Trailer Hitch

HMTJ6821

Buick Ownership
Buick LaCrosse 2016
We have a 750 pound mower that occasionally needs to be taken to the dealer for warranty work or service. I found that General Motors lists the Buick LaCrosse with the 3.6L engine as being capable of towing up to 1,000 pounds.

Has anyone tried this? I have found several brands of trailer hitch platforms that are available for the Buick LaCrosse. Some attach to the muffler hangers which seems weak to me. One actually attaches to the rear wheel frame members which seems better.

My wife says that it would just be too ugly and out of character for the refined look of the car.

CarbonBlackCXS

There's lots to consider. The towing capacity would also include the weight of the trailer so you'd be running close to it's limits if not over. Even a little steel 4x6' trailer can weigh 300 lbs or more. The loaded tongue weight should be in the 10 - 15% range so make sure the hitch you choose is rated appropriately. The loaded hitch weight can be adjusted a bit depending how far forward or back the mower sits over the trailer axel. Make sure the trailer is large enough that you can move the mower fore and aft to stay within those limits. If the trailer is marginal you could easily be over loading the tongue or having it too light which is also dangerous. You should also consider how far you have to go and the terrain such as hills etc.. Aesthetics aside I wouldn't pull a rig that heavy with a LaCrosse but that's up to you.

HMTJ6821

Buick Ownership
Buick LaCrosse 2016
It would only be an occasional trip with the loaded trailer and the mower dealer is only about 12 miles away although there are some moderate hills for the first five miles. My son, who has a half-ton pickup, has towed my mower on his trailer. He cautions me not to try it as the weight of the trailer will be wagging the car around (in his opinion). Yes, my son could tow it for me but, unfortunately for me, he is getting married this summer and will be moving several states away as soon as he can sell his property. Boo Hoo! We are going to miss our son—and his truck.

CarbonBlackCXS

Congratulations about gaining a daughter-in-law. Trucks are definitely handy to have around so I'm sure you'll miss having both him and his truck around.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!