• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

transmission Dextron fluid Type

lasabre

Buick Ownership
Buick
My 2003 owners manual recommends Dextron VIII, Its not made any more everything is Dextron VI , so when I went to the dealer he gives me 10-9118 88864060, its conventional type , the parts guy says you dont need synthetic fluid and they dont use it in newer Buick's only in special transmissions marked HD1, so now when I go on Amazon or E bay to see what they have in Dextron , there are about 5 different part numbers that all say they can be used in my transmission, so which one would you use?

Attachments

CorvairGeek

3.8L Member
The Gem State
Buick Ownership
1996, 92 Buick Century
Any of the first 3 all appear to be Dexron VI, which is now the approved fluid.

You advice from the dealer sounds like the typical, ignorant advice that is outdated or they think they know more than General Motor's engineering.

lasabre

Buick Ownership
Buick
Any of the first 3 all appear to be Dexron VI, which is now the approved fluid.

You advice from the dealer sounds like the typical, ignorant advice that is outdated or they think they know more than General Motor's engineering.
yes you R right they all say anything to sell you something even if its not the right formula, it is not thier car to keep running smooth.

Ameri

Chicago
Buick Ownership
2004 Buick LeSabre
I used ACDelco 10-9395 Dexron VI with no problems. And then used valvoline Max life for the next change and I liked it too.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
From the web:
GM Dexron-VI(J) licensed products have a license number on the container that begins with the letter J. Example: J-60301. This was the first GM ATF to advertise 100,000 miles (160,000 km) between changes for "Normal Driving" conditions and 50,000 miles (80,000 km) for "Severe Service".[24] This fluid is backward compatible with Dexron-III(H) and Dexron-III(G) fluids only.

More info if needed:
DEXRON - Wikipedia

lasabre

Buick Ownership
Buick
From the web:
GM Dexron-VI(J) licensed products have a license number on the container that begins with the letter J. Example: J-60301. This was the first GM ATF to advertise 100,000 miles (160,000 km) between changes for "Normal Driving" conditions and 50,000 miles (80,000 km) for "Severe Service".[24] This fluid is backward compatible with Dexron-III(H) and Dexron-III(G) fluids only.

More info if needed:
DEXRON - Wikipedia
Thanks for the research

Zeroboostbuick

S.W. Ontario Canada
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback - 2010 Yamaha R6 (track bike) Past cars: 92 LeSabre, 98 Regal, 02 GrandPrixGT
Dexron III or dexron VI is what you want.

Dexron VI is the replacement for Dex III and will work better.

#1 is AMSOIL

#2 is Mobil 1

AC-Delco Dexron VI is good stuff too. But I would add some Lucas Transmission Fix in with the new ATF. Lucas trans fix is good for older transmissions.

Lubener

N.Ohio
Buick Ownership
"WAS" 97 Lesabre
ANY Dexron 6 will be fine. It is a licensed product annd the only difference is brand and price. Don't be fooled that you should get OEM fluid, it is no better than the others or add any additives..The important thing is you are doing a pan drop (hopefully) and changing the filter.I have used Supertech from WM because the price is best.

Check online, there are a couple of TSB's for your 4T65E transmission regarding upgrading the pan magnet and adding a clamp (Sonnax) to secure the diff. tubes which have a tendency to work loose.

Last edited:

lasabre

Buick Ownership
Buick
ANY Dexron 6 will be fine. It is a licensed product annd the only difference is brand and price. Don't be fooled that you should get OEM fluid, it is no better than the others or add any additives..The important thing is you are doing a pan drop (hopefully) and changing the filter.I have used Supertech from WM because the price is best.

Check online, there are a couple of TSB's for your 4T65E transmission regarding upgrading the pan magnet and adding a clamp (Sonnax) to secure the diff. tubes which have a tendency to work loose.
thanks for the heads up on the service TSB

Ameri

Chicago
Buick Ownership
2004 Buick LeSabre
Thank you for that Lubner! I did those upgrades last year 😎

Ameri

Chicago
Buick Ownership
2004 Buick LeSabre
I beginning to believe that it wont matter if I should use a fully synthetic,blend, or conventional with Dextron VI by adding it or changing it .
I agree. Honestly, I’d rather change conventional every 60k or so, than change a synthetic every 100k. After all, you always want fresh fluid. But some might disagree.

LARRY70GS

Oakland Gardens, N.Y.
Buick Ownership
98 Riviera, 70 GS455 Stg1
I have used Dexron 6 for the last 2 oil changes in my 98 Riviera. The car has the original transmission at 192K. I change it every 20,000 miles and have done so since I bought the car with 86,000 miles in 2004. It shifts mint.

BTW, I use Dexron 6 in the THM 400 in my 1970 GS455. All Dexron is backwards compatible.

Pedal Commander