Towing behind a motorhome

bgneumann

Buick Ownership
2021 Encore GX AWD Essence
As per manual, I disconnect the negative battery terminal ..... follow the instructions, leave in AWD mode .... all is well, no problems & electronic settings do not change when activating the battery again.
Good luck.

wrapped

Buick Ownership
21 encore gx
I use a battery disconnect on positive cable and leave in 2 wheel drive, no problems 2 years and5 thousand miles. When first start up after towing dash information says lower drivers window then raise drivers window,don't know why but I do it and all is good.

Mcli759

Buick Ownership
Encore GX
Not sure if original post got all his questions answered ....

WE HAVE the 2021 Encore GX AWD Essence Model. Follow the manual, make sure vehicle is in AWD mode, confirm operation with dealer.
We have now towed it several times, including to Florida & back from Quebec. All is well. It has all the sensor & safety features; the proper baseplate does not interfere with anything. It was installed by a reputable hitch dealer.
I recall that back last year the baseplate for the Sport Touring model (that car had a red trim in front grille) may not be suitable; today I don't know. We don't have the sport model.
We find the Essence model excellent, peppy with the turbo, roomy with rear seats down, for 2 golf bags, lawn chairs electric walk golf cart, etc. This year we had a 2" rear hitch installed & plan to take our 2 bikes to Florida.
The only nuisance is the required disconnect of negative battery terminal ... tight space sine we also have electronic rustproofing attachement at battery. I simply unscrew the negative & place a plastic battery terminal cap over the negative. For the Brake Buddy Safety switch brake cable release we have a portable battery booster with separate connection in rear sear leg space (so GX battery remains disconnected). Investigated using a battery disconnect instead of manuly disconnecting / connecting before / after tow but decided it wasn't that inconvenient to manually disconnect battery. Just make sure you do all the operations, attach tow bar, install Brake Buddy claw to vehicle pedal, AWD tow mode, etc. that require vehicle battery. Remember that power door locks will not work with battery disconnected, but Buick FOB has a key & then one can open driver side to reach rear door lever as well, or to open Buick hood. It will take a learning curve but so does everything.

So far very happy with Buick 2021 Encore GX Essence.
Happy travels.
Help Flat Tow Question. I have a 21 encore Gx AWD. I followed the manual, I couldn’t shift to neutral with start button in Acc ( yellow light). If I hold the start button until light turns green then I can shift to neutral with foot on brake. However the steering wheel seems to be locked, I can’t turn it more then a couple inches. I have not disconnected the battery yet does that free up the steering? I want to make sure I can get it in neutral with Steering wheel freed up before getting baseplate installed. Thoughts

Mcli759

Buick Ownership
Encore GX
I use a battery disconnect on positive cable and leave in 2 wheel drive, no problems 2 years and5 thousand miles. When first start up after towing dash information says lower drivers window then raise drivers window,don't know why but I do it and all is good.
Help Flat Tow Question. I have a 21 encore Gx AWD. I followed the manual, I couldn’t shift to neutral with start button in Acc ( yellow light). If I hold the start button until light turns green then I can shift to neutral with foot on brake. However the steering wheel seems to be locked, I can’t turn it more then a couple inches. I have not disconnected the battery yet does that free up the steering? I want to make sure I can get it in neutral with Steering wheel freed up before getting baseplate installed. Thoughts

Mcli759

Buick Ownership
Encore GX

G-389729

With engine running put in neutral shut off engine.

Looking to update and upgrade your Buick luxury automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

Mcli759

Buick Ownership
Encore GX
With engine running put in neutral shut off engine.
Thanks. Do you flat tow behind a motorhome? If yes, what year is your Encore GX? AWD? Mine is a 2021 GX AWD and the owners manual is incorrect. Your way will work but doesn’t follow owners manual directions for “Recreational Towing”. That’s why I’m asking if you actually flat tow. Thanks again

G-54611

His directions are correct with engine running put in neutral and turn engine off. I've been flat towing a 21 encore gx awd for 2 years now and no problems. I installed baseplate, light wiring, battery disconnect and all related braking setup myself. Great car.

wrapped

Buick Ownership
21 encore gx
I've been towing my 21 encore gx for 2 years now and he is correct, with engine running shift to neutral shut off engine. If you read through these post all the information you need is here. Good luck and enjoy the gx makes a great toad.

Mcli759

Buick Ownership
Encore GX
I've been towing my 21 encore gx for 2 years now and he is correct, with engine running shift to neutral shut off engine. If you read through these post all the information you need is here. Good luck and enjoy the gx makes a great toad.
Thanks, great to hear from someone who is actually towing a 2021. Couple questions if you don’t mind. Any need to start the car during a long tow to lube transmission?I read where that is sometime necessary with some auto transmissions. Does the GX need to be in or out of AWD when you disconnect the battery and begin your tow? Thanks

G-488123

I tow in 2wh drive some do all wh drive no need to start only rule don't exceed 70mph. Read this thread from the beginning all the info you need is in here

wrapped

Buick Ownership
21 encore gx
No need to stop and run engine, don't exceed 70mph,ileave in 2wheel drive then disconnect battery. Please go to page 1 of this thread and read through, alot of information here. I've explained all the equipment I installed and also picture of front end with baseplate installed.

Mcli759

Buick Ownership
Encore GX
No need to stop and run engine, don't exceed 70mph,ileave in 2wheel drive then disconnect battery. Please go to page 1 of this thread and read through, alot of information here. I've explained all the equipment I installed and also picture of front end with baseplate installed.
Thank you Thank you. I read the entire thread start to finish. It’s amazing how a poorly written section of the manual could cause all this confusion and anxiety about towing the GX. Yet, Buick won’t come out with correct documentation to set things right. I also talked to Buick (Robert) he researched it and said to follow the 2022 manual directions for Recreational Towing. I requested an email to document what he is telling me and bingo “nothing” no email. They make the error and won’t document the solution. Crazy. Towing in AWD or FWD seems to not be an issue, logic tells me that once the car is in neutral and battery is disconnected it doesn’t matter. Neutral means no drive.
A couple more questions, our set up will be Blue Ox base plate (essence), Demco Duo Stay n Play under the hood brake system. Demco battery maintainer, Road Master battery disconnect. Question 1 - the steering wheel seems to be very difficult to turn manually when in tow mode. Also, I’m a little concerned with the wheel well battery disconnect button exposed to weather. I never thought about a lock out with the battery disconnected. If I install the button inside the vehicle instead of the wheel well, isn’t there a way to unlock a GX with a dead battery? This is a great thread you should go to work for Buick cleaning up their manual errors. Thanks again.

wrapped

Buick Ownership
21 encore gx
Ours follows fine no steering problems any car is hard to turn with engine off. Drove and towed in plenty of wet weather in last 2yrs and no problem with disconnect button that's why I put it towards top,inside towards front of wheelwell. Read owners manual about unlock drivers door with key.