Trailer hitch

Rb0891

Indiana
I put on a trailer hitch a while back. Certainly not the easiest I have done (by myself), but just took about 4 hours.

When reading the reviews on etrailer, a commenter mentioned that he was able to shift the hands free sensor over to the side so that it is not over the top of the hitch and thus still operational. Claims there were provisions for an additional mount for this sensor, I believe toward the driver side.

I was kind of in a hurry and looked. There is some type of tab system to the side, but did not look identical to the original, more centered mount.

Has anyone successfully relocated this sensor?

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
I might be looking into this project this weekend. But I do recall reading in another thread that someone did this and I believe they posted some pictures. If I find it I will post a link.

Rb0891

Indiana
I might be looking into this project this weekend. But I do recall reading in another thread that someone did this and I believe they posted some pictures. If I find it I will post a link.
Thanks. Fyi, I did not drop the exhaust as some have suggested. Not doing this made getting the heat shields out much more difficult, but it was possible.

Also, I have a lift, but did this on the ground since I did it alone and it was easier to get the actual hitch up by myself. I did have to Jack the rear up some.

NormT

Turbo-4 power!
OH-IO
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
I did the Curt hitch on the TourX this weekend with Tekonsha trailer wiring.

I used ramps for the rear end and just used tin snips for trimming the heat shield in place while exhaust was hanging. I've install 4 or 5 of these now and they are all pretty much the same.

The Tekonsha is plug-n-play with a ground and running positive to the battery. I just use alligator clip and un clip it when not towing a jetski.

I don't have foot activated liftgate so I cannot help you there.

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
I did the Curt hitch on the TourX this weekend with Tekonsha trailer wiring.

I used ramps for the rear end and just used tin snips for trimming the heat shield in place while exhaust was hanging. I've install 4 or 5 of these now and they are all pretty much the same.

The Tekonsha is plug-n-play with a ground and running positive to the battery. I just use alligator clip and un clip it when not towing a jetski.

I don't have foot activated liftgate so I cannot help you there.
They do not have a 4 wire trailer hookup provision, in rear of TourX?

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
I installed my hitch today. It was a bitch. I did it on the ground and disconnected the exhaust hanger just before the split. This gave me enough room to get the heat shields out. I would have left them in place but I forgot my aviation snips at work. Once snipped and reconnected the biggest issue was trying to squeeze under the car with the hitch and press it in place while tightening the nuts. It can be done but it is a pain.

But when I looked at moving the kick to open sensor I bailed. While it looked like I could move it over, mine has a hole cut in the bumper valence to project through. If I moved it I would have to drill a new one. I didn't measure but I would say it was about 1.5" in diameter. Since it didn't look like it was going to be totally blocked I rolled the dice. Turns out I didn't need to do anything as you can see. It is partially blocked but functions fine.

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
Nice job..not much bumper protection that I would be interested in, unless I could put something big in that little receiver.
Wonder if Weather Tech makes bumper step that fits that small receiver?

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
I don't know if weather tech has one but there are several on Amazon. I will be using it for a bike rack and a cargo tray.

NormT

Turbo-4 power!
OH-IO
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
No trailer provision for the TourX. But the inline plug is easy. Find a ground and run the power wire to the battery. I use an alligator clip on the battery as I don't want it on all of the time for jetski towing.

mooooo

Buick Ownership
tourx
Nice job..not much bumper protection that I would be interested in, unless I could put something big in that little receiver.
Wonder if Weather Tech makes bumper step that fits that small receiver?
Bumpers are cheap. Straightening unibody frames is not.

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
Yeah will not order wimpy hitch.
Really not a wimpy hitch. This hitch weighs 10# more than the 2" receiver version on my wife's truck. It is solidly made. I think the only reason it is 1 1/4" is due to Buick's low tow rating. Hardware was the same size and same number of fasteners, so no reason to be smaller/ less capacity other than mfg spec.

Last edited:

DoUSail2

Buick Ownership
Her 2018 Regal TourX Essence, Frost, Convenience 1&2, S&S
After installation my dealer told me that the hitch was good to 3500 lbs. I had them order and install for free in my last attempt to get the price down any further in my negotiations. After inspecting I too would say that it is not a wimpy hitch.

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
I assumed it had wimpy hitch to match the wimpy tow rating.
Heavy dufy hitch will make it feel like your towing nothing...

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
I assumed it had wimpy hitch to match the wimpy tow rating.
Heavy dufy hitch will make it feel like your towing nothing...
Sorry guys...my evil twin keeps getting loose and saying insensitive things. He does not seem to understand some guys on here are very sensitive.