On topic, though, yeah - that roof rack is silly tall...

JohnMC2010

Farmington Hills, MI
Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal TourX Preferred
Hi everyone - I'd been messing around trying to find a roof rack that would work for my TourX.

As many of you know, the "Opel Insignia Country Tourer" and the "Vauxhaull Insignia Estate Country" are the sister car of the TourX in Germany and the UK respectively.

So, using my expert detective skills, I went to Thule's German website. I was able to find the Insignia Country Tourer. As I started to second guess myself, I looked up the part number of the Opel and the Buick, and guess what?? They're the same! Unfortunately, in the US, you must purchase Thule components from an authorized dealer, and not directly from Thule.

After a few exchanges via email with a Thule Customer service rep. and a trip to my local REI store (who were basically of no help whatsoever), I finally learned that there is a authorized dealer in the UK who will ship internationally. So, I went onto Roof racks, roof boxes, bike carriers, luggage bags and looked for the Vauxhall version. They have now been ordered. I'll let you guys all know when i get them in how everything works out!

Maybe Thule will give me a gift card for realizing that their product that already exists can be used on other vehicles that go under a different name!!

One thing worthy of note:
- I think that the bars and towers are exactly the same parts as what are sold here in the US, but they go under different trade names (i.e. WindBar 969 vs. AeroBlade 50", and Rapid System 753 vs. Rapid Podium)

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.