Tpms faulty??

jdogjen

Buick Ownership
Encore sport
Hello all,
A quick question; on my 2016 encore sport my low tire pressure warning light just came on, in fact the diagram of the car telling me it was the front passenger side tire at 28psi. I stopped at my local gas station and went to fill it with 35psi only to find out it was already at 35. I checked the other tires and found them all good. Am I to believe I have a bad tpms sensor? Any help be greatly appreciated

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
While it could be going or is bad doing a TPMS reset may confirm one way or the other.

Again

Magnetic Hill, New-Brunswick, Canada
Buick Ownership
2016 Encore
TPMS sensors normally just fail, I've never had one read false pressure. I haven't lost one on the Encore yet but lost one on the Trax a couple of years ago. They typically last 6-7 years but can fail at any time.

jdogjen

Buick Ownership
Encore sport
I am not familiar with the tpms reset. Can someone explain?\

MelsRegal

Buick Ownership
Regal GS 2017
How did you determine you had 35 PSI in all the tires?
Do you own a digital or analog tire pressure gauge?
I would not rely on the accuracy of a gas station air pump.
Did you look in your owners manual for the TPMS reset?
The sensors have batteries in them and thus can fail over time.
The TPMS reset Is typically done when tires are rotated or snow tires are mounted or removed.

Again

Buick Ownership
2016 Encore
Very simple to reset tpms If you have this tool. This one works for GM and Ford. I got mine from ebay. You can get them cheaper from Ali Express but takes longer to get here.

imNaJ7I.jpg

First turn key to ignition "ON" and bring down driver's side window.

2020-06-25 17.13.19.jpg

Then press the menu button

menu.jpg

Then scroll to tpms

schroll.jpg 2020-06-25 17.14.51.jpg

Press and hold the set button.

2020-06-25 17.15.23.jpg

This menu will appear.

2020-06-25 17.15.45.jpg

Scroll to yes and press the set button again. This will put you in TPMS relearn mode. With the tool go to the front driver's side ( front marker light will be on ) and press start, hold tool close to valve until horn sounds once,

2020-06-25 17.49.41.jpg

Then the right front marker light will come on indicating you have to do that wheel next ending with driver's side rear wheel sounding the horn 3 times indicating all 4 TPMS have successfully reprogrammed.

Last edited:

Joester

Buick Ownership
2016 Encore
Front left TPMS in my '16 is reading faulty, confirmed by 2 different digital pressure gauges. It needs tires anyway so I'll probably replace all 4.
Confirmed pressure is 35PSI, reading is anywhere from about 28 - 31 PSI depending on temperature.

Again

Buick Ownership
2016 Encore
I got some from ebay at a good price. Stealer wanted $82 + tax for one. Got 4 for $50 delivered to my house.GM#13598772

Screenshot 2020-07-02 09.03.02.png

Well this is random went to the Mailbox and the ones I ordered for my daughter's Encore were delivered.

2020-07-02 09.02.30.jpg

2020-07-02 09.02.24.jpg

Last edited:

poncho167

Buick Ownership
2019 Essence
There also is an Encore TPMS reset feature on youtube which is not listed in the owners manual. It involves the horn beeping to indicate that the specific TPMS is recognized. This is for when you rotate the tires and want the tires to calibrate with the interior gauge display.

poncho167

Buick Ownership
2019 Essence
You still need a special tool as I explained earlier in this thread.
If it's a question about the TPMS sensor being recognized after a tire rotation, no tool is required to purchase as there is a procedure no listed in the owners manual.

poncho167

Buick Ownership
2019 Essence
I'd like to see that...

Key on
In menu, highlight tire pressure, hold the outer stalk button that would otherwise reset your trip.
Car horn will honk.
Start at driver front tire and add or remove air until horn honks.
Move to passenger front and repeat add or remove air until horn honks.
Move to passenger rear and repeat.
Then lastly, driver rear.
Horn will honk twice after passenger rear.
Key off then start engine.
Tires should have the correct orientation now as to where they are mounted versus what the display shows

poncho167

Buick Ownership
2019 Essence
I guess you didn't find the YouTube video! Did you try this yourself before putting it here on forum? This will not work on an Encore, Trax or Cruze. Might work on an older Silverado though.
No, I found it on another Encore site which the poster claimed it worked on his Encore.

BuickGirlFromMars

Buick Ownership
1999 Buick Park Avenue Ultra (Supercharged)
No, I found it on another Encore site which the poster claimed it worked on his Encore.
You can try it on my Park Avenue, if youd like.

No scan tool can reset my TPMS!

Again

Buick Ownership
2016 Encore
Okay, you can go back to that forum and tell them it doesn't work!
I know I had tried this before but I tried it again to prove a point. It doesn't work on an ENcore, Trax or Cruze. All I got was a flat tire, a low tire pressure warning and an email from OnStar.

2020-07-13 09.11.12.jpg

Screenshot 2020-07-13 09.48.29.png

Last edited:

BuickGirlFromMars

Buick Ownership
1999 Buick Park Avenue Ultra (Supercharged)
I was actually joking. I know it's in the DIC to reset as it doesn't use TPMS Sensors but instead wheel speed.

Also, some are burnt out, mostly on the right

Get your turbo buick badge right here!
Protect your vehicle from code scanners