• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Tourx - the good and the bad

89quattro

Buick Ownership
2018.5 TourX
Ok, got an offer of $10,200 off msrp for essence package 1& 2 with site and sound.
Someone tell me the older 2018 UI is ‘good’ enough and I would in time deal/like that older ugly speedo cluster...sorry thought I did not type that out loud.
My OCD would't allow me to purchase a specimen with the original UI...too reminiscent of beater Malibu's at airport car rental establishments. Another factor was the fact that I didn't want to spend the $$$ on a vehicle that's been sitting unmoved and unloved in the dealers back lot for over a year.
Just my opinion, YMMV.
Regardless, I'm sure you will enjoy the ride!

mike69440

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence
My OCD would't allow me to purchase a specimen with the original UI...too reminiscent of beater Malibu's at airport car rental establishments. Another factor was the fact that I didn't want to spend the $$$ on a vehicle that's been sitting unmoved and unloved in the dealers back lot for over a year.
Just my opinion, YMMV.
Regardless, I'm sure you will enjoy the ride!
$10,200 off msrp. OK, but not great. You can find much better. I sure did. Low ball them: say $13,200 off MSRP .
Settle for $12,000 off. or go out of state, Better cahnce of finding what you want.
PM me I can provide reference for transport.
PS in 2006 I picked up a 1-1/2 year old (sold as new) leftover for almost 1/2 off MSRP. It was an F150 XLT
Our new F-150 we got near $13,500 off MSRP. Out the door, not counting trade.

printf

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
None, currently shopping/researching
After six months with the car, I'm still not comfortable with where the front of the car actually is. I really wish they had not cheapened out and gave us front parking sensors. Given how long the car is and how huge its turning radius is, it really makes maneuvers in tight spaces more frustrating than they should be.
That's a bummer. Is the GS the only one in the 2018+ Regal series with front parking sensors?

benkel579

Buick Newbie
Iowa
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
After six months with the car, I'm still not comfortable with where the front of the car actually is. I really wish they had not cheapened out and gave us front parking sensors. Given how long the car is and how huge its turning radius is, it really makes maneuvers in tight spaces more frustrating than they should be.
Coming from a 2010 Lacrosse, which had a hood that swooped down so low in front that you couldn't actually see any of the front end out of the windshield, the amount of hood I can see on the TourX seems like an acreage.

Pacer69

Sustaining Member
KC
Buick Ownership
TourX
I think $10k off msrp for a new TourX with all those options is a great deal. Anything above that is pure gravy, even another $200. I don't subscribe to the "put the screws on" mentality, I just think it's not a good way to do business. If they are offering $13k off like we've seen in some auto site listings, well, fine. I know we all think differently on this, but I wouldn't pass up $10k + off — and didn't. :cool: YMMV.

mike69440

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence
I must be getting old. After five months of ownership, I see NO PROBLEMS with the size, shape or slope of the hood.

I assume you guys actually drove the car before you purchased.
I more or less agree. I am tall enough to have a sight-line, but still have to estimate where the front of the car is. This has not been an issue. Shorter people would have a more difficult time judging where the front of the car is.

mike69440

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence
I think $10k off msrp for a new TourX with all those options is a great deal. Anything above that is pure gravy, even another $200. I don't subscribe to the "put the screws on" mentality, I just think it's not a good way to do business. If they are offering $13k off like we've seen in some auto site listings, well, fine. I know we all think differently on this, but I wouldn't pass up $10k + off — and didn't. :cool: YMMV.
When I bought my car I gave a dealer in Vermont, the lowest prices in New England a fair shot. I was polite, but the price down south was still more than $3K less. There was no hard feelings. A dealer can refuse to sell and the buyer can decline the price. It is a transaction, nothing personal.

JoeBlog

Buick Newbie
Wichita
Buick Ownership
1967 Wildcat Convertible, 2019 Regal TourX Essence
I got my 2019 TourX Essence (Driver Confidence 1 & 2, Sight and Sound, no pano roof) with absolutely no hassle, and close to $11,300 off MSRP. When they factored in the “March Madness” discount, dealer incentives and a military discount, I saved enough to buy a lifetime wrap warranty and still get in under my budget. I traded a 2018 Chevy Colorado Z-71 Crew Cab in on it, and I smile every time I start this car. It’s a ball to drive, and I get a kick out of people trying to figure out what it is - I’ve never seen one in the wild here (Wichita), and by the way it gets attention, nobody else has either. GM sure did a lousy job of marketing this car.

motoring

Buick Ownership
none yet
It is slim picking for left over 2018 Essence models in florida and due to me trading in two cars, well car and truck, it is double hard to make it worth the drive out of State to do a deal I feel. Sweet for those that got $12k plus off msrp though florida dealers don’t discount to that amount I would say.

Jack GS

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Metro Detroit
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal GS
I don't have a TourX, but considering we share much of the same interior... One of my biggest gripes is that the door and dash trim by the pillar does not line up.

Hopefully not many others have as poor fitment as mine does. The picture actually makes it look better than it is in reality.

The good, I personally don't mind some of the harder plastics and faux stitching. They should be more durable over time!

BobsTourX

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
When I bought my car I gave a dealer in Vermont, the lowest prices in New England a fair shot. I was polite, but the price down south was still more than $3K less. There was no hard feelings. A dealer can refuse to sell and the buyer can decline the price. It is a transaction, nothing personal.
You would've had fun negotiating in China...right attitude :)

ksujgg

Overland Park, KS
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal GS
I don't have a TourX, but considering we share much of the same interior... One of my biggest gripes is that the door and dash trim by the pillar does not line up.

Hopefully not many others have as poor fitment as mine does. The picture actually makes it look better than it is in reality.

View attachment 14572

The good, I personally don't mind some of the harder plastics and faux stitching. They should be more durable over time!
Mine looks the same, and it's not just the pillar. The seam runs all the way down below the vent. Then there's the "channel" running the length of the windshield. It's like they're computer model was off 3/8".

mike69440

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence
Mine looks the same, and it's not just the pillar. The seam runs all the way down below the vent. Then there's the "channel" running the length of the windshield. It's like they're computer model was off 3/8".
It is more likely someone said, "Turn up the injection molding machine, we can increase production, whadda mean warped parts, they come out the same mold?" Then this guy got a raise. A week later GM laid him off.
Fortunately my interior more or less fits together OK.

Last edited:

ntorch

Blandon, PA
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
My trim looks about the same as the pic above. My glove box door also sags a bit on the right side, but you really can't notice it unless you have the drivers door open.

I traded my 2016 Rav4 XLE AWD in for this TourX. It didn't have a CVT transmission--I don't believe any RAV4's do, even the new 2019. I always felt the RAV4 engine was weak--ie no grunt. Around town it was fine, but as soon as I got it on the highway at speed it was loud, had no punch and it was an effort to keep the speed up with my driving style.

The interior trim fit and tactile feel were better in the Toyota than the TourX--that is inexcusable in my mind. As I've lived with the TourX now for 5 months, the basic GM software, navigation, weather, traffic etc. worked better and current weather and current traffic were FREE in the Toyota. The GM software is cludgy at times --sometimes my seat memory doesn't remember me, sometimes the center small display gets confused and the automatic dimming mirror doesn't always dim for some reason, blinding me. And having to pay extra monthly fees for OnStar so I can get traffic and weather updates is irritating but not fault of the car, more GM.

mike69440

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence
My trim looks about the same as the pic above. My glove box door also sags a bit on the right side, but you really can't notice it unless you have the drivers door open.

I traded my 2016 Rav4 XLE AWD in for this TourX. It didn't have a CVT transmission--I don't believe any RAV4's do, even the new 2019. I always felt the RAV4 engine was weak--ie no grunt. Around town it was fine, but as soon as I got it on the highway at speed it was loud, had no punch and it was an effort to keep the speed up with my driving style.

The interior trim fit and tactile feel were better in the Toyota than the TourX--that is inexcusable in my mind. As I've lived with the TourX now for 5 months, the basic GM software, navigation, weather, traffic etc. worked better and current weather and current traffic were FREE in the Toyota. The GM software is cludgy at times --sometimes my seat memory doesn't remember me, sometimes the center small display gets confused and the automatic dimming mirror doesn't always dim for some reason, blinding me. And having to pay extra monthly fees for OnStar so I can get traffic and weather updates is irritating but not fault of the car, more GM.
CVT?, My error only the hybrid,
"The interior trim fit and tactile feel were better in the Toyota than the TourX "
Toyota interior gets a solid "B", good, not the best,
Buick, "B-" , teacher wrote, "could do better"

Last edited:

Pacer69

Sustaining Member
KC
Buick Ownership
TourX
The channel - you're speaking of the major gap at top of outside of windshield, yes? Mine has that too; I noticed it last time I washed her (wiped a bead of grime off the top edge of ws that should've been covered with a rubber trim piece or recessed into roof) and half-wondered if it would spring a leak b/c it's nowhere near flush to the roof. OOPS.

Zaxer

MKE
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
Actively shopping for a new TourX to replace my BMW 328i x-drive sedan (f30). I do like the TourX much more than expected. A few disappointments:
  • “common feature” option packages are non existent - (eg “cold weather” or “driver convenience”). I would prefer heated cloth seats, not an entire essence trim level.
  • The ride height is silly - it’s really not high enough for an off-road utility car (albeit upper Midwest roads at this time of year are the pits!) but the extra height isn’t optimum for responsiveness on the road where it spends most, if not all, of its time for the majority of consumers
  • The cladding...um, that horse is dead and fortunately can be removed (ok - so it’s not Pontiac 1988 Grand Am bad - but still...)
  • The transmission seemed indecisive on deceleration and down shifts (where I noticed it the most anyways)
  • Finding non-ebony interiors is more challenging (personally tired of the all black look - even two tone contrasts would help) and the plastics could be a little nicer
The “likes”:
  • It’s really quiet for a long roof - how much sound insulation is packed in here?
  • It’s a very good looking car - and isn’t seen at every stoplight.
  • At current incentives, it’s a bargain. I was looking at a 2-year old CPO 328i sport wagon with 30k miles and would have to shell out at least $4k more for similarly equipped (and as an experienced BMW owner, I don’t find the f30 as one of their better chassis).
  • Repair and maintenance will be more reasonable than what I’m used to (ok that’s an assumption on my part)
I’m in the final stretch of securing a new TourX for the garage - and I’m happy for it. It will fun to watch my friends react to “no seriously, I bought a Buick”.

Last edited:

mike69440

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence
Actively shopping for a new TourX to replace my BMW 328i x-drive sedan (f30). I do like the TourX much more than expected. A few disappointments:
  • “common feature” option packages are non existent - (eg “cold weather” or “driver convenience”). I would prefer heated cloth seats, not an entire essence trim level.
  • The ride height is silly - it’s really not high enough for an off-road utility car (albeit upper Midwest roads at this time of year are the pits!) but the extra height isn’t optimum for responsiveness on the road where it spends most, if not all, of its time for the majority of consumers
  • The cladding...um, that horse is dead and fortunately can be removed (ok - so it’s not Pontiac 1988 Grand Am bad - but still...)
  • The transmission seemed indecisive on deceleration and down shifts (where I noticed it the most anyways)
  • Finding non-ebony interiors is more challenging (personally tired of the all black look - even two tone contrasts would help) and the plastics could be a little nicer
The “likes”:
  • It’s really quiet for a long roof - how much sound insulation is packed in here?
  • It’s a very good looking car - and isn’t seen at every stoplight.
  • At current incentives, it’s a bargain. I was looking at a 2-year old CPO 328i sport wagon with 30k miles and would have to shell out at least $4k more for similarly equipped (and as an experienced BMW owner, I don’t find the f30 as one of their better chassis).
  • Repair and maintenance will be more reasonable than what I’m used to (ok that’s an assumption on my part)
I’m in the final stretch of securing a new TourX for the garage - and I’m happy for it. It will fun to watch my friends react to “no seriously, I bought a Buick”.
Debadged Liftgate?
See Post #34 for some ideas.
I just noticed the gap at the top windshield. I doubt it is a problem that a garden hose will not solve. I could get some neoprene foam core sealed skin gasket about 8mm diameter to fill in the gap. I can do some research at work if anyone is interested to check on availability.
Fit and finish on mine is pretty good. Only mismatch I noticed is the drivers side door gap is too narrow and close to the rear door.
I think the front fender would have to come off to adjust.
All in all it is built like a Toyota on a Friday or a Monday, A lot of cars are worse.

Pedal Commander