Trailer hitch with foot sensor to open hatch

Thread starter #1

carbob08

Washington
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
Hi all.

New member here, just picked up a 2108 TourX a few weeks ago. I wanted to share what I found regarding the trailer hitch and foot activated hatch sensor.

I asked my dealer what happens to the foot sensor when I put on a trailer hitch, they of course said "you disable the kick feature". Well, that wasn't an acceptable answer to me, so I crawled under the car in the hopes of finding a second mounting point for the sensor....and there it was, about 9 inches towards the drivers side! So I moved my sensor!

The wiring is long enough to reach, just have to clip a few zip-ties and reattach. Then drill a new hole in the bumper so the light can shine on the ground, if you want it, the sensor works fine without the hole. All total the job took me about 20 minutes, the new hole taking the most time to ensure it was centered well under the light.

DoUSail2

Buick Ownership
Her 2018 Regal TourX Essence, Frost, Convenience 1&2, S&S
I had the dealer install the accessory hitch and now the kick to open is intermittent. Any chance you can post a picture of what you did? I assume the insignia light and the sensor are separate devices or are they combined into one.

Thread starter #3

carbob08

Washington
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
I just went to see if there was any way to get pictures and unfortunately with the hitch installed there isn't now. Moving the sensor is going to be much harder to reach with the hitch in the way. Here is a quick description of the steps though.

The sensor and light are one unit, they clip into a plastic bracket that easily allows the sensor to be removed just with your hand. One clip on either side of the assembly. With the assy removed and set aside, there are 3 points that the mount uses to attach to the back of the bumper. I used a small screwdriver to release the clip that allows the bracket to pivot up. From there it took a dental pick to release the other two clips. Once that is removed, you can just clip the mount into the new location about 9 inches towards the driver side. Now follow the wires and clip the zip ties used to keep everything still and you will see a loop of about 10 inches of extra wire near the passenger corner of the bumper. Once all that is loose you should have enough length to clip the sensor assy back into the mount that you have already moved. Reattach the wires and drill new hole for light, if you want, and you are set.

I hope this explanation helps.

Ctrcbob

Buick Ownership
Regal Tour-X
Although I have no intention of installing a hitch, this is good info.

stevie123

Buick Ownership
Buick
Any chance you can provide a photo of your installed hitch? I was close to getting my dealer's installed hitch, but the only photo he was able to get show the hitch at least 2 inches below the bumper and not that nice. I wonder if this is the best we can do or are there options out there? (I'm looking at using it for bike rack)

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
Wow that is pretty crazy, are they sending out correction to manuals? Almost sounds like Chevy is running the whole show, oh wait they have been since picking Corvette instead of better Olds or Pontiac versions.
LJ

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
The EU towing weight is on a different set of regulation for the EU regarding trailering so that's why there is a difference.

DoUSail2

Buick Ownership
Her 2018 Regal TourX Essence, Frost, Convenience 1&2, S&S
My dealer said the hitch is rated for 3500 lbs. I'll have to get some pictures after the 12 inches of snow melt but it does stick out and lower than what I would consider necessary. Could have been tucked in a little better. The hitch is designed and built by Curt.

P.S. My wife says the car does great in snow.

BahamaTodd

3.8L Member
Palm Beach, FL
Buick Ownership
2018.5 Regal GS
The hitch rating and vehicle rating are not the same thing. The vehicle is rated for 1000 lbs towing. So a hitch with a rating of at least that much is installed.

I'm sure the TourX can handle about 2000-3000 lbs but GM probably did not take the time to officially determine the actual max rating according to SAE guidelines and gave it that minimal 1000 lbs rating.

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
Noticed the correct Curt hitch is available on Amazon for $183.
Probably would buy to protect bumper from damage more then acually use for towing. Pretty sure my Sierra is better tow vehicle.
LJ

Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal Tour X
The hitch rating and vehicle rating are not the same thing. The vehicle is rated for 1000 lbs towing. So a hitch with a rating of at least that much is installed.

I'm sure the TourX can handle about 2000-3000 lbs but GM probably did not take the time to officially determine the actual max rating according to SAE guidelines and gave it that minimal 1000 lbs rating.
They rated it in Europe, and it's the same car. So I think this is accurate:
2017 Opel Insignia Sports Tourer Can Tow Up To 4,850 Pounds

Thread starter #14

carbob08

Washington
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
Any chance you can provide a photo of your installed hitch? I was close to getting my dealer's installed hitch, but the only photo he was able to get show the hitch at least 2 inches below the bumper and not that nice. I wonder if this is the best we can do or are there options out there? (I'm looking at using it for bike rack)
Here is a photo. I got this one from etrailer. It is the Draw-Tite version, look beefier than the Curt/Factory version. My brake wires are just wrapped around the cross bar until I get a mount setup.

Attachments

stevie123

Buick Ownership
Buick
Here is a photo. I got this one from etrailer. It is the Draw-Tite version, look beefier than the Curt/Factory version. My brake wires are just wrapped around the cross bar until I get a mount setup.
Thank you for the photo. It looks pretty good.

Can you describe the installation? Was it easy (i.e. no drilling or cutting)? Can I do this with basic tools? Do I need to jack up the car?

Thread starter #17

carbob08

Washington
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
Thank you for the photo. It looks pretty good.

Can you describe the installation? Was it easy (i.e. no drilling or cutting)? Can I do this with basic tools? Do I need to jack up the car?
Installation was actually quite a pain. The instructions provided were not complete, so it took nearly 4 hours.

First, remove exhaust, don't even try without, there are bolts that are extremely hard to reach above the mufflers and the system doesn't bend far enough down to reach them easily. Then take off both heat shields, they need to be trimmed a bit. Feed bolts through rails, install heat shields. Lift up hitch, can be done with car on the ground, but is tough to lift and position that way. Two people really help with the lifting step, need to tuck behind bumper and start bolts at same time. Tighten everything down and reinstall exhaust. If you have kick sensor and want to relocate it, do it before installing hitch so there is room for your hands.

Basic tools are all that is needed. I used a few sizes of sockets with ratchet, metal snips for heat shield, pliers for heat shield nuts, and torque wrench to set final bolt torque.

stevie123

Buick Ownership
Buick
Installation was actually quite a pain. The instructions provided were not complete, so it took nearly 4 hours.

First, remove exhaust, don't even try without, there are bolts that are extremely hard to reach above the mufflers and the system doesn't bend far enough down to reach them easily. Then take off both heat shields, they need to be trimmed a bit. Feed bolts through rails, install heat shields. Lift up hitch, can be done with car on the ground, but is tough to lift and position that way. Two people really help with the lifting step, need to tuck behind bumper and start bolts at same time. Tighten everything down and reinstall exhaust. If you have kick sensor and want to relocate it, do it before installing hitch so there is room for your hands.

Basic tools are all that is needed. I used a few sizes of sockets with ratchet, metal snips for heat shield, pliers for heat shield nuts, and torque wrench to set final bolt torque.
Thank you for your notes. In that case, it may be worth it to have a professional install it (I don't have access to a lift...)...especially with the cold weather recently.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.