• This section is for help and assistance with 2018 and NEWER Buick Regals. If you need assistance with a 2011-2017 Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. If you need assistance with a 2010 or older Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. This notice may be dismissed by clicking the X in the right corner.

Trailer hitch

L J

Regal TourX
I don't know if anyone is sensitive...just letting you know the hitch itself is rated for 3500 pounds and 350 tongue weight.
I guess if you put on vehicle that actually has more then a 0 tow rating, it can tow what vehicle tow rating is up to 3500 lbs.

Wlepse

NNJ
2018 Regal TourX Essence
I guess if you put on vehicle that actually has more then a 0 tow rating, it can tow what vehicle tow rating is up to 3500 lbs.
Yeah, but I doubt I will do any towing. Withe the way the trans lugs just driving around I can imagine how bad it would be if you were towing.

Rhetoric

SUPPORTING MEMBER
MPLS
Red Needle TourX
I don't know if anyone is sensitive...just letting you know the hitch itself is rated for 3500 pounds and 350 tongue weight.
He’s probably talking about me.

I have all the feels.

Buick rates the car at 1000lbs for towing. That’s what a rep told me over Facebook after someone from Buick misquoted the towing at 5k lbs.

I wouldn’t worry about 3500lbs, though, as the Insignia is rated for more.

Last edited:

L J

Regal TourX
He’s probably talking about me.

I have all the feels.

Buick rates the car at 1000lbs for towing. That’s what a rep told me over Facebook after someone from Buick misquoted the towing at 5k lbs.

I wouldn’t worry about 3500lbs, though, as the Insignia is rated for more.
R man been missing you bud! I would give you my normal ration of shit with kid gloves on... but just had unmarked lady cop let me off for getting on the Buick. Dam good thing she said she could get me for $700 of tickets. She ran my id asked me when had last ticket and let me off. How long do they normally frisk you?
PS R Man cover your eyes... do you believe she clocked me at 155?

Last edited:

Rhetoric

SUPPORTING MEMBER
MPLS
Red Needle TourX
R man been missing you bud! I would give you my normal ration of shit with kid gloves on... but just had unmarked lady cop let me off for getting on the Buick. Dam good thing she said she could get me for $700 of tickets. She ran my id asked me when had last ticket and let me off. How long do they normally frisk you?
Got clocked at 157 by my buddy with a Piper Cub over the weekend out in western MN. He was drinking and flying though so I’m not sure on that accuracy.

They usually take me in to the ‘station’ to frisk me. Lasts a day or two. All women police force up here in MN.

Last edited:

L J

Regal TourX
Got clocked at 157 by my buddy with a Piper Cub over the weekend out in western MN. He was drinking and flying though so I’m not sure on that accuracy.

They usually take me in to the ‘station’ to frisk me. Lasts a day or two. All women police force up here in MN.
Dam R man was thinking most of the guys on here were boring old Buick guys. Wait nevermind...

mike69440

2018 TourX Essence
Around here they would take you out in the woods and pump a few in you for "resisting". No witnesses.
Red Needle Model?
Were you towing a trailer?

L J

Regal TourX
Where are you Cuba?
Pump a few? We talking free gas?
Yes red... I like the fastest vehicles if possible.
Towing a trailer.. that is not allowed per Buick so was pushing it until it went airborne.

LeeH

2019 Buick Tour X Essence
I understand the towing capacity of the TourX is only 1000 lbs. Can't do much with that! not even a Cricket could be towed... be lucky to even tow a Uhaul moving unit. In Europe, the same car is rated for over 4000 lbs. Could it be the euro cars (Opel Insignia wagon) are equipped with a heavy-duty cooling radiator or a larger cooler for operating oils (transmission maybe)? Also, read somewhere the Euro version is equipped with some kind of trailering package to slow the car down if the trailer starts to "waggle" at high speeds? Perhaps the higher speed of the autobahn required a more
robust cooling system as compared to the US? Anyone look into what difference (under the hood) between the Opel and Tour X?

GermyShoe

Richardson, TX
Regal TourX
I understand the towing capacity of the TourX is only 1000 lbs. Can't do much with that! not even a Cricket could be towed... be lucky to even tow a Uhaul moving unit. In Europe, the same car is rated for over 4000 lbs. Could it be the euro cars (Opel Insignia wagon) are equipped with a heavy-duty cooling radiator or a larger cooler for operating oils (transmission maybe)? Also, read somewhere the Euro version is equipped with some kind of trailering package to slow the car down if the trailer starts to "waggle" at high speeds? Perhaps the higher speed of the autobahn required a more
robust cooling system as compared to the US? Anyone look into what difference (under the hood) between the Opel and Tour X?
If you ever go to Europe, especially Germany, you will see caravans of trailers in the right lane doing 100kph (60mph). They don't pull trailers faster than that, so I suspect that there is less load on the transmission.

L J

Regal TourX
If you ever go to Europe, especially Germany, you will see caravans of trailers in the right lane doing 100kph (60mph). They don't pull trailers faster than that, so I suspect that there is less load on the transmission.
They have different towing standards. And higher gas prices, less idiots going up baker type grade at 90
in 110 degree heat.

4wheelforay

2018 Buick Regal TourX
It has been a long time since I have read into this but the euros have significantly different laws with regards to towing. Lower speeds when trailering, different licensing for the drivers.

YourEconProf

2019 Regal TourX
FWIW, I pull a 1200lb teardrop w/ my 2019 TourX. I only pull with the transmission in Manual mode, and I keep the RPMs above 2k. I suspect that the difference from Euro to US spec is also driven by the transmission--it is by far my least favorite aspect of the car.

94cruiser

Sustaining Member
not yet
Are there differences in the US and Euro 8speed spec?

fng

Delaware Ohio
2018 Regal Essence Frost White Tri-Coat
I think 3 things influenced the original "not suitable for towing" and the subsequent "1,000 lb. tow rating":
1. different towing practices US v EU
2. US is a very litigious society
3. GM desires to sell you a more-profitable SUV to use for towing

YourEconProf

2019 Regal TourX
fng,
You are in Delaware? I'm in Worthington! Two towing TourXes so close. What are the odds?

I don't disagree with what you said, but the transmission tuning, at least I think has to be different. I can't imagine towing 3500lbs in auto on this. If the tranny had a tow mode, I think it would be a great towing vehicle (and some stiffer rear springs).

Again, it pulls our 1200lb teardrop w/ a 200lb tongue w/ ease, but we keep it in manual mode and try to keep the revs up.

Matt.

I think 3 things influenced the original "not suitable for towing" and the subsequent "1,000 lb. tow rating":
1. different towing practices US v EU
2. US is a very litigious society
3. GM desires to sell you a more-profitable SUV to use for towing

PalmyZB

Holden Commodore ZB LT Sportswagon (Buick Regal)
Being in New Zealand, I have the Holden version of the Buick wagon. I have a dealer fitted GMHNZ towing pack, which was fitted when I bought the car new.

Our cars are rated for 750kg unbraked, or 1800 kg braked (overrun automatic brakes) for 4 cylinder, and 2100kg braked for the 6 cylinder. I noticed the dealer fitted a pack rated at 2100kg for mine (4 cylinder petrol), but as the body shells are identical, it makes no difference. There is no extra cooling required.

When the electrics are coupled, the park assist and lane departure switches off, and the indicators change to give six flashes instead of 3 with the lane change flick. The antisway also works as a part of the ESC, and supposedly applies the brakes it the trailer gets a bit frisky.

I often tow my 1000kg trailer, and have towed a 1500kg caravan through the centre of the north island (mountainous) with ease in drive, with manual override on descents only to get some engine braking.

Another difference our cars have is a nine speed auto. Only the diesels get the eight speed Aisin unit. Oh, and our 4 cyl turbopetrols are slightly derated to produce a little less torque (350Nm). Presumably, this is to not to overshadow the 6 cylinder models completely.

fng

Delaware Ohio
2018 Regal Essence Frost White Tri-Coat
YourEconProf,
Delaware mailing address, but just South of the city limits. My car is actually a Sportback; I use the hitch for a cargo basket to haul a lawn aerator, rototiller, etc. home from the rental center. I purchased but haven't installed the light controller. I don't expect to ever tow a trailer, but would like to have the option.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!