TPMS sensor trigger tool

rgt50wood

2014 White Encore Premium FWD
I have a 2014 Encore and just installed 4 x 16" winter tires ( on Trax steel wheels). Did not install TPMS on the winter tires so I have to deal with the warning light in the dash for the next few months.
Question: When I will reinstall the summer wheels ( original ) in the spring and rotate them, will I need to visit the dealer in order to reset the ECU for the new wheel positions? I understand the dash light will reset automatically since the TPMSs in the wheels are the GM originals but will the DIC display the correct tire pressure for the wheel location?

egpowers

Verano
it should re-sync. I would recommend taking it to a good tire shop that has the ability to scan and reset the TPMS, have them balance and inspect your tires before reinstalling them, they will be able to make sure everything is matched up.

TheAirman

2013 Encore Premium
It doesn't re-sync. Each time you rotate, you have to have the TPMS reset and a relearn done. Each position has a unique code, and if you rotate without a relearn, it won't show the correct position.

Try section 10-47 of the owners manual for more info.

I bought a re-learn tool off Amazon for $80.00 for just that purpose. And also because my snows mounted on steel wheels have TPMS sensors in them too.

rgt50wood

2014 White Encore Premium FWD
Thank you for your reply and suggestions.
TheAirman... which type of TPMS re-learn tool did you buy from Amazon? ( make, model ).
I understand only some models work with the Encore

GoMich

Buick
One way to activate and re-sync TPMS sensors is to deflate tires.
Tool from Amazon all it does, it triggers TPMS to transmit Serial number and pressure, so that BCM in car stores its location while in learning mode.
The other way to trigger the TPMS sensor is to pump tire up to 35-40psi, then activate vehicle learn function and start deflating tire with small screw driver or pen.
The rate of deflation should be 6-8psi in 10 sec. That will force TPMS sensor to transmit data to vehicle without using the trigger tool.
Then you just do same to all the rest of tires in sequence same way.
Afterwards, pump up all tires to normal pressure.

TheAirman

2013 Encore Premium
Thank you for your reply and suggestions.
TheAirman... which type of TPMS re-learn tool did you buy from Amazon? ( make, model ).
I understand only some models work with the Encore
This one:
http://www.amazon.com/Kent-Moore-EL-50448-Pressure-Monitor-Activation/dp/B00A3UNYW8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1416963605&sr=8-1&keywords=tpms+relearn+tool

- - - Updated - - -

One way to activate and re-sync TPMS sensors is to deflate tires.
Tool from Amazon all it does, it triggers TPMS to transmit Serial number and pressure, so that BCM in car stores its location while in learning mode.
The other way to trigger the TPMS sensor is to pump tire up to 35-40psi, then activate vehicle learn function and start deflating tire with small screw driver or pen.
The rate of deflation should be 6-8psi in 10 sec. That will force TPMS sensor to transmit data to vehicle without using the trigger tool.
Then you just do same to all the rest of tires in sequence same way.
Afterwards, pump up all tires to normal pressure.
A trick I haven't heard of. I'm ging to have to try this. Thanks for sharing.

rpk0925

Buick
Cars seem to be getting more complicated than they're worth these days. Whatever happened to the days when you just routinely check the tire pressure the old fashioned way ... with a gauge? (half joking)

TheAirman

2013 Encore Premium
People got lazy.

Then they drove their SUV's with low tire pressure on their Firestone tires.

Their Firestone tires overheated and blew. Then their SUV's rolled and they killed themselves.

Then the government started to protect us from ourselves.

And the TPMS was born.

HotZ28

1996 Roadmaster Limited Collectors Edition 58k - 1996 PAU
Even with the limited technology that exist today for a fully functional "self driving car", I am sure that would be better than some of the cell phone talking-texting nun-nut drivers I encounter every day on the highway. TMS is just another way to cover the dumb asses who have no idea of how to test air pressure, or do anything else to service their vehicle. This dumb down of our society, is just another reason for the birth of the oil life monitor. Most car owners simply have no idea of what & when to service & check on their own vehicle.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!