Towing behind a motorhome

Dean Mueller

Buick Ownership
2021 Encore GX
I am considering purchasing a 2021 Encore GX AWD Essence for the purposes of flat towing behind a motorhome. I know the owners manual states it can be done and how to do it.

There appear to be several 2021 Trailblazer AWD owners doing this. We like the Buick interior better than the Trailblazer.

I'd like to know if any of you has experience in doing this and if there is anything to be aware of prior to purchasing the GX.

Last edited:

Orion42

NH
Buick Ownership
2020 Encore GX, 2013 Enclave AWD, +many more
I bought my GX and then explored the option of towing all wheels down but if you get the option package with the front bumper sensors (parking assist, I believe), you can’t use a tow bar. If you get FWD, you can use a tow dolly.

Orion42

NH
Buick Ownership
2020 Encore GX, 2013 Enclave AWD, +many more
It says in your cited manual pages that AWD wheels down is OK...... below 70mph.

-Regal-

Series I 3800 member
Buick Ownership
1993 Buick Regal Limited coupe 3800
Yup, agree; any drive wheels can only be towed a minimum distance on the ground before damage will likely occur. For example, somebody towing a RWD vehicle with its drive wheels on the ground should remove the driveshaft before towing; any drive wheel must otherwise be in the air towing anything more than a short distance. You could always get a small trailer if you want an AWD vehicle behind your motorhome. This would be better in my opinion anyways as it's not wearing out extra tires, wheelbearings, suspension etc. (except on the trailer).

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
This site actually has a list of current and past vehicles of that are approved for a motorhome towing usage.

Dean Mueller

Buick Ownership
2021 Encore GX
Yup, agree; any drive wheels can only be towed a minimum distance on the ground before damage will likely occur. For example, somebody towing a RWD vehicle with its drive wheels on the ground should remove the driveshaft before towing; any drive wheel must otherwise be in the air towing anything more than a short distance. You could always get a small trailer if you want an AWD vehicle behind your motorhome. This would be better in my opinion anyways as it's not wearing out extra tires, wheelbearings, suspension etc. (except on the trailer).
I don't understand. The 2021 Buick Encore GX manual specifically states is it ok to flat tow the AWD model behind a motorhome. The information I'm getting from this group indicates that it is not possible to flat tow the AWD model, which is in direct contrast to the manual.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
That post isn't related to your question, the owners manual clearly says it can with limits on towing speed and proper set up.

Looking to update and upgrade your Buick luxury automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

DocBrown

Buick Ownership
2016 Encore Sport Touring
I don't understand. The 2021 Buick Encore GX manual specifically states is it ok to flat tow the AWD model behind a motorhome. The information I'm getting from this group indicates that it is not possible to flat tow the AWD model, which is in direct contrast to the manual.
I think that poster is citing his personal opinion more than hard data, more like "should it be done" as opposed to "can it be done and who is doing it". The manual says you can, follow the manual.

I'd recommend asking the question about others flat towing an Encore GX AWD on an RV message forum. You'll probably get more responses.

Jon De Freitas

Buick Ownership
ronjon0221
I am considering purchasing a 2021 Encore GX AWD Essence for the purposes of flat towing behind a motorhome. I know the owners manual states it can be done and how to do it.

There appear to be several 2021 Trailblazer AWD owners doing this. We like the Buick interior better than the Trailblazer.

I'd like to know if any of you has experience in doing this and if there is anything to be aware of prior to purchasing the GX.

Jon De Freitas

Buick Ownership
ronjon0221

Jon De Freitas

Buick Ownership
ronjon0221
Dean,
Did you end up purchasing the Buick Encore GX AWD? If so, how do you like it as a tow vehicle. We are condiering purchasing one as well. Thanks! Jon

Clohman

Buick Ownership
Encore GX
I do not understand why you can tow with all 4 down with GXAWD, but you cannot dolly it? Doesnt make sense.

DocBrown

Buick Ownership
2016 Encore Sport Touring
I do not understand why you can tow with all 4 down with GXAWD, but you cannot dolly it? Doesnt make sense.
Because it's AWD and you can't disengage the rear wheels from the driveline. No AWD car can be dolly towed.

G-851605

We bought one for that purpose also. Getting the tow package done on Tuesday to start towing. The dealership said it was towable, if not they will be hearing from me.

G-143062

Yes, I have seen that and am hoping to also hear from folks that used it as a tow vehicle. Thanks!
Manual and dealer as well as the towing charts showing towable cars, all state 1.3turbo AWD can be flat towed. I am towing mine behind a motorhome.

plasman

Buick Ownership
2021 encore gx
Manual and dealer as well as the towing charts showing towable cars, all state 1.3turbo AWD can be flat towed. I am towing mine behind a motorhome.
Following the instructions in the manual I put the car in ACC/Accessory and then shift to neutral?
I can't shift into neutral from park without the engine running?
Did you put into AWD and then leave in neutral when you turned your car off?

wrapped

Buick Ownership
21 encore gx
Following the instructions in the manual I put the car in ACC/Accessory and then shift to neutral?
I can't shift into neutral from park without the engine running?
Did you put into AWD and then leave in neutral when you turned your car off?
We are setting our gx for towing also baseplate is on backorder. I put it in park shut off engine push start button and hold,foot NOT on brake ,light turns green now shift to neutral. Let me now what brake system you use and how it tows,mine won't be ready for a while. We have the sport touring pkg and only 1 company makes a baseplate for it.