• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

TPMS Match Tool + Process

Rhetoric

SUPPORTING MEMBER
MPLS
Buick Ownership
Red Needle TourX
Since there has been talk in the past about which tools work/don't for matching the TPMS, I thought I would share my experience.

I purchased the following match tool earlier this spring so I can swap between my winter and summer wheel sets.

Amazon.com: JDiag 2IN1 TPMS Relearn Tool Super EL50448 for GM and Ford Tire Pressure Relearn Sensor TPMS Tire Reset Tool 2019 Edition: Automotive

The tool worked perfectly.

Steps for matching:
  1. Engage parking brake and turn off vehicle.
  2. Remove foot from brake, then press and hold the Start/Stop button for 5 seconds. The vehicle enters 'service mode.'
  3. Navigate to the tire pressure screen of the DIC.
  4. Press and hold the <check> button on the steering wheel. The horn sounds twice when learn mode is activated.
  5. Place the match tool on the sidewall next to the valve stem, then press the button on the tool. The order for matching is:
    - Driver's front
    - Passenger's front
    - Passenger's rear
    - Driver's rear
  6. A horn chirp confirms each sensor match. When the final sensor is matched, a double horn chirp signals the end of the process.

Last edited:

liuby33

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal GS
Thanks for the info! The user manual linked to a device that costs CAD$120 and claimed other TPMS might not work. Well we now know that there is one that works!

Rhetoric

SUPPORTING MEMBER
MPLS
Buick Ownership
Red Needle TourX
It works good. I got one from Ebay for $15.88.

The only thing I'd add is to follow the light on the corner of the car that needs programming.
Not sure what you mean. My 2018 red needle UI had no light. You just follow the DF>PF>PR>DR pattern each match process.

mitchflorida

Buick Newbie
South Florida
Buick Ownership
2016 Summit White Regal, Premium II, Moonroof, Driver Confidence Package
You can do the reset without a tool by just deflating the lighted tire until the horn sounds. After you have completed the reset, you must reinflate the tires to the correct psi. Of course, using the match tool is preferred if you have one.

Zeroboostbuick

S.W. Ontario Canada
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback - 2010 Yamaha R6 (track bike) Past cars: 92 LeSabre, 98 Regal, 02 GrandPrixGT
I got one from ebay too, for $ 14.xx Canadian pesos.
:stretch:

Works perfect !

Older GM cars were able to do the procedure with out a tool. Instead of using the tool you would start releasing air from the corresponding tire and the car would honk as per procedure when it got the message. Only downfall was you would need to top off the air in the tires afterwards. If I remember correctly it only needed a few psi to be released before the BCM got the signal.

Zeroboostbuick

S.W. Ontario Canada
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback - 2010 Yamaha R6 (track bike) Past cars: 92 LeSabre, 98 Regal, 02 GrandPrixGT
You can do the reset without a tool by just deflating the lighted tire until the horn sounds. After you have completed the reset, you must reinflate the tires to the correct psi. Of course, using the match tool is preferred if you have one.
Only older GM car can do it like that. I tried on a 2014 Verano and it didn't work.

ChibiBlackSheep

Southeast, PA
Buick Ownership
Regal TourX Essence | Moon Blue Metallic
Only older GM car can do it like that. I tried on a 2014 Verano and it didn't work.
Yeah that method stopped working in 2012 I think for GM.

I would just add that if you buy one of these tools from Amazon, and it doesn't work for you. Return it. There are a lot of fakes out there. I had to purchase 2 different ones from different sellers before I got one that was real and worked. Luckily Amazon kept offering returns.

But I bought the orange EL50448

FavaBean

DE
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
Steps for matching:
  1. Engage parking brake and turn off vehicle.
  2. Remove foot from brake, then press and hold the Start/Stop button for 5 seconds. The vehicle enters 'service mode.'
  3. Navigate to the tire pressure screen of the DIC.
  4. Press and hold the <check> button on the steering wheel. The horn sounds twice when learn mode is activated.
  5. Place the match tool on the sidewall next to the valve stem, then press the button on the tool. The order for matching is:
    - Driver's front
    - Passenger's front
    - Passenger's rear
    - Driver's rear
  6. A horn chirp confirms each sensor match. When the final sensor is matched, a double horn chirp signals the end of the process.
@Rhetoric - Thank you. This process worked perfectly.

At first, I wasn't sure of the proper orientation of the tool itself. What worked best for me was if I held the tool like I was holding a dagger about to be plunged straight into the sidewall of the tire.

I can confirm that another product works ($11.80 @ amazon):
Amazon.com: Baogoo GM Tire Pressure Monitor Sensor TPMS Reset: Automotive

The outside market light is on, telling the next corner needing programmed.
Yes, very cool the Buick does that.

I always check my tires as I roll them to the proper rotation spot on the car. Unfortunately, like clockwork... I picked up a nail somewhere. This will be my 4th tire repair on the car in 1 year. I've had more flats with this car than the rest of my driving career.

Last edited:

Hunter Mike

America’s Dairyland
Buick Ownership
Dark Moon 19 Buick Opel Vauxhall Insignia Country Tourer Regal TourX Essence Estate Avant Wagon
Last edited:

mike69440

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence
Thank you all. My snow tires & new rims are going on Saturday.
Amazon delivered the:
Amazon.com: JDiag 2IN1 TPMS Relearn Tool Super EL50448 for GM and Ford Tire Pressure Relearn Sensor TPMS Tire Reset Tool 2019 Edition: Automotive

Steps for TPMS matching:

Engage parking brake and turn off vehicle.

Remove foot from brake, then press and hold the Start/Stop button for 5 seconds. The vehicle enters 'service mode.'

Navigate to the tire pressure screen of the DIC.

Press and hold the <check> button on the steering wheel. The horn sounds twice when learn mode is activated.

Place the match tool on the sidewall next to the valve stem. The TPMS calibrator will not work through a metal rim.
Press the button and release on the tool. If it does not take first try slightly different angle or location

The cornering light on the corner of the car will indicate which tire that needs programming.

The order for matching is:

- Driver's front

- Passenger's front

- Passenger's rear

- Driver's rear

A horn chirp confirms each sensor match. When the final sensor is matched, a double horn chirp signals the end of the process.

I can confirm this calibrator works on my TourX. Assume it works on Fords also.

Pedal Commander