Towing with 2019 Encore

Tim09

Buick Ownership
2019 Buick Encore
I realize the Encore is not rated for towing like the Enclave or Envision, but am wondering if it would be possible to affix a hitch to tow a 500-1,000 lbs teardrop or popup trailer (since the Encore's max payload is 1,018 lbs). I've found hitches like this one and this one online, which makes me think light towing of less than 1,000 lbs should be possible, but I don't know how significant the risks of damaging the vehicle would be, let alone how it may affect insurance or warranty. Apologies if there's something obvious I'm overlooking, I'm only really familiar with attaching bicycle and roof racks. Any help or advice much appreciated!

DocBrown

Buick Ownership
2016 Encore Sport Touring
They make hitches for vehicles like this to attach bike racks and cargo trays. Even if you find a teardrop trailer at less than 1000# what many people don't consider is wind drag. Even a tear drop trailer will have some drag. That's hard on that little transmission and hard on the engine's cooling system. You will likely dramatically shorten the life of the transmission. The other consideration is the weight of the trailer bouncing on the road and the strain that puts on the suspension in ways it was not designed for.

Again

Magnetic Hill, New-Brunswick, Canada
Buick Ownership
2016 Encore
Referencing to the Vauxall Mokka from Europe for towing is not recommended since those specs are tied to the diesel version and manual transmission.

poncho167

Buick Ownership
2019 Essence
Referencing to the Vauxall Mokka from Europe for towing is not recommended since those specs are tied to the diesel version and manual transmission.
From what I read it was all about trailer brakes though the diesel would make more sense.

bbebml

Buick Newbie
MI
Buick Ownership
2016 Buick Encore/1973 Buick Electra
I'm pretty sure if you install anything but the dealer supplied Bike Rack or Cargo tray accessories Buick has, you'll void your warranty most likely, in more ways than one. I'd have to look again to make sure, but I believe it says that in your owners manual. I have a 2016 that I bought brand new in 2017(one of the last ones dealer had on lot), and I was quite disappointed when I discovered that. I'd like to tow my Seadoo to the park about 2 miles away once in a while if my wife's Acadia isn't around.. I'm sure that wouldn't affect anything much but didn't want to risk it. After my warranty is up I'll be having one of those real hitches installed that fit this. They are available. I researched that when I bought this.
IMG_1920.jpeg

Last edited:

DocBrown

Buick Ownership
2016 Encore Sport Touring
I'm pretty sure if you install anything but the dealer supplied Bike Rack or Cargo tray accessories Buick has, you'll void your warranty most likely, in more ways than one. I'd have to look again to make sure, but I believe it says that in your owners manual. I have a 2016 that I bought brand new in 2017(one of the last ones dealer had on lot), and I was quite disappointed when I discovered that. I'd like to tow my Seadoo to the park about 2 miles away once in a while if my wife's Acadia isn't around.. I'm sure that wouldn't affect anything much but didn't want to risk it. After my warranty is up I'll be having one of those real hitches installed that fit this. They are available. I researched that when I bought this.
View attachment 25320

Installing an aftermarket non-Buick hitch does not void the warranty. That would violate the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. Towing, that's another issue. But just installing a hitch doesn't void any warranty.

So long as you aren't towing up big hills you should be fine towing that on occasion. I wouldn't do it regularly or over any distances. That little transmission can't handle any more than a couple of passengers.

Again

Magnetic Hill, New-Brunswick, Canada
Buick Ownership
2016 Encore
I may be wrong here but I believe that starting from 2018 GM has changed the rear unibody structure of the Trax and Encore so you can now tow up to 1000 pounds. I don't believe it was because of the transmission or braking capability.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!
Protect your vehicle from code scanners