• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

TourX very reluctant to start

The Invisible One

Today my car decided to take 10 or more seconds to start. I had just driven about 15 minutes, 6 miles, through town and had shut off the car at the store while shopping. When I got back in I hit the start button and it just cranked and cranked, for 10 or more seconds before it fired up. This is a new feature that hasn't happened before. It seemed that either there was a delay in turning on the injectors or spark, not sure which.

Since my local dealer is highly inept when it comes to repairs, I am going to just wait and see if it happens again before setting up an appointment.

Anyone else have an extended cranking event before the car starts?

toga94m

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
Not with the GM engine, but BMW sometimes has that happen when the camshaft or crankshaft sensor(s) don't read properly. The computer can't get synced up with engine component position, so it doesn't know when to fire. No idea if that's your problem though.

kmingis

RI
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX (Essence)
I’ve had this exact issue maybe 2-3 times since I got my TourX in May. After driving the car (to the gym), letting it sit (for about an hour), and then you go to start the car, and the engine just seemingly turns over and over and over. If it doesn’t catch pretty soon, I turn off the ignition and try again. Always starts up. A little disconcerting, but I assume it’s just an electronic glitch. Almost like it’s not getting any fuel... FWIW.

The Invisible One

kmingis - Ok, so I am not the only one. If I get any resolution from the dealer I will be sure to post for others that may have this experience as well. Appreciate the feedback. (y)

kmingis

RI
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX (Essence)
I would definitely be interested in any insights. I don’t think it’s a serious problem, but worth looking into....

Rhetoric

SUPPORTING MEMBER
MPLS
Buick Ownership
Red Needle TourX
I, too, have experienced this. It only happened once and it was under similar circumstances as described in this thread.

Interested in a diagnosis if there is any. I chalked it up to computer issues like mentioned above.

SweetWafer

Sustaining Member
Buick Ownership
2018.5 Regal TourX
This happened once to me a couple of months ago in a similar situation. Less than 15 min drive to lunch. An hour or so later, we got back in the car. I think the car started intially but then died immediately (almost seemed like a start/stop cycle.) Then I pressed the button again and it started after a really long crank. It has not happened since.

Ctrcbob

Buick Ownership
Regal Tour-X
Only happened once when engine cold. First start in the morning.

I'm not worried about it.

Ahhhh. Technology. 😱

reyman

Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal TourX
I saw it happen the other night when I remote started the car from inside the house. I reckon it took about 5 seconds to start...

washide

Stevensville, MI
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Tourx Essence, Smoked Pearl Metallic
Just to add on, this happened to me this evening. Went inside Lowe's for 30 minutes or so and when I did the remote start it cranked for several seconds before actually starting.

Buschb

Buick Ownership
Tour X
This just happened to me after 2 months of ownership. I drove around 10 miles earlier today.
The car sat for 4 hrs and when going to start took around 5 secs. It's 33 degrees.

Although, it has never happened when it was 0 degrees first thing in the morning.

Banto

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence - Dark Moon Blue, 2018 Regal TourX Essence - Rioja Red, 2009 Enclave CXL
Happened to my wife this morning for the first time. Car sat in the garage overnight and took about 10 seconds to start.

Anyone have repeat issues and take it to the dealer?

Ctrcbob

Buick Ownership
Regal Tour-X
I thought switching fuel from Shell to Mobil would help. Did not help. Tried giving it an "Italian Tune Up". Did not help. Now starting to do it after parking for a couple hours. Oh well, at least it starts.

Strange that both my 2015 and 2018 Sonata 2.0 Turbos start within one second. Usually within half a second.

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
2014 Regal 2.0 Turbo AWD Trifecta Tune
Since it seems to do this after the car has been driven, I'm assuming there's an issue with the warm starting circuit. Either it's a lack of fuel or it's getting too much fuel, with the latter causing a flooded condition. I have the same motor in my car and I have never had this happen, so more than likely it's a fuel system or engine control module issue that needs to be addressed by GM.

Ctrcbob

Buick Ownership
Regal Tour-X
I thought switching fuel from Shell to Mobil would help. Did not help. Tried giving it an "Italian Tune Up". Did not help. Now starting to do it after parking for a couple hours. Oh well, at least it starts.

Strange that both my 2015 and 2018 Sonata 2.0 Turbos start within one second. Usually within half a second.
Up to now, my Tour-X has only seen Shell (or Mobil) Premium fuel. A few days ago, I filled with about 8 gallons of Shell Regular fuel. For the past three mornings, car has started right up, within one of two seconds, not the five seconds like before. Car still runs great, even with 50/50 Premium/Regular.

Ctrcbob

Buick Ownership
Regal Tour-X
Up to now, my Tour-X has only seen Shell (or Mobil) Premium fuel. A few days ago, I filled with about 8 gallons of Shell Regular fuel. For the past three mornings, car has started right up, within one of two seconds, not the five seconds like before. Car still runs great, even with 50/50 Premium/Regular.
Now four mornings in a row it has started right up cold.

Think I will now alternate between Premium and Regular every other gill. (No, I'm not going to buy 89 at the pump but if it was 90, I'd think about it.)

jaywendy15

Buick Ownership
2918 buick regal sportback
I have 2018 regal. It did not do it when new. Just started about month ago. Took in dealership they replaced battery did not help. Took back they kept car overnight did all kind of test and said everything came back fine no issues. They heard it do it but no answers as of yet.

TourREX owner

Buick Ownership
2019 Buick TourX Essence
Thank you for your comments. I was referred here tonight. I have an almost new (less than 4k miles) 2019 TourX Essence that fails to start quickly about once a month since new. It can be after sitting over night or after only a couple hours. It ultimately does start but instead of about 2 cranks, it takes about 10 or so after I let off the start button after a quick depress and release. Happy Motoring.

FavaBean

DE
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
When it doesn't want to start immediately... are you hearing the small clunck a split-second after you press the start button?

In other words, are you hearing the fuel pump pressurize (when it's not starting correctly)?

Turbo Buick Badge