Tourx - the good and the bad

Pacer69

Sustaining Member
KC
Buick Ownership
TourX
@mike69440 I'd be interested in taking a look at what you find on the gasket stuff. I looked at my dash and body panels, all seam (ha) to be good.

@Zaxer you make good points; one thought for you on the heated cloth would be to find the model you want and just have the seats recovered with that - with incentives you'll still come out ahead on the brand new car deal vs others.

I read my first auto mag review (C&D and an unfair and spiteful screed) on TourX a year ago. I bought into it not having driven or even seen one. Saw a Jalopnik article in December that basically said if you're even remotely interested in TourX you should take a another look. I test drove a few and found TourX pretty freakin' cool, fun and responsive. I love that nobody else has them, although like so many of us it would be nice to see more than one around here so it doesn't die an untimely death! But I've got mine so I can live with that.

This is my first new GM purchase. Enjoy seeing the surprise on people's faces when I answer, "YEAH, IT'S A BUICK!" I bought it because of the value equation. No way can I get a new car with all TourX offers, plus the cool/rare factor, this affordably. Just no way.

The car is quick if you know how to access that (IMO 91 octane and be intentional when you want to fly). I tried the autostick the first time a few days ago (bought 2/1/19) and found it fun. Enjoying the excellent mpg vs my '07 RDX, even when I get on it.

• I also marvel at the quiet...if I'm on the phone, even on the interstate, people are shocked to learn I'm in the car. You may have noticed those little "speaker ports" under the interior roof-mounted exit handles...I suspect that's where the noise-canceling also comes into play.

• Clad: looking at new Subies, they've gone all-in (um, almost Grand Am) and many other utility-type vehicles have too. Versus my alternatives, TourX cladding doesn't stick in my craw in Smoked Pearl Metallic. And yeah, at least we can remove it.

• I only need enough ride height to make it to the trailhead (wife and I hike in to camp, I don't climb boulders or surf gullies) so that'll be fine; and as you said it also helps with the road handling characteristics. Low ride height also good for dog ingress/egress.

• Pleasantly surprised at how sticky/quiet the stock tires are; someone mentioned putting more aggressive max performance tires on and "imagine how well it will handle" and yeah that'll make it even more fun. Maybe not as quiet though!

• Interior meets my needs well. I agree shale isn't that easy to find, I think a lot were recently bought up by people grabbing the deals. Good news is your dealer can trade for what you want; there was an '18 Smoked Pearl Essence recently here at Brogden in KC with roof, I, II, S&S, in shale. Might have your name on it. I've taken a few fly and buy trips to obtain a car (S2000) and it's fun, plus you get a head-start on the break-in mileage.

• Computer and HVAC controls are a nice improvement over my RDX. Turn a knob for temp instead of hunting down buttons or waiting for voice interface. GM does a very nice job with their computer too, everything is logical and easy.
Keep us posted on your acquisition and enjoy the ride!

P.S. if you like music, get the Bose. I find it much richer than the stock system.

Last edited:

Pacer69

Sustaining Member
KC
Buick Ownership
TourX
@Zaxer

Re Maintenance Expenses - my Buick dealer here has a 6-pack of full syn [GM Dexos] oil change for just $72. Tech told me the TourX will actually be a bit less than that. Acura Dealers and all-car shops around here charge $45-$70 for one full syn oil change.

Last edited:

motoring

Buick Ownership
none yet
Cubbies...that was what my friend pointed out today as we took many plants from her sons house to her place in the ridgeline. We stopped at the Buick dealer on the way home though sales guy had 3 customers he was working with thus no tourx ride with her today. Though she did ask me to look at the front seats of the ridgeline as we stood by the truck looking at the driver side window. She felt it had tons of space to set things. Seems she noticed the lack of space in the tourx even without sitting inside of it.
Course tourx is a sweet sport wagon none the else.

Jack GS

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Metro Detroit
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal GS
Cubbies...that was what my friend pointed out today as we took many plants from her sons house to her place in the ridgeline. We stopped at the Buick dealer on the way home though sales guy had 3 customers he was working with thus no tourx ride with her today. Though she did ask me to look at the front seats of the ridgeline as we stood by the truck looking at the driver side window. She felt it had tons of space to set things. Seems she noticed the lack of space in the tourx even without sitting inside of it.
Course tourx is a sweet sport wagon none the else.
So that's a positive right? Less places for people to put their junk and other nonsense 😉

mike69440

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence
@mike69440 I'd be interested in taking a look at what you find on the gasket stuff. I looked at my dash and body panels, all seam (ha) to be good.
https://www.canalrubber.com/Full Round Closed Cell Neoprene Sponge Cord
5/16 should fit, install with screen door screen frame roller installation tool. You should be able to find them at hardware stores.

motoring

Buick Ownership
none yet
So that's a positive right? Less places for people to put their junk and other nonsense 😉
sort of true, check a miata mx5 there is truely ‘no room’ to put anything to speak of and Porsche likewise feels u r in it to drive not look at stuff in cubbies.
sadly, i do carry a bit of things with me when driving

NormT

Turbo-4 power!
OH-IO
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
The transmission has PAL(performance algorithm logic) that adjusts for your driving style. .a test drive will it adjust to your style as it is too brief.

Rhetoric

SUPPORTING MEMBER
MPLS
Buick Ownership
Red Needle TourX
The transmission has PAL(performance algorithm logic) that adjusts for your driving style. .a test drive will it adjust to your style as it is too brief.
I will say the logic of mine has improved after putting 5k miles on the car. It still lugs, but far less than it did when it was new.

Zaxer

MKE
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
Not trying to hijack and make this all about me - but thanks for all the feedback.

@NormT: Thank you. The transmission tech is particularly noteworthy - unfortunately I’m in stop & go traffic M-F (like many of us) and I was wondering if my initial experience would get annoying (first world problems).

@Pacer69: That’s a solid deal on oil changes! my BMW is around $80 if I were to go the stealership. I won’t change out the seats - too much hassle and I would rather spend my money on other things. Again, current incentives make the step up to essence a very easy decision. I note your comment about octane - do you run”mid grade” and then “turn it to 11” with “premium grade”? Nice grab on the s2000 - AP1 or AP2?

Zaxer

MKE
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
...also just a random note: it appears the 2018's with shale interiors use the shale color in the rear cargo bay whereas the 2019's use a more practical black (ebony)...

Gary N

Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal TourX
My 2 cents... I'm a bit disappointed with the features that are already engineered and available for sister versions of the car but not available on the Buick version. Things like the cooled seats, HUD, Auto-Stop disable switch come to mind.

Pacer69

Sustaining Member
KC
Buick Ownership
TourX
Not trying to hijack and make this all about me - but thanks for all the feedback.

@NormT: Thank you. The transmission tech is particularly noteworthy - unfortunately I’m in stop & go traffic M-F (like many of us) and I was wondering if my initial experience would get annoying (first world problems).

@Pacer69: That’s a solid deal on oil changes! my BMW is around $80 if I were to go the stealership. I won’t change out the seats - too much hassle and I would rather spend my money on other things. Again, current incentives make the step up to essence a very easy decision. I note your comment about octane - do you run”mid grade” and then “turn it to 11” with “premium grade”? Nice grab on the s2000 - AP1 or AP2?
I've been running 91 with what I consider great mpg/performance but for a tank of 87 that I bought during that bitter cold the first weekend of March. The 87 gave me problems - crappy mileage and crappier acceleration. I'm thinking it could've just been a very poor quality, although it was bought at a chain. I'm going to try some 89 next, evaluate, and then try 87 if 89 shows no issues.

I noticed diminished performance in my RDX with 87.

Thanks - I only put 91 ethanol-free in my AP1. Only the best for my baby!

Good observation on the shale in '18 v. '19 - that was one of the reasons I chose black for my '18 actually. Another was I like the interior LEDs at night against the black interior, ha!

OCJohn

Disneyland
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
Tourx - the bad
My wife likes the TourX.
We share.
^ This.

We got the TourX to replace the 2014 Jetta Sportwagen TDI VW brought back. With the VW, my wife would swap and drive our Ford Excursion anytime I had the longer commute – usually a couple times a week. Not any more! She's since declared the Buick "her car" and to hell with fuel savings. I get to drive it when we're together but that's about it.

I really want one of my own.

mike69440

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence
@mike69440 I'd be interested in taking a look at what you find on the gasket stuff.
I can get 5/16" (8mm) foam core gasket that should fill in the gap at top of the windshield at work, but they actually want me to buy it vs. just give it to me! I bet filling in the gap will make TourX more aerodynamic too?
Send me a PM if interested.

Zaxer

MKE
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
Want to thank everyone again for the thoughts and advice. Took delivery of a 2018 in rioja w/shale interior today. All the bells and whistles (Driver Confidence 1 & 2, sights and sounds, pano roof). Smooth ride, seats more comfy that what I’m used to, plenty of pep, Bluetooth works well. Wish it had head up display. I do think I will miss the motorized folding mirrors on my BMW - especially when I’m parked in the city. And the cargo cover makes a little vibration noise from time to time...but all are very minor points as I am lovin’ it.

mike69440

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence
Want to thank everyone again for the thoughts and advice. Took delivery of a 2018 in rioja w/shale interior today. All the bells and whistles (Driver Confidence 1 & 2, sights and sounds, pano roof). Smooth ride, seats more comfy that what I’m used to, plenty of pep, Bluetooth works well. Wish it had head up display. I do think I will miss the motorized folding mirrors on my BMW - especially when I’m parked in the city. And the cargo cover makes a little vibration noise from time to time...but all are very minor points as I am lovin’ it.
Me too every time I drive my TourX I feel the need to repeat myself.
TourX is a country estate. As such I really like it.

I could not recommend a TourX as a short distance commuter car in traffic and congestion, unless you are very patient and mellow, and don’t mind a car that is not nimble in traffic..

But if you live rural, suburbs and pack on the miles this is an enjoyable Ahhh! car. Plus, it is practical. There are other cars/SUV’s as comfortable or more so, but will either bore you to death, or if exciting will empty your pockets. Some will empty your pockets and put you to sleep.

Performance, the good.
Swift, Strong torquey motor, that pulls steady. Great highway cruiser, good fuel economy. Relaxed performance. Smooth transmission

Handling characteristics. The good.
Competent, Composed, confident, quiet, swift, neutral & steady, serene, secure, stable, smooth, responsive in a pleasant deliberate way, not sporty, or brutally fast, a bit numb, not tactile or immediate, not road sensitive or twitchy. Enjoyable, not thrilling. Buicky.

Handling characteristics. The bad.
Not a cut and thrust city car. So so turning radius. Not compact. Visibility just ok, poor sightlines It would not be a good car for another remake of the Italian Job.

Performance, the bad.
Laagy turbo off line, dull responding 8 speed transmission. A little non turbo CUV, etc with a good CVT and sharp throttle mapping would jump a TourX every time at a stoplight, so if that is your thing, do not consider the Regal.
I bet with a heavy foot the Regal LGT’s city fuel mileage is worse similar to a V8 pick-up.

For me the TourX really works

benkel579

Buick Newbie
Iowa
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
Me too every time I drive my TourX I feel the need to repeat myself.
TourX is a country estate. As such I really like it.

I could not recommend a TourX as a short distance commuter car in traffic and congestion, unless you are very patient and mellow, and don’t mind a car that is not nimble in traffic..

But if you live rural, suburbs and pack on the miles this is an enjoyable Ahhh! car. Plus, it is practical. There are other cars/SUV’s as comfortable or more so, but will either bore you to death, or if exciting will empty your pockets. Some will empty your pockets and put you to sleep.

Performance, the good.
Swift, Strong torquey motor, that pulls steady. Great highway cruiser, good fuel economy. Relaxed performance. Smooth transmission

Handling characteristics. The good.
Competent, Composed, confident, quiet, swift, neutral & steady, serene, secure, stable, smooth, responsive in a pleasant deliberate way, not sporty, or brutally fast, a bit numb, not tactile or immediate, not road sensitive or twitchy. Enjoyable, not thrilling. Buicky.

Handling characteristics. The bad.
Not a cut and thrust city car. So so turning radius. Not compact. Visibility just ok, poor sightlines It would not be a good car for another remake of the Italian Job.

Performance, the bad.
Laagy turbo off line, dull responding 8 speed transmission. A little non turbo CUV, etc with a good CVT and sharp throttle mapping would jump a TourX every time at a stoplight, so if that is your thing, do not consider the Regal.
I bet with a heavy foot the Regal LGT’s city fuel mileage is worse similar to a V8 pick-up.

For me the TourX really works
For the initial break in period, the TourX is definitely laggy. The more I drive it, though, the more I think that's just the initial transmission programming. The software adapts pretty quickly to aggressive driving once you get through the first 500 miles.

There might be a CUV out there that could out-pull a TourX off the line once broken in, but I doubt it. (FWIW, mine outran a mid-00s S60 R off the line just this week; it's definitely no slouch.)

Rhetoric

SUPPORTING MEMBER
MPLS
Buick Ownership
Red Needle TourX
For the initial break in period, the TourX is definitely laggy. The more I drive it, though, the more I think that's just the initial transmission programming. The software adapts pretty quickly to aggressive driving once you get through the first 500 miles.

There might be a CUV out there that could out-pull a TourX off the line once broken in, but I doubt it. (FWIW, mine outran a mid-00s S60 R off the line just this week; it's definitely no slouch.)
I’ll second that. The transmission in mine seems to react better than it did when new.

However, it could also be me that has adjusted to how the transmission behaves and know exactly what it takes for it to kick down.

mike69440

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence
I’ll second that. The transmission in mine seems to react better than it did when new.

However, it could also be me that has adjusted to how the transmission behaves and know exactly what it takes for it to kick down.
Yes, I can't figure either if I've adjusted or the transmission.has? I've done very little driving in congested stop and go driving and what little I've done the power delivery is laggy for a second then whoosh, but as far as power delivery on the roads, especially when passing the traany seems better than when it was new, I have just under 2,000 miles. I think I have adjusted also, knowing it takes a second to downshift and getting on the gas a bit early.
If you go down to the artificial hard spot in the accelerator travel, the car passes very smoothly with enough power and speed for an average overtake, without having to "floor" it.