TPMS reusable on aftermarket rims?

NotSoRegal

Buick Ownership
2015 Buick Regal Turbo
So I just had my 2015 Regal Premium in for a tire change today and they showed me that 3 out of the 4 rims are bent. I went back to the Kia dealer I bought it from (they've always been great to deal with) and asked if there was anything they'd do considering I just bought the car about a month ago and it is affected the ride. I'm waiting to hear back right now, but if I am forced to buy new rims can the TPMS can be moved to the new rims? I'm looking at about $60 per sensor right now, and lord knows how much for installation and setup. Has anyone ever switched out their rims on a Regal before and moved the sensors over?

ken4

Buick Ownership
2016 Regal Turbo Premium 2 FWD
I have changed rims on my Regal, standard factory wheel to a GM accessory wheel. Both 18". I had the TPMS switched over to the new wheels. Then I decided to put tires on the standard wheels for winter so I needed a set of sensors. I bought a set of from E-Bay for about $12 each but one went bad over a couple of years and the originals are still going. They have batteries in them but I do not know long they are supposed to last. I think the freshest sensor would come from the dealership But they sure cost more. You can also buy just the rubber stem for about $5 and the sensor has a screw that holds it to the stem.

NotSoRegal

Buick Ownership
2015 Buick Regal Turbo
I have changed rims on my Regal, standard factory wheel to a GM accessory wheel. Both 18". I had the TPMS switched over to the new wheels. Then I decided to put tires on the standard wheels for winter so I needed a set of sensors. I bought a set of from E-Bay for about $12 each but one went bad over a couple of years and the originals are still going. They have batteries in them but I do not know long they are supposed to last. I think the freshest sensor would come from the dealership But they sure cost more. You can also buy just the rubber stem for about $5 and the sensor has a screw that holds it to the stem.
That's great to hear! I'm hoping that non GM accessory wheels will be the same. Thanks for the info.

carl3pedals

NJ
Buick Ownership
2012 Regal GS
I just bought new 18" wheels and tires to replace my previous setup on my 2012 GS, which had the larger wheels and low profile tires. The new gear included its own TPMS sensors, and they are working just fine with my 2012 GS.

NotSoRegal

Buick Ownership
2015 Buick Regal Turbo
I just bought new 18" wheels and tires to replace my previous setup on my 2012 GS, which had the larger wheels and low profile tires. The new gear included its own TPMS sensors, and they are working just fine with my 2012 GS.
Good to know that aftermarket sensors work fine. But I'm hoping I can just reuse the ones on my current rims.

NotSoRegal

Buick Ownership
2015 Buick Regal Turbo
FYI, TPMS batteries only last about 5-7 years.
Even better to know! How does one go about getting the batteries changed? Or do you just need to buy new ones altogether?

mitchflorida

Buick Newbie
South Florida
Buick Ownership
2016 Summit White Regal, Premium II, Moonroof, Driver Confidence Package
Even better to know! How does one go about getting the batteries changed? Or do you just need to buy new ones altogether?
You have to buy new ones, at about $15 each. The labor is going to cost $25+ per wheel or included when you install the new wheels.

NotSoRegal

Buick Ownership
2015 Buick Regal Turbo
You have to buy new ones, at about $15 each. The labor is going to cost $25+ per wheel or included when you install the new wheels.
Damn, wish I could get them that cheap up here. In Canada I haven't found them that cheap. Sadly I'm looking at like $45 per sensor and even more for labor. I've got my fingers crossed that I can get my tire shop to put them on the new rims. No word from Kia yet if they'll help out so I'm just waiting. I'm thinking about getting some RTX Envy Black Machined Bronze.
D12000100156509.png 12416_Black-Diamond-Tricoat-Buick-Regal-Premium-18-option-Base-Sedan-2015-RTX-Envy-Black-Machi...png

NotSoRegal

Buick Ownership
2015 Buick Regal Turbo
Says they ship to Canada.

That's great, but I think I'd be in for some bad tax once it hits the border. I'll keep looking for them though if I need them. Thanks for linking a good set!

Get your turbo buick badge right here!