• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

tranny

broke_collegekid

Buick Ownership
2003 lesabre limited
I had some hard shifting and the max adapt long shift code on my 03 Lesabre. I added lucas stop slip to the transmission after pumping out some tranny fluid and also pumped some more out and added a bottle of the transmission fluid conditioner. After about 1000 miles my shifts have gotten better (although it might also be the winter).

rcl153

Buick Ownership
Buick
I had some hard shifting and the max adapt long shift code on my 03 Lesabre. I added lucas stop slip to the transmission after pumping out some tranny fluid and also pumped some more out and added a bottle of the transmission fluid conditioner. After about 1000 miles my shifts have gotten better (although it might also be the winter).

Thanks, I might try that!

Regal LTD Coupe

Buick Ownership
1993 Buick Regal Limited coupe 3800 (1991 Cadillac Fleetwood coupe 4.9 & 1990 Lincoln LSC SE 5.0 HO)
I have used Lucas, usually when I find the transmission fluid has been leaking out. I don't think it's going to do much one way or another but one mechanic I used to know swore by it for older transmissions. Any time the power steering fluid was low in my Pontiac I added their power steering goop as well and found it to leak slower. It's mostly a bandaid but have never had any issues with it. I wouldn't use their oil stabilizer these days. As far as the transmission; better to replace the fluid and filter then add the Lucas later if you find it's still leaking.

rcl153

Buick Ownership
Buick
I scanned the car. There were no codes. Do you think the jerking is due to slippage? Maybee Lucas stop slip is a good idea. What does the conditioner do? Thanks.

QUOTE="Regal LTD Coupe, post: 332228, member: 54499"]
I have used Lucas, usually when I find the transmission fluid has been leaking out. I don't think it's going to do much one way or another but one mechanic I used to know swore by it for older transmissions. Any time the power steering fluid was low in my Pontiac I added their power steering goop as well and found it to leak slower. It's mostly a bandaid but have never had any issues with it. I wouldn't use their oil stabilizer these days. As far as the transmission; better to replace the fluid and filter then add the Lucas later if you find it's still leaking.
[/QUOTE]

broke_collegekid

Buick Ownership
2003 lesabre limited
I scanned the car. There were no codes. Do you think the jerking is due to slippage? Maybee Lucas stop slip is a good idea. What does the conditioner do? Thanks.

QUOTE="Regal LTD Coupe, post: 332228, member: 54499"]
[/QUOTE]
If you go read amazon reviews for the conditioner they are basically all positive, people say it improves the shifting if there is slight slipping or harsher than normal shifts. The Lucas stop slip is harder on the transmission because it's got more viscosity so on amazon there's some negative reviews saying it screwed up their transmission. I would say the conditioner carries less risk.

rcl153

Buick Ownership
Buick
If you go read amazon reviews for the conditioner they are basically all positive, people say it improves the shifting if there is slight slipping or harsher than normal shifts. The Lucas stop slip is harder on the transmission because it's got more viscosity so on amazon there's some negative reviews saying it screwed up their transmission. I would say the conditioner carries less risk.
[/QUOTE]
Thanks, that's very helpful!

broke_collegekid

Buick Ownership
2003 lesabre limited
Thanks, that's very helpful!
[/QUOTE]
Make sure if you use it to remove how much fluid you're gonna replace it with, don't want to over fill!

rcl153

Buick Ownership
Buick
If there was no code, is it still probably the solenoid, or could it be a sensor or modulator or something else?

RobR

Buick Ownership
Lesabre
The solenoid would most likely the culprit. The solenoid,whether it is failing or is contaminated with metal dust because the pan magnet gets oversaturated (there is a tsb on that) and looses effectiveness,delivers an incorrect signal to the tcm and slows the shifts to a point that the failsafe max adapt is triggered. The tcm,not knowing that the signal is incorrect,thinks that the clutches have worn out. Max adapt sets the pressure of the fliud to max to save the transmission from damage. The shift kit,i believe,sets the shift time at fixed value(correct me if im wrong guys) under the max adapt threshold thereby returning the fluid pressure back to normal.

rcl153

Buick Ownership
Buick
The solenoid would most likely the culprit. The solenoid,whether it is failing or is contaminated with metal dust because the pan magnet gets oversaturated (there is a tsb on that) and looses effectiveness,delivers an incorrect signal to the tcm and slows the shifts to a point that the failsafe max adapt is triggered. The tcm,not knowing that the signal is incorrect,thinks that the clutches have worn out. Max adapt sets the pressure of the fliud to max to save the transmission from damage. The shift kit,i believe,sets the shift time at fixed value(correct me if im wrong guys) under the max adapt threshold thereby returning the fluid pressure back to normal.
Interesting,thanks!

rcl153

Buick Ownership
Buick
Would flushing the tranny and changing the fluid, clean out the solenoid? I'm not sure my mechanic could do the shift kit.

Alan 55

Buick Newbie
Sustaining Member
Florida
Buick Ownership
2001 Buick Park Avenue, previously owned 1997 Park Avenue
Would flushing the tranny and changing the fluid, clean out the solenoid? I'm not sure my mechanic could do the shift kit.
In case that you would like to see what is involved in installing the shift kit, there are videos on YouTube that show
a step by step procedure. This would be a “gravy” job for most mechanics.

RobR

Buick Ownership
Lesabre
Assuming the solenoid hasnt failed and is contaminated. There are magnets in the solenoid that hold the metal dust. Flushing it out may not dislodge the dust. Im not sure the flush will dissolve the dust but i doubt any manufacturer of flush would design it to be aggressive on metal. Imo do the shift kit and be done with it

Frampton

Buick Ownership
2003 buick lesabre custom
my fluid has 40k mi on it , it looks ok. do you think it needs to be changed?
Absolutely. Change filter and fluid. Easy cheap and great peace of mind. On mine when I bought it, it had 90,000 on the clock so I changed mine, drove a month then changed it again and did the transgo shift kit cause it was starting to shift hard, and was ready to replace ALL the solinoids! But the shift kit solved the problem beautifully! So if ANYBODY gets a p1811 code, DONT just think it's the solinoids right away, change filter, fluid, and shift kit FIRST!

Frampton

Buick Ownership
I would also run a can of Sea Foam Trans additive to clear the varnish out of the valve body for about 1k and other parts. Then drop the pan and change the fluid & filter and install the shift kit if needed. Use only DEX-6 rated fluid!
When I change my fluid and filter, I ALWAYS put in a bottle of the red bottle lubegard synthetic additive. Best stuff on the planet!

Frampton

Buick Ownership
I would also run a can of Sea Foam Trans additive to clear the varnish out of the valve body for about 1k and other parts. Then drop the pan and change the fluid & filter and install the shift kit if needed. Use only DEX-6 rated fluid!
The shift kit is a MUST! Made my trans shift like gm wished it would have! Smooth and quick!

Frampton

Buick Ownership
What will happen if I continue to drive it with the hard shifting?
Just don't! Change filter and fluid and done the transgo kit! Do it yourself if you have some simple tools. $100 in parts and if you can change your oil then you can do this. Watch the YouTube vids on this, there's several. Looks intimidating but it's not, trust me.

Turbo Buick Badge