Tourx - the good and the bad

motoring

Buick Ownership
none yet
Let the Sun in...well besides waiting for a ‘cannot walk away from the deal discount price’ to happen I now have to consider if I can live with that full sunroof panel as there is an Essence I am looking at though sadly it has it on it. Not sure, such could be a deal breaker for me being it gets darn hot and sunny in Florida most of the year.

Wonder if anyone tinted one yet and if it helped what tint did they get and cost. Heck between tinting the windows in general plus a sun roof panel that could cost $800 maybe.

motoring

Buick Ownership
none yet
The one in the tourx is just a fabric shade material with pin holes in it. I believe I have seen other cars which use shades that offer more heat protection as I recall just cannot think of them at the moment.

BobsTourX

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
The one in the tourx is just a fabric shade material with pin holes in it. I believe I have seen other cars which use shades that offer more heat protection as I recall just cannot think of them at the moment.
Cadillac XTS I traded for the TourX had a shade that you would’ve thought was a regular liner.

Pacer69

Sustaining Member
KC
Buick Ownership
TourX
Yeah I also went sans roof for heat reasons and am fine with it. You could get ceramic tint — that is supposed to have better heat shielding. Spendy though, yeah.

mike69440

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence
Had a +125 mile ride as a passenger in a 2018 Rav4 XLE.
The Buick TourX Esssence I have has better overall ride, handing, power, smoothness and quietness than a Rav4. The Rav4 having a N/A engine and a decent CVT tranny seemed a bit more responsive, but that does not make up for its coarseness and less of oomph.
I checked that est out the door pricing favors the Rav4 by a thousand or so on Auto trader. Cost wise they are in same league.
2018 RAV4 is just so Fugly from front or rear, 2019's Rav4's are much cleaner.
The Rav4 had sunroof, very nice cloth interior, not leather.
All in all this is not meant to be an apples to apple comparison.
It was obvious to be Toyota cared and thought about little details, was not so cheap on the penny pinching on the interior.
GM just does not get it.
I have to admit the fake molded in stitching on the TourX says it all., especially that a Toyota dash can do real stitching, features and snap.
I've used a third of a 15 Oz jug of good leather conditioner on the seats, slowly bringing a hint of suppleness to the discount furniture store grade leather used. The leather keeps sucking it up.
No liners in the cup holders.
The better storage features on the Rav4.
The totally lame Teen Driver feature on the TourX.
Standard safety features on the Toyota's
etc.
All really nit picky things that keeps the TourX from being premium Luxury.
I guess it pisses me off that this very good wagon is so close to being great.
FCA got the message that best in segment interiors matters on their RAMS.

I am tickled pink to have been able to purchase my TourX at the price I paid.
At the time I really did not need another car, but figured I'd never be able to buy anything with tat much to offer at that price.
But GM cannot make a profit doing this.
Sales figures indicate the public will not pay close to MSRP for the TourX.
GM needs to do two things to sell their cars.
1. Get people to look and consider them.
2. Set the hook. Delight them so they want to buy the car at a price closer to MSRP.
GM might just make a profit.
Being in the car business got to be one of the most competitive markets there is.
Buyer expect maybe too much. As GM is not going to lower exclamations, they have to be better than most to succeed.

Rhetoric

SUPPORTING MEMBER
MPLS
Buick Ownership
Red Needle TourX
You have a lot to say about GM and their practices (which I don’t disagree with). Perhaps you should apply as the SVP of Marketing to help them get out of the shitter? ;-)

Pacer69

Sustaining Member
KC
Buick Ownership
TourX
You have a lot to say about GM and their practices (which I don’t disagree with). Perhaps you should apply as the SVP of Marketing to help them get out of the shitter? ;-)
That actually might be what it takes — a real customer to jar them into reality.

motoring

Buick Ownership
none yet
Come end of the month will have to do a deal or stop coming to this site lol.
So far game plan in this order is -
1. Get $10k or more off msrp... uncertain how that will play out.
2. Buy in state (hard to do for left over essence with driver 1 & 2 plus sight and sound
3. No black interior nor black car color
4. Drive out of State nor no sunroof...toss up
5. Settle for black interior
6. 'Settle' for Preferred

Last edited:

motoring

Buick Ownership
none yet
...Rav4 having a N/A engine and a decent CVT tranny seemed a bit more responsive, but that does not make upfor its coarseness and less of oomph...
Seems 2019 rav4 has the same issues. Thu maybe the 2019 rav4 hybrid will be the sweet spot. That wont hit dealer until April one figures.

Indeed my friends that went for a ride in the tourx were not impressed with the dash nor disappearing front end from behind the wheel of the tourx

mike69440

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence
...Rav4 having a N/A engine and a decent CVT tranny seemed a bit more responsive, but that does not make upfor its coarseness and less of oomph...
Seems 2019 rav4 has the same issues. Thu maybe the 2019 rav4 hybrid will be the sweet spot. That wont hit dealer until April one figures.

Indeed my friends that went for a ride in the TourX were not impressed with the dash nor disappearing front end from behind the wheel of the TourX
About 15 years ago, was the last time I was in a Rav4. At that time it was like a Suzuki Samurai. Cute & crude. 2018 Rav4 has come a long way, but it is still kind of unrefined like my Forester. Rav4 may me a little better than my 2014 Forester, but not much. The Forester is more meh than terrible.
I am thinking the 2019 Rav4 hybrid will sell very well.
GM dropped in Volt after sinking billions to built it. I'd have repackaged it. I tend not to toss out useful stuff.
The nice thing that I can say about our TourX is the more I drive it the more I like it, and be accepting of it's shortcoming.
I could really use an air lift suspension for another 2" to 2.5" of lift on our mud track of a town road. If road gets much squishier, the TourX will be laying on its belly. all those unused buttons on the center console?
Mud, I should purchase a Car Wash.

Pacer69

Sustaining Member
KC
Buick Ownership
TourX
About 15 years ago, was the last time I was in a Rav4. At that time it was like a Suzuki Samurai. Cute & crude. 2018 Rav4 has come a long way, but it is still kind of unrefined like my Forester. Rav4 may me a little better than my 2014 Forester, but not much. The Forester is more meh than terrible.
I am thinking the 2019 Rav4 hybrid will sell very well.
GM dropped in Volt after sinking billions to built it. I'd have repackaged it. I tend not to toss out useful stuff.
The nice thing that I can say about our TourX is the more I drive it the more I like it, and be accepting of it's shortcoming.
I could really use an air lift suspension for another 2" to 2.5" of lift on our mud track of a town road. If road gets much squishier, the TourX will be laying on its belly. all those unused buttons on the center console?
Mud, I should purchase a Car Wash.
Yeah the 47 unused buttons are really silly especially when you own the top of the line vehicle, Essence, with all packages.

I also found dropping the Volt odd; I find that GM is in a weird place with their identity and marketing for a few of their brands. I think GMC marketing is currently very clear and well done (esp "A little bit country/a little bit rock n roll TV spots). Can't say the same for Caddy and Buick. Can't comment on Chevy as I haven't seen any of their marketing in a long while. I think a lot of it is unfortunately a result of being such a large company...right hand doesn't know what the left is doing, etc.

Regarding the Rav: Buddy of mine just bought a '19 Rav. It's a nice vehicle, reminds me a LOT of a Subie CrossTrek. Same profile, just bigger. "Honey, I blew up the CrossTrek." I think both are nice vehicles, and I shopped the CrossTrek a bit before I got my TourX, but not the Rav. Rav has a better interior than Subie for my taste, only b/c it's bigger. Rav has terrific use of space -- there are all kinds of places to put your phone and whatever else, all across the dash. GM dropped the ball on that particular item. I think our TourX UI is better for the computer stuff, but Rav has better HVAC knobs and sightlines for those. My buddy's Rav is a lot louder on the highway than my TourX, though. Overall, it's a solid vehicle at about the same msrp as TourX.

Last edited:

motoring

Buick Ownership
none yet
Ok, got an offer of $10,200 off msrp for essence package 1& 2 with site and sound.
Someone tell me the older 2018 UI is ‘good’ enough and I would in time deal/like that older ugly speedo cluster...sorry thought I did not type that out loud.

SweetWafer

Sustaining Member
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
Indeed my friends that went for a ride in the tourx were not impressed with the dash nor disappearing front end from behind the wheel of the tourx
I really like long hoods on a car. Both looking over it as a driver and the side profile. I agree, however, there's a lot of front fascia on the Regal that can't be seen from the driver's seat.

After six months with the car, I'm still not comfortable with where the front of the car actually is. I really wish they had not cheapened out and gave us front parking sensors. Given how long the car is and how huge its turning radius is, it really makes maneuvers in tight spaces more frustrating than they should be.

Rhetoric

SUPPORTING MEMBER
MPLS
Buick Ownership
Red Needle TourX
Ok, got an offer of $10,200 off msrp for essence package 1& 2 with site and sound.
Someone tell me the older 2018 UI is ‘good’ enough and I would in time deal/like that older ugly speedo cluster...sorry thought I did not type that out loud.
It is. It’s really grown on me. After looking at the new setup it just looks bland. The old UI has some design flair in the cluster.

Buschb

Buick Ownership
Tour X

I have a preferred with black interior no pano-roof w/ the old UI.

I don't think I "settled" for squat. Hell, I came out ahead IMO!!

I like the looks of the old UI better any hoot!!

mike69440

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence
Let the Sun in...well besides waiting for a ‘cannot walk away from the deal discount price’ to happen I now have to consider if I can live with that full sunroof panel as there is an Essence I am looking at though sadly it has it on it. Not sure, such could be a deal breaker for me being it gets darn hot and sunny in Florida most of the year.

Wonder if anyone tinted one yet and if it helped what tint did they get and cost. Heck between tinting the windows in general plus a sun roof panel that could cost $800 maybe.
I can only speak for myself, I would be regretting not getting my TourX Essence.
Yes I would love to have an AMG 6.3 wagon, or even a one off TourX built to my specifications but that not going to happen. My TourX did happen.

IanMitch

Buick Ownership
1979 LeSabre, 2010 Enclave, 2018 TourX

I'll defend the old UI. I think it looks better, and mine works flawlessly - unlike many of the refreshes. Granted the new one will be fixed in time.