Trans Fluid

Hyper Lhu

2013 Verano Turbo
Does anyone know how to change trans fluid on turbo Veranos? Where are the drain and fill plugs? I've heard there is a special procedure to it. I prefer to do these maintenance routines myself but if it's too complicated I'll just take it in.

Regal LTD Coupe

1993 Buick Regal Limited coupe 3800 (& 1991 Cadillac Fleetwood coupe 4900)
I would only have the dealer do it for a car about 15 years or newer though even then they may claim it's a "sealed" system. Any procedure that includes a flush with a machine should be avoided. There is indeed a method.. maybe this will help? Transmission may not be the same but the method may work.

By the way, the guy in the video deals with Amsoil and since first seeing this video I have used it in my transmission and highly recommend it! Probably their blue cap Signature Series for your car would be best.

Hyper Lhu

2013 Verano Turbo
I would only have the dealer do it for a car about 15 years or newer though even then they may claim it's a "sealed" system. Any procedure that includes a flush with a machine should be avoided. There is indeed a method.. maybe this will help? Transmission may not be the same but the method may work.

By the way, the guy in the video deals with Amsoil and since first seeing this video I have used it in my transmission and highly recommend it! Probably their blue cap Signature Series for your car would be best.
Thanks for the info. I will research it more.

Zeroboostbuick

S.W. Ontario Canada
2018 Regal Sportback - 2010 Yamaha R6 (track bike) Past cars: 92 LeSabre, 98 Regal, 02 GrandPrixGT
It's much easier than older 4speed transmissions where we had to drop the pan to change the fluid.

Here is a video showing how to check the level, but basically checking the level is the last part after draining it and refilling.

Draining the fluid is the same as draining engine oil. Trans pan has a drain plug.

I put the car on jack stands all around to keep it level.

Edit... you can measure what comes out and put the same amount back in and call it good.

Last edited:

Hyper Lhu

2013 Verano Turbo
It's much easier than older 4speed transmissions where we had to drop the pan to change the fluid.

Here is a video showing how to check the level, but basically checking the level is the last part after draining it and refilling.

Draining the fluid is the same as draining engine oil. Trans pan has a drain plug.

I put the car on jack stands all around to keep it level.

Edit... you can measure what comes out and put the same amount back in and call it good.

Thanks,they really stress fluid temp as being important. I wonder if like u said,just put the same amount back in that u drain out if that would be ok.

Zeroboostbuick

S.W. Ontario Canada
2018 Regal Sportback - 2010 Yamaha R6 (track bike) Past cars: 92 LeSabre, 98 Regal, 02 GrandPrixGT
Thanks,they really stress fluid temp as being important. I wonder if like u said,just put the same amount back in that u drain out if that would be ok.
That's what most DIY'ers do.

I have HPTuners so I can see the trans temp.

You can get a cheap live scanner by buying a bluetooth OBD diagnostic adapter like the ELM327 or many other brands... just foogle "OBD Bluetooth"

I think the ELM327 is anywhere from $ 10 to 20. I've seen it for less than $ 10 CAD online on sale.

It also makes a great code reader to have in the glove box. Just connect it to the OBD port and open the app on your phone to access the live data and error codes.

Again.. do some research on the bluetooth OBD adapters because i don't have any experience with them personally. And like everything in existence, some will be better than others.

Hyper Lhu

2013 Verano Turbo

You can get a cheap live scanner by buying a bluetooth OBD diagnostic adapter like the ELM327 or many other brands... just foogle "OBD Bluetooth"

I think the ELM327 is anywhere from $ 10 to 20. I've seen it for less than $ 10 CAD online on sale.

It also makes a great code reader to have in the glove box. Just connect it to the OBD port and open the app on your phone to access the live data and error codes.

Again.. do some research on the bluetooth OBD adapters because i don't have any experience with them personally. And like everything in existence, some will be better than others.

Thanks, I will look into the Bluetooth OBD adapters. I would really rather do this job myself instead of paying someone else.

Turbo Buick Badge